Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 19:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange Rattling in Alto Lxi

Hi Experts

I am witnessing a very strange mettalic rattling sound in my Alto LXi whilst taking a left turn @30kmph+.This mettallic sound is also present when going over small humps.... Had both the CV joints checked from MASS and were found to be ok. What all do I need to get checked...

Thanks
Rahul

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 26th May 2008 at 19:02. Reason: Spell Check
Old 26th May 2008, 21:04   #2
BANNED

this might be an indication of a bad axle
Old 26th May 2008, 21:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

You could also check the 'liners' inside each front wheel well; maybe one of them has got 'unstuck' partially and is fouling with the wheel. I would not classify that sound as 'metallic' though.
Old 26th May 2008, 21:46   #4
BHPian

driveshafts checked?
Old 26th May 2008, 22:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
MASS checked both the Drives Shafts and CV joints for any issues and found them to be ok..
However I will ask them to recheck by opening the stuff called drive shaft /axle etc....This is only coming when taking a left turn.Apart from this any other expert pointer..

This seems to be a one off case....Not sure if anyone else having an alto has seen this kind of issue.

Thnx
Rahul

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
Which One.. Front/Rear

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th May 2008 at 13:38.
Old 27th May 2008, 06:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Which One.. Front/Rear
Front.

Also:
Have all the the undercarriage bolts checked for tightness.
Have the front brake assemblies checked for wear and consequential 'play'.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
MASS checked both the Drives Shafts and CV joints for any issues and found them to be ok..
However I will ask them to recheck by opening the stuff called drive shaft /axle etc....This is only coming when taking a left turn.Apart from this any other expert pointer..

This seems to be a one off case....Not sure if anyone else having an alto has seen this kind of issue.

Thnx
Rahul
No!!! you are not alone. This sound is more of a metal to metal grinding sound! Comes from left front side. My alto had exactly same problem. Got everything checked which you can imagine of.

The problem is still there after 1 year!
Old 27th May 2008, 13:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
No!!! you are not alone. This sound is more of a metal to metal grinding sound! Comes from left front side. My alto had exactly same problem. Got everything checked which you can imagine of.

The problem is still there after 1 year!
Akash, which service centre are you using? Surely you have not given up trying to find a solution to this?!
Old 27th May 2008, 13:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

A similar thing in our Alto too

Quote:
...mettallic sound is also present when going over small humps.... ...
For some time now, I am also getting some mild rattling sound in my father's Alto, but only when going over small humps.....it is still under observation ...I am not sure it is a problem, since the ride is otherwise normal..I mean, i dont feel any steering hardness/vibration or drivetrain straining etc.. So havent got it checked yet. Probably some suspension bushes are getting worn out...will get it checked at next service.

Quote:
MASS checked both the Drives Shafts and CV joints for any issues and found them to be ok.. ...
Maybe, you should get the steering/suspension elements also checked ?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 27th May 2008 at 13:47.
Old 27th May 2008, 13:46   #10
BANNED

I get a rattling sound from the rear....and also near the passenger door. It sounds more plasticky than metallic.

and it only happens within the first 15 mins of starting and driving the car. any suggestions?

everytime i take the car to the service centre, the noise doesnt show up when the technician comes for a test rice. So this time around I have used my phone to capture a video. Will shortly upload it and link u guys. In fact I have been postponing my ICE just because of this so that the service center guys dont blame it on the ICE!
Old 27th May 2008, 13:49   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

we had it on the alto vxi as well... ABT found it to be the shaft
Old 27th May 2008, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
For some time now, I am also getting some mild rattling sound in my father's Alto, but only when going over small humps.....
Maybe, you should get the steering/suspension elements also checked ?
So I am not the only one... I have fixed a appt with MASS to TD the car around the place where I stay as there are ample of left turns windings with some 80degree left handers where the noise is pretty awfully evident(with sparewheel, toolkit and jack & without them as well ~ just to rule out some trivial noise makers.)

Like others have suggested, Ill get all the suspensions, linkages,swaybar, shafts,steering wheel components. underbody nuts etc...checked out

Initially I thought it was the torsion bar or something like that getting loosened and therefore on a tight bend when the pressure was being exerted on them they were touching the underbody parts.. or maybe the left side suspension / damper might have gone for toss..This started when I went to Panchagani during first week of may

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 27th May 2008 at 14:05.
Old 27th May 2008, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
we had it on the alto vxi as well... ABT found it to be the shaft
So there you are gentlemen!
INSIST on renewal of the left shaft, on condition that if this NOT the issue they may revert!
Old 27th May 2008, 14:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
So there you are gentlemen!
INSIST on renewal of the left shaft, on condition that if this NOT the issue they may revert!
Yup .. from the information in this thread...seems like the left drive shaft maybe the culprit. Thursday is the day when this will be checked out for my alto. Ill will update the thread with findings & pics if possible. Hope to nail the culprit.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup .. from the information in this thread...seems like the left drive shaft maybe the culprit. Thursday is the day when this will be checked out for my alto. Ill will update the thread with findings & pics if possible. Hope to nail the culprit.

Ok Did a longish testdrive with the mass technician today instead of tommorow......and on tight left turns the noise was caught red handed by the snr mass technician as well... They said they will check out the same(LEFT DRIVE SHAFT) by opening the things etc and return the vehicle day after tommorow after rectification. The noise was pretty familiar to them it seems..I distinctly remember one of them say "Oh! heh noise ka...tujha Left Shaft cha noise aahe, tencha cv joint gayela."

Thanks to all for pin pointing this(LEFT DRIVE SHAFT) thing cheers:. I O U one

Next update when i get the vehicle

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 28th May 2008 at 18:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks