Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 18:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

the other option is get yourself another set of disc brakes and fit them in the rear.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

A tyre upgrade will help but for better highway manners he needs on-road bias tyres which will hamper the Gurkha's performance off the road. I think it's a compromise he needs to decide upon first, whether he wants better on-road or off-road performance.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
... When I moved up to a Landcruiser from a Civic I had a few "oops I almost rear ended the car upfront" moments before I learnt that laws of physics are at work when you hurtle more than 2 tons down a road.

BTW Bosch has a division called Rexroth that manufactures ABS systems ...
You said it! Had the same experience when I went from an Accent (with ABS) to a Safari (no ABS) - first couple of days were full of fish-tailing excitement.

I think Rexroth division makes some components for ABS. Only components, and not complete ABS systems as a kit, are supplied to car manufacturers. ABS components become part of the car's assembly BOM!

Complete ABS systems, being safety-critical and subject of high human and financial liability, CANNOT be given as an after-market fitment.
* There are a large number of parameters that have to be measured in a lab
* Coupled with basic vehicle data, this results in basic configuration data for the ABS software, which is first tested on the bench to refine the configuration data
* The whole thing is then mounted on a test vehicle and tested on purpose-built test tracks
* Only when it passes such test without ANY problems, is it allowed on public roads FOR TESTING
* Only after the whole complement is certified FOR THAT VEHICLE MODEL is it allowed into production.

The investment required for making ABS for one vehicle model can get you a couple of Bentleys! It would be cheaper to adapt your driving and driving carefully, than trying to fit ABS in an existing vehicle.
Old 8th August 2008, 20:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Instead you could just learn to pump the brakes.
Old 8th August 2008, 20:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would say it would be more getting used to stoping that mass and developing the judgement for it as ABS will come into force only after a certain speed and emergency braking, for city driving it doesnt make a difference et all.
Old 9th August 2008, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

ABS tracks the wheels at all speeds down to 0, independent of where and at what speed you are driving. It acts whenever it sees a wheel lock condition, even in crawling conditions on snow/ice, sand and oil patches on tarmac. Unless it infers that the vehicle is close to dead stop, it will act.

ABS is recommended for (more or less) flat surfaces, not for off-road use where there is always the possibility that all the 4 wheels are "doing their own thing"!
Old 9th August 2008, 13:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
ABS tracks the wheels at all speeds down to 0, independent of where and at what speed you are driving. It acts whenever it sees a wheel lock condition, even in crawling conditions on snow/ice, sand and oil patches on tarmac. Unless it infers that the vehicle is close to dead stop, it will act.
The Maruti SX4 manual states that ABS will not work at low speeds (maybe single digit speeds)!
Old 9th August 2008, 19:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mate. Erase this thought from your mind. Ain't gonna happen. Not worth the effort. You will probably screw up your vehicle trying to do this. I am sure you understood from the time you got this vehicle that it is as crude and primitive as vehicles can get so just live with it man. Use it for what it was build for. To go off-road and to knock auto-rikshaws off the road.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:17   #24

Palio MJD: Can I fit disc brakes for rear & ABS ?

Hi everyone,
I am very happy with my Fiat palio multijet's power.It had fulfilled my wishes properly.The only thing bothering me is its stopping power,so is it possible to fit a 4 point or at least 3 point abs system in my car ?,can I upgrade my rear brakes to disc ?.
Thanks and regards
A.K.Ganguly
Old 5th September 2008, 23:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK you cannot get abs fixed on a non abs car. There are a few threads about this. You can probably get disc brakes fixed but it will cost you quite a bit from what i have heard.
Old 6th September 2008, 00:00   #26
BHPian

as cooldude has mentioned ABS is something that has to come out of the factory. You cannot get it fitted outside. Please check some threads on the same

Regarding the braking also, there are a few threads which discuss the various options available.(all of this depends on Vitamin M)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ons-costs.html - i think you need to look at this thread.

Last edited by gods-envy : 6th September 2008 at 00:02. Reason: just added the relevant thread
Old 6th September 2008, 00:02   #27
Team-BHP Support

have you changed your tyres? if not then change them. that will improve your braking a lot depending on which tyres you choose.
Old 6th September 2008, 00:05   #28
BHPian

friends in Bangalore tell me that some workshop (Maruthi A*S*S...?) is fixing ABS to non-ABS Swifts for around 20K. will verify this and get back with any contact number/address.
Old 6th September 2008, 08:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

yaar dekho, its another system like any else. BUT.

What is the real problem is calibration of the sensors, the onboard logic for pulsation etyadi. Not to mention the (complete lack of) expertise of the typical workshops in the same.

I am not aware of a single accidental case in which the ABS unit was replaced (would much rather go for a total loss!), or read of the same on teambhp.
Old 6th September 2008, 09:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
friends in Bangalore tell me that some workshop (Maruthi A*S*S...?) is fixing ABS to non-ABS Swifts for around 20K. will verify this and get back with any contact number/address.
The issue about availability of ABS kits in the Swift VXi/VDi began when the SX4 was launched. The reason for this is low supply of kits from Japan. (The ABS kits are SGP).

Any aftermarket installation would not be the OEM component Secondly if im not mistaken ABS cannot be integrated into a vehicle where it is not already an option from the compnay.

Finally I dont think its a good idea toying with your braking system as it could prove fatal if something went wrong.

Replace your stock tyres with S-drives instead

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks