Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 09:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

How about adding a can of injector flush in a tankfull and then see the results? I'm generally averse to opening up unnecessarily unless absolutely required.

Once in a while an addition of 100 ml 2T oil with fuel will help a lot. An old saying and practice with dieselers...

oops...check the vaccum modulator. It could be the culprit...Is the vibration sound like .....baaarrrp?

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th July 2008 at 09:26.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:46   #17
BHPian

Hi gd1418,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How about adding a can of injector flush in a tankfull and then see the results?...
Been using Turbojet which I understand has additives to keep the fuel systems clean.

Quote:
I'm generally averse to opening up unnecessarily unless absolutely required.
Agreed, so am I.

Quote:
Once in a while an addition of 100 ml 2T oil with fuel will help a lot. An old saying and practice with dieselers...
This was useful (I believe) with the 'older' diesel engines (where the injectorss were not so fine), but with today's technology, I would be averse to adding anything to the fuel. It may end up blocking the fuel flow through the lines, pump, fiter...injectors etc..?

Quote:
oops...check the vaccum modulator. It could be the culprit...Is the vibration sound like .....baaarrrp?
No, its not a ... "baaarrrp" (!!!). Its extremely similar to what would happen if you partially restrict the fuel flow to one injector at a particular rpm, but without the power loss that would ensue by doing that. May even be a harmonic vibration...which would be extremely difficult to find.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Pls take it to the dealer and see if an pending codes has been set , please use only the fuel mentioned in the Owner's Hand Book. Today's diesel cars are very sensitive to the kind of fuel used in them and using oil in the fuel system will clog the injectors and the fuel lines for sure.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:20   #19
BHPian

Hi memo45_m,

Thanks for your input...

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
Pls take it to the dealer and see if an pending codes has been set... ,
To my knowledge, this engine does not carry an ecm.

Quote:
...please use only the fuel mentioned in the Owner's Hand Book...
I purchased the vehicle used and it came without the owners' manual. Maybe someone on these forums could throw some light on this. Meanwhile, as you are probably aware, India does not offer varied choices regards diesel fuels...All purpose vehicles like M&M Scorpios run all over the country and hence have been built to use all kinds of fuel available, provided obviously the fuel is not adulterated. I am very particular about where I top up, sticking to a single outlet in Mumbai...also use the same fuel and outlet for my 3 Benz (E250 W210) & (E220 W124) & (300D 123) and ex Porsche 944 which are much much more fuel sensitive. So that should'nt be an issue with the Scorpio.

Quote:
...Today's diesel cars are very sensitive to the kind of fuel used in them and using oil in the fuel system will clog the injectors and the fuel lines for sure.
Agree with you and have already reflected the same in a previous post of mine in this thread
Old 11th July 2008, 14:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RedMM340 : I wish I could figure out how to the multi quotes to answer questions one by one.
Each message has 3 buttons at the bottom right corner. Use the middle button - the one with the " + " on it. This will pick up the msg you want to quote, but will let you continue to browse.

Use this button for each message that you want to quote. For the last message that you want to quote, use the left side button - the one that says "Quote".

You will then see the messages like Mohnish has shown. Type your response after the " [/quote] " of each quoted message.

Oh, one more point : delete any unwanted points in the quoted message. It helps focus on which point you are responding to.

Last edited by condor : 11th July 2008 at 14:54.
Old 11th July 2008, 18:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Each message has 3 buttons at the bottom right corner. Use the middle button - the one with the " + " on it.....
Thanks Condor,

You just made life easier for me...I was doing it the long way around, but getting the job done any how!!!

Ok now the update regards the vibe...

Engine Mounts OK, Fan mounts & fan OK, injectors bled OK, nothing loose at the bottom or anything thats strapped onto the engine, timing chain tensioner OK and no chain sound either.

In short, have checked every suggestion except the turbo wastegate & valve clearances, which I honestly don't want to fiddle with.

My hopes are now pinned on the diesel pump chap (has done my Benz E250 & 300D very succesfully) who pretty much guarantess this is related to what these guys call the 'timing' of the fuel pump ie. the timing of delivery of fuel to the nozzle in relation to the inlet valve (something like the old distributor spark timing control in old petrol engines or the ecm in the newer ones). I believe in the newer diesels, this timing is contolled by the onboard ecm (aka electronic pump by the local mechanics!)

So lets see what happens tomorrow...Will post accordingly.

In the meanwhile I'm glad that everything else actually got a thorough check.
Old 12th July 2008, 15:19   #22
BHPian

Vibration Gone and idle much smoother also !

Turned out to be the Diesel filter O rings. One of them had cracked and was probably letting air in. SO the filters have been changed and so have the rings.

Something that RedMM340 had suspected was air in the fuel lines.

Thanks to all of bhp for the inputs...Great group we got here.
Old 12th July 2008, 21:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Turned out to be the Diesel filter O rings.
Good mechanic you got there. I would never have found it or suspected it, for sure.

Cheap to fix, too. That's a REALLY good mechanic you got there.
Old 13th July 2008, 19:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
....Cheap to fix, too. That's a REALLY good mechanic you got there...
Yeah DirtyDan, as I wrote earlier, he's done a few of my more sensitive vehicles before and always got it right every time. Also, he doesn't make it out to be a 'huge' job to raise 'huge' bills!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks