Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2015, 07:04   #46
BHPian

Re: swift-vdi Gear box fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Tried searching but couldn't find a related post for the newer swifts.

Also, over the course of this week, I have observed that it is getting slightly difficult to slot the car into both 1st and reverse gears as well.

Just wondering, should I ask for a complete gearbox replacement? I am skeptical of more faults developing once the gearbox has been opened and the synchronizer rings replaced and the car is back on road, especially since the warranty on the car also ends this year. It would not be as good as it rolled off from the factory right - something like an unopened engine. Of course, a lot depends on the workmanship - but that is the big grey area!

Is there any merit in my thinking, and do MASS cater to such demands, or they just dismiss it off summarily?
Dont worry, MASS guys open a lot of gearboxes and I'm sure they'll do a good job. Did the MASS guys specifically state which parts specifically are at fault in the gearbox? I believe they're referring to the low speed synchro assembly responsible for engaging first and second gears. Are they sure this isn't just a gear linkage bushing issue. Get a second opinion just in case before opening the gearbox as linkage bushing issues present with similar gear slotting issues.If it is an issue with just one synchro hub out of the three and other gearbox parts are fine then its unlikely they'll change the entire gearbox for you.
Old 7th February 2015, 07:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Bumping up a really old thread, but my problem seems to be exactly the same.

My Nov 2013 Swift Vdi's gearbox has been acting strange lately. I cannot shift down from 3rd to 2nd gear.All other shifting sequences are working fine. The only way to downshift is take it straight to 1st and then move to 2nd.

The car has run around 16k kms so far.
Had faced a similar problem while shifting into reverse very early on (before the 1st free service). Was resolved in the 1st free service (I was told it needed some greasing!). Anyways the gearbox functioned well till last week.

Took it to MASS this sunday, and they said the Synchronizer rings need to be replaced, and the gearbox would need to be overhauled- was told it would be done FOC under warranty. But they didn't have the part in stock, and have asked to come next week. Casually chatted up with the SA who said they have been getting a lot of cars with the same problem, and all of it replaced under warranty.

Anyone else aware/heard of such an occurrence in Swifts? Is this similar to the Rear Axle silent recall/replacement program? Do these rings last just 10-15k kms? None of the other cars we owned (including a Tata Indica ) had their gearboxes opened and worked on upon so early in their lives.

Also, any other part that would need to be replaced which would take collateral damage upon opening/overhaul of the gearbox?
Its okay. A good A.S.S should be able to make your car as good as new!

Mine was changed at ~90k or so (I posted in this thread only, page 3). The car has done only 25k since then but runs just fine - touchwood.

EDIT - Saw you're in Gurgaon. Head straight to Apra. Speak to Azam khan or Amit Saini (if they're still around!). They are excellent service advisors who'll get it done just fine.

Last edited by phamilyman : 7th February 2015 at 07:26.
Old 8th February 2015, 15:00   #48
BHPian

Planning to give it in sometime this week. Keeping fingers crossed they don't mess up anything.

@phamilyman : Thanks for the tip. Would ask for these people.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 20th February 2015, 15:43   #49
BHPian

Update on the issue: This has still not been resolved.

Have been to Apra twice over the last two weekends, and they said the part has still not arrived, and they have no clue as to when it would come to them. This kind of irked me as I have been juggling around a lot of things to take out time for these workshop visits, and every time they have the same answer for me. I spoke to the workshop in-charge, who too expressed his inability to confirm by when the part will be available, and mentioned that they already have a lot of back orders for this particular product. He however said the said part was in stock in Pasco, and I can try them out.

So much for the long service relationship I maintained with Apra!
OT: But I have heard that Apra is on the verge of shutting down. My FIL (who had been an Apra loyalist) had to buy his Ciaz from Rana Motors as Apra isnt being allotted new cars.

Anyways, I head off to Pasco, and tell the SA there that I have had the problem diagnosed from Apra, and have come to Pasco since the part was out of stock at Apra.
The SA doesn't drive the car, just looks at the service booklet to check that the vehicle is under warranty and says that the syncro rings would be changed FOC under warranty, but the clutchplate will also have to be changed, and since that is not covered under warranty, I'll have to pay 4000+taxes+ labor.

Now, this really started getting onto my nerves and I questioned him why should the clutch plate be changed? He sounded very arrogant and says it is standard procedure and it needs to be changed with the syncro rings. I was shocked to hear this at first, and tried to understand his logic for the same. But all he could come up with was that is the procedure. At this point, I just put my foot down and declared I will not pay for the clutch plate, as the gearbox is not being worked upon for my fault.

I was getting very frustrated and asked to speak to the workshop manager. I was quite adamant that I would not pay for the clutch plate change. Above all, my question was how can they ask for a clutch plate change without even driving the car once? Now, in the workshop manager's cabin, the SA assumes a totally different demeanor. He says he just suggested that it might need to be changed if it is found faulty - something very different from his original stance.
I gave both of them a good piece of my mind, and was about to walk out, when the SA apologized and said they will open the gearbox, inspect the clutch plate, and change only if required.

But by this time it was already post 2PM Saturday, and they would have only delivered the car by Monday. So I just left saying I would return next week.

This issue is really dragging on for a long time. I plan to give Rana motors a try this week. Pasco still remains the unscrupulous dealers they were when we used to give our old 800 to them for service some 15 yrs back!

Last edited by Eddy : 20th February 2015 at 16:05. Reason: Extra Smiley

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks