Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 01:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering, how many engines will be in usable condition, for someone to buy and rebuild it?

Most of the cars run for really really long here, unlike India and put in a lot of miles. I still see early 1990 cars with more than 2 lakh miles on the odo. So most of these engines must be from cars which have reached the end of their life. Is it worth anything?

THe only good ones will be the relatively new ones, which are taken from totalled cars. If someone could lay their hands on these, it would be a steal.
Old 1st August 2008, 01:54   #47
BHPian

Hmmmm...this is something interesting. Though the engines have been simply dumped I am sure people would love to get their hands on it, and there would be garages in Kolkata pretty well equipped to get them into decent shape.

Now I have a question - In 2006 I had picked up a low mileage Passat engine (2.0L,170PS) + GB inspite of all my efforts I failed to find out ways to get the engine with papers/ without papers into India. We import **** load of stuff into Germany and none of our logistics people could help me with the customs, they gave up (Chennai docks). I have absolutely no connections whatsoever in Kolkata in this regard - If the members in Kolkata could help me with getting some information regarding getting the engine through customs I might be interested in picking up another engine of this kind, something better may be and put it into a jeep/ contessa with over sized alloys. I can also get it into Mumbai/ Chennai if anyone reading this can be of help.

I finally hope to find someone here who can actually fulfill this wish of mine!

Thanks for starting this thread Just reminded me of what I wanted to do, but gave up at one point !

I had to sell the engine for peanuts, lets not talk about that, dont want to make a joke out of myself.
Old 9th August 2008, 01:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Update: Going again to my friends factory for some work tomorrow. Will try and get some more interesting (albeit painful) pictures tomorrow..
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:34   #49
BHPian

bump - any updates/pics for us AbhiJ ?
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

For all people in Mumbai, you can find the same at Kurla. So many shops have loads of engines arranged in lines, all for sale and many of them probably in working condition. And engines are not the only thing you'll find there. You could probably build more than half a car using the parts procured from there.

Will try to get a proper address and post here. Otherwise, just ask your local accessories shop-wala about this place in Kurla.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Abhij, stumbled onto this thread pretty late. However, are there any jeep/suv engines with 4x4 tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Update: Going again to my friends factory for some work tomorrow. Will try and get some more interesting (albeit painful) pictures tomorrow..
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
For all people in Mumbai, you can find the same at Kurla. So many shops have loads of engines arranged in lines, all for sale and many of them probably in working condition. And engines are not the only thing you'll find there. You could probably build more than half a car using the parts procured from there.

Will try to get a proper address and post here. Otherwise, just ask your local accessories shop-wala about this place in Kurla.
this will definitely be useful for us bangy boys as well.

however i have my doubts just like kuttapan mentioned. i was just pottering around on the internet and having a look at fiesta mk5 (ford ikon) engine blocks available on ebay. all of them are not younger than 60k MILES (not km) so they are fairly well used. the very reason they are on sale is because they require an overhaul and it wasn't considered cost effective by the owner to do it. i guess you'll be lucky to get a newer car that was totalled.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:54   #53
BHPian

@Ahij - any more engines left?

@PranavT - Which part of kurla are you talking about?
Old 28th January 2009, 02:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Abhij,
Can you please ask your friend if there is a Renault 1.8 16V engine lying in there somewhere!!
Old 11th September 2009, 23:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

@Abhij,
is this in calcutta please may i have the contact details and address.Could i request you to PM me all these details.
Old 11th September 2009, 23:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Indrojit, this was in Liluah, and i dont know the current status ...

Will find out and let you know..
Old 11th September 2009, 23:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Indrojit, this was in Liluah, and i dont know the current status ...

Will find out and let you know..

Thankx man for that info.If you could fin d out with your friend and then give me his congtact details and address of this place it would be great. thank aagain.
Old 12th September 2009, 18:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

the photos remind of of scrap yards of Sharjah! that place is full of engine and its parts!

anyway coming back to the topic, i think these engines come to india just for their metal value and nothing else. these engines wont be used as replacement engines in vehicle, instead they will be broken done for their scrap metal value and the metal will be recycled!
Old 12th September 2009, 23:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
@Ahij - any more engines left?

@PranavT - Which part of kurla are you talking about?

I think its called " CST Road " 15 bucks rick ride from Kurla station.
I have been to CST Road.. Tyres, alloys , engines , metal bodies...
all from stolen, totaled , written off cars !
Old 13th September 2009, 01:33   #60
BHPian

Car Scrapyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
I think its called " CST Road " 15 bucks rick ride from Kurla station.
I have been to CST Road.. Tyres, alloys , engines , metal bodies...
all from stolen, totaled , written off cars !

yes the place is known as CST road which is off Kurla Bus Depot & there is a bridge which is under construction,you can find even a single nut of your car there,also my friend sold his Daewoo Ceilo there for merely Rs.15000/- still you can procure Ceilo parts there & there are many more Accidental cars coming from Pune expressway,i heard after a month of swift launch the Engine was available of totaled Swift there also seen Sonata,Lancers,Skoda,old Bmw,Mercs,Audi..its a paradise for cars scrapyard & Chor Bazaar also has cars scrap similar to it but on a small scale...well I am a regular visitor of CST road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks