Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Corolla engine block defect. EDIT : Toyota provides resolution

I recently purchased a toyota corolla from nagpur in the first week of april.All was good until I took the car for the first free service @ 1320km.I told the service advisor 2-3 issues like,I accidently dropped a 5 rupee coin in the handbrake cosole,the gear was making tick tick noise while engaging in 5th and reverse (which was solved,they said it was some bearing).
But when the service advisor opened the bonnet before taking for service,I for the first time minutely observed the engine block from the side,and to my surprise I found that it was completely rough and unfinished from one side (the visible one).I immediately called the service manager and told him about it.He at once agreed that it was a manufacturing defect,but comforted me that it wont affect the engine in any way.He said that the rough part was covering the timing assembly,and if need be he would get that part replaced.
He took pictures of it,and told me that he will mail it to TKM bangalore,but since 1 week even after one reminder there was no response from him.So yesterday I mailed TKM myself,and got immediate reply although from entry level customer care execs.
The dealer also called me today morning since he must have recieved whack from bangalore.
Lets see how things proceed from here.
Any advice will be appreciated.Below are the pics of my corolla's engine
Attached Thumbnails
Corolla engine block defect. EDIT : Toyota provides resolution-enginebay1.jpg  

Corolla engine block defect. EDIT : Toyota provides resolution-enginebay2.jpg  

Old 18th June 2008, 16:27   #2
BANNED

Looks like Corolla's extended stay in the market affecting its quality
Keep us updated about the reply from Toyota Management
Old 18th June 2008, 16:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seems like they forgot to finish off the forged engine block from outside.

Its a QC problem not a defect.
Old 18th June 2008, 16:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Seems like they forgot to finish off the forged engine block from outside.

Its a QC problem not a defect.
i cannot digest that Toyota QC will pass such a defect on an engine which is very visible when installing in the engine bay. there is some mischief.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is a pressure die casted component. Only the surface is bad. It is due to cold die when the piece is casted.

No need to worry. It is ok.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

I'd like to see a pic of another corolla before I pass judgment about Toyota's QC. I really don't think these things are checked at QC on how the block looks.

If that were the case then honda's QC is not as great either. The Civic's wheel well has a very sharp and uneven cut and it is very easy to cut your fingers with that. Most of the light coloured brand new accords like gold and white have paint visible inside the plastic wheel well on the suspension components. I noticed this at the dakshin honda stock yard.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

First check other toyota corolla engine, second if its just cosmetic dont bother. There is no point in opening up a new engine from factory to fix cosmetic issues.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

The rough finished component is the cylinder head and not the block.

From the photograph it looks like casting imperfection on the outside. This is not a major problem and i don't think TKM would replace it on warranty if it's just a rough cast on the outside.

If you insist TKM to change it then what they'll probably do is sand it down and polish it to perfection and they will tell you that it has been replaced
Old 18th June 2008, 22:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
There is no point in opening up a new engine from factory to fix cosmetic issues.
I completely agree with you jaggu.No point in opening up a brand new engine just for finishing purpose.But there is one doubt in my mind.What if there is a similiar kind of finish on the inside of the block somewhere.Then I might be in big trouble sooner or later.
I also checked other engines in the service area,they were super smooth.Although it was dumb to expect that this kind of finish is the norm at toyota.
They are coming at my place tomorrow,lets see what the suggest.
Old 18th June 2008, 22:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
,but since 1 week even after one reminder there was no response from him.So yesterday I mailed TKM myself,and got immediate reply although from entry level customer care execs.
The dealer also called me today morning since he must have recieved whack from bangalore.
That is very impressive. No wonder Toyota is number 1 in the world.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well,I think that you are talking about the Head and not the Block.
If the engine performance is not affected, then you need not worry. Its just not properly finished.

Drive another corolla to judge if at all you are facing any performance, FE ( Fuel Effeciency ) issue.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:16   #12
BHPian

bump
I forgot to update.The engine block covering the timing assembly was replaced free of cost by toyota,in about fifteen days time from the complaint.Since then touchwood no issues.
Old 4th September 2008, 04:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! That is the way complaints should be treated. Now only if some bigwig at Honda India would read this and treat their customers likewise...IF wishes were horses..
Old 4th September 2008, 04:47   #14
Team-BHP Support

A big thumbs up to Toyota.

We have a few threads running for Honda with the customers literally at the end of their wits with manufacturing defects and toyota even when the chips are down haven't forgotten customer service.

Looking forward for a turn of fortunes with the new corolla.
Old 4th September 2008, 05:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

a close look and i see a sticker below the unfinished part, man it totally ignored it, one would have easily noticed it while the sticker being stuck there.

OT: about the Honda, they can learn alot from hyundai and toyota here about customer after sales service, and end customer satisfaction about the product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks