Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 19:49   #1
BANNED

How Can we be sure that it is premium fuel?

In coimbatore, most outlets only supply premium fuels. Its the same case all over Tamilnadu. and its worst in chennai...

I drove lancer to fill it up with diesel. But they told me that only premium is available. Though i was ready to fill it. I got some doubt, that how can we get assured that the fuel is premium or ordinary. There is possibilities that they can sell ordinary fuel at premium price (courtesy: fuel shortage all over coimbatore and chennai , as i know) .

So i didnt use that station. so went for next. same answer there. Is there any solution to find whether it is premium or ordinary??
Old 30th June 2008, 20:10   #2
BHPian

I don't think a common man, who goes into the bunk for 5-10 mins to fill fuel has any way of knowing if he is paying a premium for ordinary fuel. My best guess is, Fuel bunk owners are making a real kill at the moment selling ordinary fuel at priemum rates and the common man is taken for a ride every time he fills at the bunk.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone mentioned that they actually have "normal" and "premium" dispensers connected to the same underground storage tank ;-)

I fill from the same Indian Oil bunk every time, but still I can tell (based on the mileage I get) that fuel quality is not consistent across refills.

I miss SHELL!
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2008, 20:25   #4
BHPian

That's an interesting question and there are good chances for Petrol pump owners to make quick bucks. I guess the only solution would be to go to the COCO (Company Owned, Company Operated) pumps. I am assuming that their billing and stock positions will be cross-checked by the oil company.

There are few pumps that have ordinary fuels in stock most of the time, some in Avinashi road. Depends on where you live, you may have to drive a bit longer. PM me if you need further details.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

As per I know Premium Fuels will be Reddish and normal ones orange. I always fill Petrol. Don't know about Diesel.

I am missing Shell too, I found HP COCO magadi road is quiet good but does not come close to Shell.

Now I am praying for some rule like for all type of fuels bunks (private to COCO, shell to IOC) to have same rates within state or If they make same rate across country its still better!

I am really feeling some fishy about Normal and Premium Fuels every where. It clearly shows they push for Premium Fuel.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th June 2008 at 20:42.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:55   #6
BHPian

[quote=quicksilver;886056]That's an interesting question and there are good chances for Petrol pump owners to make quick bucks. I guess the only solution would be to go to the COCO (Company Owned, Company Operated) pumps. I am assuming that their billing and stock positions will be cross-checked by the oil company.[quote]

I'm not sure if that will help much too. Most COCO outlets have an audit every 6 months and it is know by the pump owner when he can expect them. That is what i have heard and not sure.

There is no solution for this. Only idea would be to fill normal petrol rather then premium where your 6th sense works a little harder. Unless the pump owner wants to do some charity and give you premium at normal prices
Old 30th June 2008, 21:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

once at fuel station i saw tow beakers one of normal fuel and one of extra premium. i couldnt fine any difference in the color. the fuel station guy was doing a density check. i asked him how to make out the difference. he said in these many years even he couldnt.
he said it comes in tankers separated with compartments and they unload in in respective tanks.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:27   #8
BHPian

Can we ask for clarification from the company ?
Old 30th June 2008, 21:35   #9
BHPian

sometimes i think i can make difference whenever i fill premium (in my two-wheeler) the pickup seems to be good and throttle response is good. I am not sure if this is correct, just a feeling though
Old 30th June 2008, 21:46   #10
BANNED

With all your comments and inputs..i can conclude , its not pure fuel..its pure luck, which rules when filling fuel (in name of premium)..

Its fate to spend those extra money for non-extra mile!! I feel its time to mass produce fuel from waste plastics (i have read about an professor got a patent from North india and set up a company) . Why cant the govt think about this alternate fuel? We have lots of waste plastics in our country..

we can achieve two mission in these, we can get rid off plastic bags etc...and get fuel at cheap rate, save forex ..
Old 30th June 2008, 21:52   #11
BHPian

same thing i was wondering. most of the petrol bunks around west delhi are trying to push the premium fuels. now i am most certainly curious how to determine if the fuel i am paying for is premium or not?
there is no way to tell just by looking?
Old 30th June 2008, 22:16   #12
BHPian

I have got this doubt long back and stopped filling speed, extrapremium, or power. My bike and car run smooth on normal petrol.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
sometimes i think i can make difference whenever i fill premium (in my two-wheeler) the pickup seems to be good and throttle response is good. I am not sure if this is correct, just a feeling though
This is something which i have seen also. My wife's activa behaves very smooth when there is premium fuel in it. Otherwise there is a lot of vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
I have got this doubt long back and stopped filling speed, extrapremium, or power. My bike and car run smooth on normal petrol.
Same here. I have stopped it completely. Its been sometime now that most of the pumps in bangalore say that there is only premium. Has made me learn to fill fuel well before it hits the redline.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
This is something which i have seen also. My wife's activa behaves very smooth when there is premium fuel in it. Otherwise there is a lot of vibrations.
Two months back, my cousin bought Aviator and the mechanic there while delivery suggested not to fill the premium or speed fuel and to stricly use only normal unleaded fuel.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:30   #15
BHPian

speed 97 is pink in colour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks