Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 13:32   #1
BHPian

i10 - Shift Selector Issue!!

Hi Guys,

Gave my 6 month old i10 for the Second Service this saturday.I had mentioned specially about difficulty in engaging the gear and found the gear shift to be hard.The same day,the service advisor called me and told me the shift selector is not engaging properly which is the reason for the gear shift being hard to engage.He also said that it would take 4 days for him to fix this issue.

What is exactly Shift Selector and is this a big issue in a car that is just 6 months old?Also,why the hell is takes 4 long days to fix it?When i asked the service advisor about this,he said that the car's tranmission has to be opened up and checked also and this is the reason for takig 4 days.

Please throw some gyan on the SHIFT SELECTOR.
Old 29th July 2008, 15:45   #2
BHPian

Hi Raajiv,

Sorry to hear about your problem, when you say shifting is hard, is it for all the gears? Or is it only for 1st and 2nd gear alone. I am asking this because, I am facing a similar gear hardness, but only in 1st and 2nd gear. Planning to raise this issue in my first service.
Old 29th July 2008, 16:02   #3
BHPian

Hey Anand,

This happens only for the first and second gears and occasionally i hear a krr krr sound in the third gear.Put this issue to your service advisor in the first service and get the things rectified.

Even when i mentioned this to the service advisor @ DSC during the first service,he simply said that it is normal.But this time i went to HMP for the second service.Their reception and service is miles ahead of DSC.
Old 29th July 2008, 16:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

It seems you are not the only person

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...oblem-i10.html
Old 29th July 2008, 16:16   #5
BHPian

For my i10 now and then I find it difficult to engage the first gear, so I have to skip first and move on second. On the demo car I drove I had similar difficulty but my friends who drove it did not find any problem, so I though maybe it is the way I change gears that is the problem.

All other gears (including reverse) are perfectly fine.

Last edited by DriverR : 29th July 2008 at 16:18.
Old 30th July 2008, 10:19   #6
BHPian

An Update:

Yesterday i picked up the car after the second service.Now,i am extremely happy with the gear shift.There are no problems in engaging/disengaging the gear shift.The gears are now butter smooth and slot in very easily.

Overall,an excellent service by HMP,Chennai.The component replaced was the sleeve synchroniser and since the car is under warranty ,i paid no charges.Even the upholstery cleaning which i asked them to do was done perfectly without any fuss.

Another excellent example of excellent customer service from Hyundai. :-)
Old 30th July 2008, 10:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good to know this, Raajiv. Looks like a few i10s are reporting the same gear problem. I hope it does not reach the magnitude of rattles issues with the Swift.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:28   #8
BHPian

Hi Raajiv,

Good to know your problem was resolved to your satisfaction. I am also glat that HMP did the work since I have booked my service with HMP on Aug 4th. They are right opposite to my street so convenient for me. Will let them know about this issue of mine.

Also, can you let me know the service advisor your dealt with, so that I can speak to him directly, he may have more knowledge on this issue.

Thanks,
Old 30th July 2008, 15:18   #9
BHPian

The details are in your inbox,anand.

Take a drive with him and show him the shift problems.
Old 14th April 2010, 01:21   #10
BHPian

I10 Gear issue

Hi,

I am owning a I10 IRDE car for last two years and had covered around 10,000 kilometers so far. From the very initial days, I felt that the gears of I10 are not smooth compared Alto, Santro and Swift that I have driven once in a while earlier. Specifically I feel some obstruction/stickyness while moving from 2nd to 1st gear when the car is in motion. I had complained about he same during all the free services as well as paid services to Advaith Hyundai, Bangalore. But they seem to always adjust clutch setting or do nothing about it, but the problem continue to persist. I was hoping that the gear should get smoother as I complete more kilometers. But I face the problem even now. I would like to know if this gear problem is common in all I10 cars or is there something wrong with my car? How do I get this corrected? Complaining about to Hyundai service person does not seem to help.

My car 2year warranty is expiring by end of this month, hence a quick suggestion would help in case some part need to be replaced by Hyundai.

Regards,
Old 14th April 2010, 10:06   #11
BHPian

Yes - your observation is right. If say the speed is 5-10kmph and you are in 2nd gear and know that you will eventually need to shift to first gear and than move ( as the vehicle in front of you is stationary and probably will move just about when you reach near it ) - the first gear wont slot if the car is in motion. It will only slot if the car is almost stationary. My expectation was also that the first gear should be slottable by depressing the clutch at say 5-10kmph.

I had reported this to the service centre since my i10's clutch had also turned hard and I was wondering if there could be any kind of relation. I was told by their senior technician that it is designed in such a way that the first gear would slot when the car is not in motion and thats how you should do it. He also told me not to force the first gear if its not slotting in motion as it could cause damage. I had good trust on the fellow as he seemed to be a knowledgeable guy - so i have adjusted my driving style a bit to take care of that.

Note that same issue/behavior is not there in my other car which is M800
MPFI.

In your case, if you feel problem even when the car is not in motion - you should definitely report it.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:04   #12
BHPian

I have an i10 iRDE 2+ yrs old. It has done over 20k km on all sorts of terrain and I have never felt any problems with gear shift. In fact I feel it is a lot better than my dad's alto whose gears are too vague. One in a while third gear kicks back but it could just be my impatience to shift quickly.

Last edited by bullinb : 14th April 2010 at 11:08.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrife View Post
Hi,

I am owning a I10 IRDE car for last two years and had covered around 10,000 kilometers so far. From the very initial days, I felt that the gears of I10 are not smooth compared Alto, Santro and Swift that I have driven once in a while earlier. Specifically I feel some obstruction/stickyness while moving from 2nd to 1st gear when the car is in motion. I had complained about he same during all the free services as well as paid services to Advaith Hyundai, Bangalore. But they seem to always adjust clutch setting or do nothing about it, but the problem continue to persist. I was hoping that the gear should get smoother as I complete more kilometers. But I face the problem even now. I would like to know if this gear problem is common in all I10 cars or is there something wrong with my car? How do I get this corrected? Complaining about to Hyundai service person does not seem to help.

My car 2year warranty is expiring by end of this month, hence a quick suggestion would help in case some part need to be replaced by Hyundai.

Regards,
netrife, have you let the your Service adviser check the gears himself by letting him drive for a while?If they have and still have not been able to solve, then try some other SA with good knowledge/ another service centre.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrife View Post
Specifically I feel some obstruction/stickyness while moving from 2nd to 1st gear when the car is in motion.
Hope that this implies that upshift from 1st to 2nd gear is smooth. If this is the case, then please observe RPM at which you usually upshift. Use similar RPM to downshift from 2nd to 1st gear. Hope that you will be able to find answer yourself.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Yes - your observation is right. If say the speed is 5-10kmph and you are in 2nd gear and know that you will eventually need to shift to first gear and than move ( as the vehicle in front of you is stationary and probably will move just about when you reach near it ) - the first gear wont slot if the car is in motion. It will only slot if the car is almost stationary. My expectation was also that the first gear should be slottable by depressing the clutch at say 5-10kmph.

I had reported this to the service centre since my i10's clutch had also turned hard and I was wondering if there could be any kind of relation. I was told by their senior technician that it is designed in such a way that the first gear would slot when the car is not in motion and thats how you should do it. He also told me not to force the first gear if its not slotting in motion as it could cause damage. I had good trust on the fellow as he seemed to be a knowledgeable guy - so i have adjusted my driving style a bit to take care of that.

Note that same issue/behavior is not there in my other car which is M800
MPFI.

In your case, if you feel problem even when the car is not in motion - you should definitely report it.
Netrife, i hadn't noticed the words "in motion". Now that i saw svaid's reply i understood. He is right, when in motion, there is resistance from the gear box if you tried to move to the first gear. So even i have adjusted my driving style. I move to 1st gear only when the car becomes too slow(may be 5 kmph or below), otherwise stay at 2nd gear and use clutch. So its not really a problem!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks