Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:57   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Well, all I can say in response is that I was pretty helpless. Car won't start so I cant drive to another workshop (of choice). Secondly in the absence of perfect information under my belt, I'm inclined to believe the FASS personnel, especially because my assumption is that they are more competent and have hand-on knowledge. Also I would like to believe they (must) have seen similar cases in the past.

I understand buddy. If I would have been in your position probably I would done the same
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
In modern ECU run cars that is the trend.

In a carburated 800, the figures will drop to around 12ish
Hi,
Why the difference?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:42   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it because the RR is not controlled by any ECU?
Old 5th July 2013, 19:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Until and unless the alternator is undersized for the load, not expected behaviour from a system with a non-intelligent AVR. And most AVRs, even now are non-intelligent.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th July 2013, 23:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

So finally on Friday, the alternator arrived at Wasan and it was fitted in my car. Got a call at around 4 pm that after trial etc the car is ready to be collected by me. I reached an hour later and inspected. Upon connecting the multi-meter, battery was showing 13.1v at rest (yes it is high, but that's because we tested immediately after switching off engine. Also, I suspect they might have charged my battery in the fear that a failing alternator may have drained it). Upon cranking, it was showing full 14.4v.

I have been told that this is the first case of alternator failure in a TJet that Wasan has seen. Probably it is a first for a TJet across India as per them too. I have no way to confirm (other than this forum). In either case, this is one statistic that I neither wish to remember nor be proud to be a part of.

I had a long argument with Mr. Shetty (Workshop Manager, Wasan Motors) about reimbursing me / making good my expense of being forced to buy a new battery when (most probably) my OE Exide still had life left. After all, it was a case of pure wrong diagnosis by their technician and despite multiple requests by me to check alternator and wiring, he declared that it was ONLY the battery that was faulty.

As expected, it yielded no positive result. He gave me all kinds of weird (read useless & impractical) solutions i.e. I should return my new Amaron battery to the dealer and take back my old battery, or that their OBD scanner was not working *that day* when I came, or simply because there were too many cars to attend to and hence the technician was overloaded with work. (So he took the quickest way out by blaming my battery. WOW!). He even went to the extent of saying that all this could have been avoided if I would have just bought a new (overpriced) Exide battery from Wasan itself. Then they would have taken out the new battery and returned my old battery/or any other battery from their stockyard etc.

I didn't see any point in continuing the debate, but left only after I made him admit his fault. In the end he was repeatedly apologizing for the incompetency of his staff in being able to diagnose the fault, despite me telling him ALL the symptoms. But despite everything, he was adamant that the ONLY reason they zeroed down on the battery being faulty was because WASAN has never seen an alternator conk off in a Fiat car. Yes, it might be an unheard event, but does it still make a case for not inspecting the electrical to begin with?
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 23:25   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Upon connecting the multi-meter, battery was showing 13.1v at rest (yes it is high, but that's because we tested immediately after switching off engine. Also, I suspect they might have charged my battery in
Nope thats fine IMO. It stays in the 13V range mostly. And replacement of the battery is a tricky situation to be in. And given the rubbish the service centre folks speak, it is hard to convince. But you should have shown them that you are a knowledgeable customer who knows what is what rather than letting them play. Not speaking about the interaction with the manager but in the initial interactions, some technical questioning would have brought them on their knees. Especially such people who diagnose faults based on general trend. Such people must be taught a lesson.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
...In fact I instructed the Amaron guys how to disconnect the negative and not to touch the ICE ground (connected to the positive). So there is no question of wrong connections...
OT, but can you explain what this means? I have a battery replacement coming up soon and would like to be aware of any such issues.
Old 8th July 2013, 01:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nope thats fine IMO. It stays in the 13V range mostly. And replacement of the battery is a tricky situation to be in. And given the rubbish the service centre folks speak, it is hard to convince. But you should have shown them that you are a knowledgeable customer who knows what is what rather than letting them play. Not speaking about the interaction with the manager but in the initial interactions, some technical questioning would have brought them on their knees. Especially such people who diagnose faults based on general trend. Such people must be taught a lesson.
Sir, I was the one who told them that alternator is faulty. They never diagnosed or admitted it to begin with. And because they weren't listening, I had to rope in Fiat officials to make them. I showed him my battery report from Exide (11.5 v rest and after crank, meaning the alternator is not charging). In fact after this incident, I will never trust Wasan again. My pure theoretical knowledge seemed far better compared to their collective practical knowledge. Or maybe they were inclined to laziness and hence not displaying their capabilities fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
OT, but can you explain what this means? I have a battery replacement coming up soon and would like to be aware of any such issues.
Specific to Fiat I meant. There is a clamp like connector at the negative end and I had to show them how to open it. And on the positive terminal, you dont need to unscrew/detach the connections (ICE ground cable or if you have Autocop etc). There is a small screw behind the positive which enables you to lift up the whole bunch of connections and take out the battery. May be different in your car.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 8th July 2013 at 01:03.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 13:11   #84
BHPian

I own a 2001 Santro zip drive LS. Last week the car engine smoked out and stopped on the middle of the road. Had to call hyundai road assistance from Hyundai motor plaza which was just 1km from there.
They took 1hr to reach, he found that the coolant pipe had worn out and cut so needs to be towed to service center. Had to call another towing company to tow the car 1km and pay Rs.1700/. (typical Chennai loot)

After waiting for parts for 1 week finally got it replaced. Now the service adviser tells me that the alternator is damaged because the coolant water had leaked into the alternator and spoilt it. Is it a possibility.
I have been quote 13K for replacement of alternator.
Can anyone tell me what type of alternator goes in a 2001 santro, which company manufactures it - lucas/Bosch/Mando/denso.

Can I get the alternator details(company/model no./specification) for this model of santro and way to get it directly from the dealer. It seems that the A.S.S. ripping me off.

Last edited by Visaster : 29th July 2014 at 13:13.
Old 10th December 2015, 16:55   #85
BHPian

Can I use this product as a battery tender?

Electrical engineers/Tinkerers/DIY dudes,please pitch in.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/12V-6A-SMPS-F.../301819497620?
Old 10th December 2015, 18:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

Electrical engineers/Tinkerers/DIY dudes,please pitch in.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/12V-6A-SMPS-F.../301819497620?
Pickup a cheap one from Aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black...399748739.html

A more expensive but better one is available at Performance Racing Store, however their website seems to be down now.
Old 15th December 2015, 01:12   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes these should be good for larger batteries - what exactly do you want to do with this setup ? You can get something similar picked from Local DG Set manufacturer / Service centre - these are fitted in regular DG Sets . If you are looking something for Bike battery - try Harley one
Old 21st February 2016, 13:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I own a 2001 Santro zip drive LS. Last week the car engine smoked out and stopped on the middle of the road. Had to call hyundai road assistance from Hyundai motor plaza which was just 1km from there.
They took 1hr to reach, he found that the coolant pipe had worn out and cut so needs to be towed to service center. Had to call another towing company to tow the car 1km and pay Rs.1700/. (typical Chennai loot)

After waiting for parts for 1 week finally got it replaced. Now the service adviser tells me that the alternator is damaged because the coolant water had leaked into the alternator and spoilt it. Is it a possibility.
I have been quote 13K for replacement of alternator.
Can anyone tell me what type of alternator goes in a 2001 santro, which company manufactures it - lucas/Bosch/Mando/denso.

Can I get the alternator details(company/model no./specification) for this model of santro and way to get it directly from the dealer. It seems that the A.S.S. ripping me off.
Did you finally get the alternator replaced or repaired? How much did it cost? I'm faced with a similar situation for my Spark and being quoted Rs 14.5K for a new one.
Old 21st February 2016, 13:06   #89
BHPian

Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Hi, I've just been asked to fork out Rs 14,500 for a new alternator for my Spark (2009). The battery has also conked off. Can Team BHP experts please suggest if any companies like Bosch make these and at lower cost?

Though I'm always for original parts, this price is crazily high and is worrying me.

Thinking of repair but haven't got any references of a reliable repair guy so far. Also, is repair advisable?

thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 17:30   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Hi, I've just been asked to fork out Rs 14,500 for a new alternator for my Spark (2009). The battery has also conked off. Can Team BHP experts please suggest if any companies like Bosch make these and at lower cost?

Though I'm always for original parts, this price is crazily high and is worrying me.

Thinking of repair but haven't got any references of a reliable repair guy so far. Also, is repair advisable?

thanks
Please contact Arun : 85.80.020056 , mention my name (Dhanush). He is the Bosch Wholesale Dealer in Wayanad. He can also ship the products to where ever you need. I'm sure you can sort this out for 1/3rd the cost.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks