Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 18:01   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKi10 View Post
Hi,

I need some help here. I have purchased a 2006 Palio 1.6 Sports.
The engine check lamp doesn't come on when the ignition is turned on.
Got this checked with a Fiat mech, and he says nothing to worry as there is no problem with acceleration or there is no missing. The car runs just fine.

My worry is will this bring up any issues later?

Regards,
Alex
Guys at Fiat will have a Scan tool which they will hook up to the ECU and scan for any errors etc. If any isn't they'll clear it.

Since your car is 2006 manufactured it is not OBD 2 complaint.

Anurag.
Old 9th March 2014, 19:22   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKi10 View Post
The engine check lamp doesn't come on when the ignition is turned on.
Got this checked with a Fiat mech, and he says nothing to worry as there is no problem with acceleration or there is no missing. The car runs just fine.

My worry is will this bring up any issues later?
I would think it is a simple question of the CEL bulb blown. Now, that might sound simple, but on some cars, replacing the bulbs and or LEDs in the Dash is a real royal PITA!

In itself its not an issue at all, but if there are in the future issues the CEL light will not come up and you won't have a clue. Not all issues that light up the CEL require immediate attention, but you do want to know that something is amiss, so you can take an educated decision as to what to do. Leave it, get it fixed etc.

As yours isn't working you will never know until you hook up a scanner.

Jeroen
Old 14th March 2014, 15:30   #63
BHPian

Re: TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
If the DTC comes back, then they'll need to systematically go through the procedure mentioned in the Service Manual.
Update: The yellow light has been coming on and off after several driving cycles. Took the car to MASS (Apra, Gurgaon) but their expert didn't have much to do other than recommending a change. When I challenged him to follow the troubleshooting procedure, he was not at all happy about it. Then I forced him to bring the manual and follow the guidelines. The guidelines didn't have much to do. The calibration basically means disconnecting the battery cables. He basically recommended a throttle body clean-up which I got done for Rs 980. Let's see if this fixes the problem after I drive a few times.

Most Viewed