Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 18:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how the engines reached India. This means that entire cars come to India and then the engines are scrapped. Is my assumption true ?
Some engines, as pointed out by many, will still work with some repair.
Old 27th July 2008, 18:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well everything has to an end. So these engines. In India we keep on boring and fitting extra size pistons into it, until it finally says no.

This is not the case in other countries. Most of the people scrap their cars after reaching around 1 lakh mile or 1.5 lakh kilometer. No surprises at all.

Unfortunately, India become dumping ground for most of the countries for their scraps.

Well, I have lead in South Korea of scrap cars and engine exporter. A Chennai guy is doing export from South Korea. So, any body want to import engines and car scraps in bulk let me know. I will share scrap photographs from South Korea.
Old 28th July 2008, 10:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I wonder how the engines reached India. This means that entire cars come to India and then the engines are scrapped. Is my assumption true ?
Some engines, as pointed out by many, will still work with some repair.

No, the entire car does not come to India. Only the engines, transmissions etc do.

If the whole car were to come to India. There would be a parallel industry of re-furbishing these cars & selling them & believe me there would be enough takers !!!

Cheers
Old 28th July 2008, 15:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The developed status of the country is not determined by the number of cars on the road. It is determined by the rate of happiness and harmony and civil order - which India has not achieved because of lack of unity among its citizens.
Isn't this self contradicting? At least in Team-BHP, happiness is defintely measured by cars

I have a very dim view on these so called "Happiness statistics" etc. They are nothing but statistical lies. If I define happiness based on response of "how many guys worry about their wives will run away with another man?" then I bet India will achive very good ranking than our "developed" counterparts

Quote:
India should definately BAN importing CRAP from other countries - no matter what - I dont care if it is creating jobs for poor people.
It is already banned. Some importers are using loopholes to get around the law. AFAIK, one can't import cars more than 3 years old in India. Most likely these metals are imported citing some non-car usage. If someone wants to fit them in a car that is a different issue.
Old 28th July 2008, 18:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents.

If the foundries dont melt these engines, they will melt something else, or refine 100% pig iron.

Think of it this way.. look at the bigger picture. By segregating and re using all the metals, we are going good for the environment.

As far as I know, extracting 1 kg of iron from an old engine would be more environmentally friendly than extracting the same from iron ore after mining, not to mention cheaper.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 28th July 2008 at 18:57.
Old 28th July 2008, 19:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Abhij

I think you have made a very valid point. So indirectly the environment is being taken care of.

I think this thread is digressing from the topic, so Abhij, may we have some more information !!

Cheers

Last edited by Zappo : 30th July 2008 at 23:12. Reason: Irrelevant part of the post edited out. Please stick to the topic in hand.
Old 28th July 2008, 19:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
so Abhij, may we have some more information !
Cheers
Whatever info you want dude...
Old 28th July 2008, 20:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Can some knowledgeable person identify some of those engines?
Can a Kolkata BHPian do the honors ?
Old 29th July 2008, 23:15   #39
BANNED

So who wants the Engine's?
Old 29th July 2008, 23:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
@abhij : thats a very very valid point. i certainly hope these are recycled properly. would be sad to see it go the other way.
Dude, the industry here lives up to the expression "Baal kee Khal"

The recycling AFAIK is near complete. The engines are brought here, and dismantled.

Iron/Steel: Re Melted/Re Casted
Aluminium : Re Melted/Re Casted
Copper : Re Melted/Re Casted (From starter motors etc)
Plastics: Re Melted/Re Moulded
Rubber : Grinded & Used as filler in components

Why is this being done in India? Simple. Dismantling and segregation is a highly labor intensive process. The labor here is dirt cheap, and hence the scrap ends up here.

When will the scrap stop coming to India? When Indian labor costs match US labor costs.

BTW.. On the lighter side of things.. if anybody wants a look at these engines, just drop me a PM and we ll work something out.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:06   #41
BHPian

guys from the way you have put your thoughts is there is no doubt that the "Proud INDIAN" feeling is strong within you.

However for the sake of the thread can we discuss this elsewhere and only talk to the topic about the engines that Abhij has shown us

!..! Peace
Old 30th July 2008, 22:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So who wants the Engine's?
Engine?? What engine??? Isn't this the War of Worlds thread??

Guys, lets pls stop all this off topic stuff, there are engines to be saved!.
Old 30th July 2008, 23:03   #43
Team-BHP Support

Cycling? Summer temp in US? What are you all exactly talking about?

Ok, never mind. I have a fair idea. So here goes. Everyone stops digressing from topic right now. If you have anything to contribute about the topic in hand please do contribute. However it will be appreciated if others stay away, and particularly keep their personal ideas, views, prejudices and general knowledge about US, Cycling fundas, Climate talks etc. out of this.

Abhi, let the thread roll. There may still be a lot of value that people can add here. Some may have some queries for you as well. But we will definitely keep a watch.
Old 31st July 2008, 15:13   #44
BHPian

i wonder if some of those could be fitted in a Fiat Padmini along with those rear drive transmissions.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:18   #45
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
i wonder if some of those could be fitted in a Fiat Padmini along with those rear drive transmissions.
exactly thats what i thought as soon as i saw the pics. wish there was some place like this in mumbai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks