Team-BHP - TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/42229-techspec-understanding-board-diagnostics-also-known-ecu-ecm-ems-2.html)

Thanks for the appreciation guys, it does help :)

A lot of reading, a lot of patience and a lot of hair tearing ;) + a thought process on how to keep it simple, straight.
Quote:

Originally Posted by married2speed (Post 898217)
Fish! What do I say. Too bad I'm only allow 2 smileysclap:clap:
I'm not a techinical guy but a learner. This will keep me busy for a months, if not a year. Dadu bhai, how many days did it take you to compile all this?
Awesome stuff, simply awesome.
Cheers!
M2S

Agree, OBD was developed for emmision monitoring but is now used by many tuners through the OBD port for tuning the ECU's. And the scantools are not the only tools used for decoding and tuning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by memo45_m (Post 898445)
Well this de-coding can be done only by a scan tool either genric or manufacturer specfic. OBDII systems are used only to help and assist in diagonosing the problems in a vehicle and they are mainly used to moniter emission systems, but the ease of diagonisis had led to the monitering of everything on a vehicle from the exhaust gas to the tire pressure.

Again Agree that the best way to reflash is using the manufacturer scantool but that will reset it to factory settings but the manufacturer tools are not equipped for hardcore tuning like changing the maps etc, they just allow for some very generic adjustments. This does not solve the purpose of professional tuners.

Quote:

By the way the best way to flash or re -flash a stock ecu/ecm is through the manafacurer scantool(through a second on-board port speckic for the manufacturer scan-tool), other reflash modules and chips avilable on ebay and amazon really do no good or just let you vary ignition and injector timing, that to not supported by all ecm/ecu's

The term "mislead" used by me meant that the original ECU still thinks that its communicating directly with the engine whereas its not for all its other parameters.

Quote:

The Pete's box is nothing but a piggy-back system, it does not mis-lead the stock ecu it just sends the readings in a form and sense in which the ecu is set to recive by the manufacturer, but on the other had it takes the in come values from the ecm and bcm and modifies it for a better and more accurate value(as in insted of the 1 millisecond the ecu commands the injector to open it does in in the tenths of a millisecond), hence forth physically increasing the performance characterstics of the engine to a notable extent.

@ dadu - That is a plethora of info. will need you help to understand it in detail. But lead me read it completely first. Thanx a tonne for working so hard on it and sharing it with us.clap:clap:

Oh dadu thats a treasure load fo information , thank you very much for sharing

It took me quite a while to get thorugh all that information

Just can't seem to get enough of this threat.... oops! I mean thread lol:. Goin to rate it a 5er

Cheers!
M2S

Thanks dadu!!!

And another five-star from me :)

Good one Mate.

Me being hard core Auto-electronics freak really enjoyed this article.

Any website or a book where we can study deeper into these systems.

Little bit off topic :OT

"Fuel Level Sensor : Reports the output voltage of the fuel level sensor"

Any idea how I can get more info on these. I am interested in information like, is it current based or voltage based, how much current or voltage variation will a car has for a liter of petrol change in fuel tank.

I was trying to build a micro controller based digital fuel gauge for Carb Zen. Tried pouring petrol liter by liter to fuel tank and reading the output voltage at the wire which gives to analog fuel gauge indicator. But it showed constant voltage even after pouring 5 liters of petrol. Did some googling but not much help :-(

Default For posts with [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags
For posts with [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags

In PM

Dear BHPian,

Thread EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation.

Well my bad, the factory scan tools are no longer used only for scanning they are now known as Tech tools and they can have additional plugins to the help them tune or completely change base maps but they still cannot do much with the adaptive learn systems that is where the piggy-back systems come in and do the mis-leading bit. Out of personal experince have done a lot of base map changes on GM cars using the GM TECH III tech tool with additional plugin supplied only to manufacturer dealers by the manufacturer and it is usually when a re-call or tsb is issued, that such a procedure is carried out.
I am not trying to say your wrong but just updating on the right tune conditions or the latest manufacturer play toys.

Nicely done. A wonderfully simple write-up that totals most functions of the ECU setup.

Good work, dadu....

Thats the key, the base scanners are good enough only for the generic diagnostic and I am not even sure how many technicians are even trained enough here, to carry out those remaps using the plugin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by memo45_m (Post 899470)
Well my bad, the factory scan tools are no longer used only for scanning they are now known as Tech tools and they can have additional plugins to the help them tune or completely change base maps but they still cannot do much with the adaptive learn systems that is where the piggy-back systems come in and do the mis-leading bit. Out of personal experince have done a lot of base map changes on GM cars using the GM TECH III tech tool with additional plugin supplied only to manufacturer dealers by the manufacturer and it is usually when a re-call or tsb is issued, that such a procedure is carried out.
I am not trying to say your wrong but just updating on the right tune conditions or the latest manufacturer play toys.

PM'ed you some info, on where to get this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by recshenoy (Post 899074)

"Fuel Level Sensor : Reports the output voltage of the fuel level sensor"

Any idea how I can get more info on these. I am interested in information like, is it current based or voltage based, how much current or voltage variation will a car has for a liter of petrol change in fuel tank.

Ok as far as India is concerned Maruti, Honda, Toyota, GM, Merc ,BMW, Ford have training sessions for the master techs in the dealerships if such a procedure is required as being a mech comes from the family and not through a trade school, but yes most master techs in the big dealerships of most companies do now how to use the tech tools.
As far as I know the GM(parts and service), Formen and lead techs of the one of the RNS group get videos sent to them demonstration on how to use these tools or new toys before the recall or tsb is actually sent out, Have been there and seen it, even have all the info related to the 07 Maruti SX4.
Well just adding more info not contradicting you as I go to a trade school, I am also hold ASE master tech certification. And this is the field that I really love working in.

Thanks for this informative thread Dadu. Need some help from you.

I have Alto LXi that I bought this year. Would you know if it is feasible to to procure OBD scantool for this car.

What I am planning to do:

1. READ ONLY -- No changes to tuning or anything else
2. Hook up Cell phone or Laptop to OBD port
3. Display Engine RPM and other stats on Cell or Laptop.

Have seen Scan tools on net that can transmit data to Bluetooth. Would be ideal if something similar can work with Alto.

Unfortunately as tested by Absar the OBDII compliant scantools dont work with any Maruti cars, therefore its best to peep-in on what scantool the MASS uses and then buy the same.

The Japs are using different standard (ref my 1st post).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 899781)
Thanks for this informative thread Dadu. Need some help from you.

I have Alto LXi that I bought this year. Would you know if it is feasible to to procure OBD scantool for this car.

What I am planning to do:

1. READ ONLY -- No changes to tuning or anything else
2. Hook up Cell phone or Laptop to OBD port
3. Display Engine RPM and other stats on Cell or Laptop.

Have seen Scan tools on net that can transmit data to Bluetooth. Would be ideal if something similar can work with Alto.

Thanks Memo45 for your inputs.

Maruti has just up to a different data streaming also known as the Communication Area Network (CAN) for the 07 model year cars - for which presently they have upgraded fron the Tech-2 to the SDT OBDII interphaser (If i am right it supports all fetures of the Tech-2). Because the CAN communcations speed is higher the aftermarket display and generic scantools do on recognize the OBDII protocol. CAN is also being used in Ford, GM and most European and Japanese cars.

Thanks for the answer Dadu and Memo45

Another noob question..

If I got it right, Maruti uses CAN protocol for OBD. And readers that support CAN should be able to read data from OBD port in Alto.

Is that reasonable interpretation?

Check with Absar or Eapen if scangauge has CAN protocol, if it has, answer is NO, since it didnt work with Maruti cars,

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 899909)
Thanks for the answer Dadu and Memo45

Another noob question..

If I got it right, Maruti uses CAN protocol for OBD. And readers that support CAN should be able to read data from OBD port in Alto.

Is that reasonable interpretation?