Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 08:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Rectifier Assembly...hmm..any Idea about the cost..its a 97 esteem (carb)...

Secondly the light was constantly on only once. When I was driving on Sunday it came on for few seconds several times, is it possible it might be a case of some loose connection.

Last I time I got it checked, the voltage that my alternator was releasing was higher then what my battery was getting, so the mechanic put an additional wire, directly from the alternator to battery terminal.

And after the wire was put, after than only the battery indicator light has started to respond..
HI,

1. The recitifier assembly is not too expensive.
2. A loose connection inside the alternator is very very rare.
3. The alternator releases higher current. The rectifier / diode assembly is there to limit the current and charge the battery. Also the battery gets charged only with a constant supply of current, not a varying one.
4. I dont know what wire your mechanic put, but i can gather that it is a shortcut method to temporarily solve your problem.

cheers
Old 9th July 2008, 20:38   #17
BHPian

Once you open the alternator, the following parts need to be checked/replaced. In your case the Diode has to be replaced for sure. Other than that the Carbon Brushes will also need replacement. Have the bearings and the sintered bushes also checked. The complete job with Labour charges should not be more than 1K. Do not delay as the monsoon are here.

Normally a well charged up battery will draw very less charging current from the Alternator. The diode (Electronic Rectifier) literally senses the strenght of the battery and sends higher or lower charging current at various RPMs of the engine and also upon the extent of usage. It will send the maximum current at night when the headlamps, AC, wipers are all working together. Modern Alternators are totally trouble free that take a lot of abuse unlike the old voltage regulators that had to adjusted manually each time you took the car on a long run.

God bless.....

Last edited by soccer : 9th July 2008 at 20:47.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:38   #18
BHPian

I was once again stranded on Wednesday night when my battery stopped getting charged. And the problem is that I have power windows, and the one the passenger side was completely rolled down. the drivers was half rolled, so I pulled it up, however was stuck with the passenger window. Anyhow, I took the valuables out and put in the gear lock.

Went back the morning and thank god, the place where I parked my car had a mechanic right next to it. So he opened the alternator and told me that 'cut-out' was gone. Replaced that with a genuine Denso one (Rs.1050 + Rs.350 labour). As of now its running fine, lets see what happens.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:53   #19
BHPian

Thx to you all. following thing I did at MASS
Alternator OH - 650/-
Complete paid service- 600/-
rubber padding for all four doors 400/- as my windows was rattling.
earlier i had mention that my AC compressor was making a lot of noise- I made inquires at MASS as to how much it would cost to change the compressor- the answer was 21000/-
I was pissed off and dicided to live with it.

all in all today my car ( ZEN LXI ) is as peppy as before and trouble free, the only thing that bothers me it the noise of compressor. If any one can help me in getting me a compressor at cheapper rate would be helpful.
Uday
Old 11th July 2008, 12:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
If any one can help me in getting me a compressor at cheapper rate would be helpful.
Uday
You need not change the compressor, could get it overhauled, replace bearing etc..which should not cost you more than 5 to 6K.

I'm sure our tbhpians from Mumbai may be able to help you on this.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Check it out for a few days by driving more in the night with all electricals operating so that the changed cut-out's working gets tested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I was once again stranded on Wednesday night when my battery stopped getting charged. And the problem is that I have power windows, and the one the passenger side was completely rolled down. the drivers was half rolled, so I pulled it up, however was stuck with the passenger window. Anyhow, I took the valuables out and put in the gear lock.

Went back the morning and thank god, the place where I parked my car had a mechanic right next to it. So he opened the alternator and told me that 'cut-out' was gone. Replaced that with a genuine Denso one (Rs.1050 + Rs.350 labour). As of now its running fine, lets see what happens.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:55   #22
BHPian

if your compressor is making noise, in most of the cases it would be the bearing. Get it changed, should cost around Rs.800 including the labour.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Check it out for a few days by driving more in the night with all electricals operating so that the changed cut-out's working gets tested..
People like me, generally drive in night only. cheers:
Old 11th July 2008, 13:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would have somebody visually inspect all the wiring harnessess and wires under the bonnet for a short. Such a short may be caused by wires or harness moving or vibrating from road bumps or engine operation causing insulation to wear off and make contact. If the temperature changes or the engine vibrates the right way, the short will go away temporarily but will happen again and it will get worse with time, if that is what it is.
Old 11th July 2008, 18:55   #25
BHPian

Thx for all the help. My AC and compressor is fine and cooling is very good , but there is noise comming from compressor, Its not the the clutch or bearing but the compressor itself that makes the noise, i can nere when the AC cutes off and when its starts again then again the noise comes, At the start when you start the car the noise is very loud, but as you drive on the noise subside but itile one can hear it inside the cabin. Cooling is very good and thats why i have not change it, but some where down the line I need to change it, Can any one from mumbai guide me as to where I can get a subros compressor at a cheaper rate or a second hand good compressor, MASS is charging me 21000/-
uday
Old 12th July 2008, 08:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Its not the the clutch or bearing but the compressor itself that makes the noise, i can nere when the AC cutes off and when its starts again then again the noise comes, At the start when you start the car the noise is very loud, but as you drive on the noise subside but itile one can hear it inside the cabin.
Sir, it is definitely the bearings, the compressor by itself cannot make any noise. WHy not just change the bearings and check? You might be surprised.

Also, there is a lubrication oil that needs to be filled in the compressor. Maybe you are running it dry!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks