Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Palio 1.6 Sport- Seeking Advice

Two weeks ago, I heard some tinkering noise from under the hood at the start from the cold engine in the morning. It stopped after about 50 meters.
Again when I started the car after a few hrs same tinkering noise once & it stopped after a couple of seconds.

Next day I took it to Prerana Motors on OMR. The service engineer said that "the alignment of the timing belt is off" and he will get it done when I go for second service. (which was already booked for 2 days later).

2nd Servive was done last Wednesday & the noise was not present for one full day after that. (cold engine / hot engine).

However on Friday I started hearing similar noise during regular running of the car. earlier it was just at the start !!!

One more visit to A_S_S, the service engineer checked & is asking me to leave the car with them overnight, so they can check the belt issue on cold / hot engine at regular intervals.

Is it OK to leave the car with them overnight?
Old 28th April 2008, 11:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

If its there only during cold starts i guess it should the the tappets. i doubt its got anything to do with the timing belt coz you would have other issues to in case of a mis aligned timing belt. The tappets on the FIAT 1.6 is hydraulic and cannot be adjusted (Not sure about the technicalities but thats what i know). Check your engine oil level and top up if necessary.

i suggest you do some more research before giving it to them. I seriously dont think they need to work on the timing belt. How much km have you done on the car?
Old 28th April 2008, 12:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If its there only during cold starts i guess it should the the tappets. i doubt its got anything to do with the timing belt coz you would have other issues to in case of a mis aligned timing belt. The tappets on the FIAT 1.6 is hydraulic and cannot be adjusted (Not sure about the technicalities but thats what i know). Check your engine oil level and top up if necessary.

i suggest you do some more research before giving it to them. I seriously dont think they need to work on the timing belt. How much km have you done on the car?
7000 Kms done.

2nd service there was a oil change & all the top ups were done.

unfortunately every time I take the car to him the stupid noise doesn't come .The service guy says they have to observe when the noise comes.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:08   #4
BHPian

frankly, i dont see much of an issue leaving your car with the *** overnight, as long as they have a security guy to ensure your car is not stolen. you have to trust them so much. because if they have to flick any part etc, what they can do during night, they can do during the day as well, right? all it takes is less than an hour for flicking anything, if that is your concern.
cheers,
Harsha

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th April 2008 at 15:42. Reason: Removed Color Tag, Please avoid posting with Tags
Old 28th April 2008, 15:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is it a very minor rattling noise that comes from under the engine? Is it there while climbing slopes? Is it there only when the engine is cold?

At 7K km i dont think they should be touching your timing belt.

Lets hear from some more on the forum before you give it for service.

I have been hearing a small rattling noise while driving particularly on slopes. It is there even if the car is hot or cold. It feels like some metal piece rattling while the engine tries to pull. I have been thinking its the tappets and have decided to live with it. I just switch on the a/c and pull up the windows.

Last edited by gemithomas : 28th April 2008 at 15:27.
Old 28th April 2008, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

i can learn from your posts that its the tappet noise. it comes on the up-slope and cold starts. get your valve tappets setting checked from them
Old 28th April 2008, 17:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Is it a very minor rattling noise that comes from under the engine? Is it there while climbing slopes? Is it there only when the engine is cold?

I have been hearing a small rattling noise while driving particularly on slopes. It is there even if the car is hot or cold. It feels like some metal piece rattling while the engine tries to pull.
Yes I think its the same thing that I'm facing.

BTW what is a tappet?

most importantly whats the solution?
Old 29th April 2008, 12:16   #8
BHPian

Whats the implication of this tappets making this noise?
Old 30th April 2008, 01:44   #9

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I'm not really sure but i think the fiat 1.6 engine has self adjusting hydraulic tappets.Can somebody please confirm?
Old 30th April 2008, 17:54   #10
BHPian

I guess I know what you talking about, since my Palio faces the same problem on a cold start. The noise comes from the catalytic converter, it goes away when it warms up. The noise lasts for a very very brief period. Difficult to describe, but it sounds like loose metal parts in a can in a distance. I wouldn't worry too much. Are you really careful while releasing the clutch when you begin your first drive of the day?

Last edited by mb_jg : 30th April 2008 at 17:55.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I guess I know what you talking about, since my Palio faces the same problem on a cold start. The noise comes from the catalytic converter, it goes away when it warms up. The noise lasts for a very very brief period. Difficult to describe, but it sounds like loose metal parts in a can in a distance. I wouldn't worry too much. Are you really careful while releasing the clutch when you begin your first drive of the day?
The description of the noise is same. Its quite annoying.

My point is it should not be there in the first place So how to get rid of it?
Old 5th May 2008, 20:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have been hearing a small rattling noise while driving particularly on slopes. It is there even if the car is hot or cold. It feels like some metal piece rattling while the engine tries to pull. I have been thinking its the tappets and have decided to live with it. I just switch on the a/c and pull up the windows.

You are right. Its only during the initial pull phase. I did face the same issue. After the first service it has stopped. Have to see whether it still persists. I don't think its a big issue. Enjoy!
Old 6th May 2008, 09:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

I talked to the service guy here. He is not sure about what the sound is. But he says its there on most palios and that its very prominent on the Stile version especially the 1.1.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:49   #14
BHPian

Update

Quote:
I talked to the service guy here. He is not sure about what the sound is. But he says its there on most palios and that its very prominent on the Stile version especially the 1.1.
Thanks Gemi,
I'd been to the A-S-S today morning, the engineer fiddled for 30 mins near the engine block and has adjusted some stuff. I mentioned the issue of tappets, but he ruled it out.
I've driven about 9KM since then in varied conditions and speed, but NO noise so far. Will check it on the cold engine and update.
cheers:
Old 6th May 2008, 21:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Thanks Gemi,
I'd been to the A-S-S today morning, the engineer fiddled for 30 mins near the engine block and has adjusted some stuff. I mentioned the issue of tappets, but he ruled it out.
I've driven about 9KM since then in varied conditions and speed, but NO noise so far. Will check it on the cold engine and update.
cheers:
please let us know what he has done. I think it would be a boon to a lot of people if he has been able to solve the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks