Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 17:51   #1
BHPian

Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Ok Guys..
I am in dire need of some advice. ASAP

I drive a Ford ikon 1.3 Flair and of late its been giving a really really bad problem.
The Battery light is always engaged ( most of the times) only when my luck is better does it get switched off.
I took it to the Wasan Ford guys and got it serviced once. And since then it has been giving me problems even more.
I asked them to take a look at it and it was fixed for a day or two and returned again. It actually stopped midway even when the engine was running in heavy rain sometime back.
So then I again took it those guys. This time the Technician found that the entire time whether the car was switched Off/On the boot light was always lit up. So the guess was that the boot light got shorted so it was draining the Battery! POINT TAKEN! DISCONNECTED IT.

AND yet again there was a problem so again it was draining out.
Thought it was the Battery Life was out! SO TOOK IT YET AGAIN THERE...
This time the guy tells me the battery is FINE. and there is a problem in the VOLTAGE REGULATOR OR EVEN THE ALTERNATOR.

So then found out a fault in the Regulator. Replaced it.

And yet again today I was drivin through a relatively long stretch of road. Not once did the battery low indicator turn off??!
And then finally at one point of time the battery was totally DRAINED OUT not even the horn or even the BATTERY LOW indicator was workin! AND POOF! There was smoke from the AC vent even though the the A/C was switched off the entire time... And conked off. Had to get it towed.
It would start after a lil push start and again conk off.

I know its a pretty long post.

BUT I NEED HELP.

The entire ALTERNATOR assembly would set me back by 18 GRAND. apart from thee 2.5 GRAND that was already spent on the voltage regulator and also the SERVICE.

HELP!
Old 20th August 2008, 07:30   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe_on_wheels View Post
Ok Guys..
The entire ALTERNATOR assembly would set me back by 18 GRAND. apart from thee 2.5 GRAND that was already spent on the voltage regulator and also the SERVICE.

HELP!
Hi I faced the same problem in my santro, which I diagnosed to be because of the faulty voltage regulator. Got it replaced for about Rs 900-950/- at the Hyundai service station and have never faced the problem since. TOUCHWOOD !!!.

Babe let me know if they have given you back the defective voltage regulator they replaced -- if not I think they must have not replaced it and have duped you by simply doing some JUGGAD. Also check your alternator, you should see the place (Connector) where the wires are connected looking relatively new (meaning black and shiny) than other parts of the alternator. Cost of 2.5 Grand for a regulator for the denso alternator beats me.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe_on_wheels View Post
Ok Guys..
I am in dire need of some advice. ASAP
It looks like loose contact or short circuit in your wiring than the regulator.
Do you have problems like wires cut by rats or something.
I am not guru but this is my guess.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi B_o_W, looks like your electrical wiring harness has a short somewhere. The second pointer may be to check the alterator regulator/diode assembly and get it replaced.

if your alternator charging is around 14V, then it is most probably your wiring harness that is cut in some places.

All the best.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi B_o_W, looks like your electrical wiring harness has a short somewhere. The second pointer may be to check the alterator regulator/diode assembly and get it replaced.

if your alternator charging is around 14V, then it is most probably your wiring harness that is cut in some places.

ok heres the thing.
the guy checked the alternator and the battery both using a multimeter.
the voltage before the voltae regulator was replaced was something like 12.45 or withoin the range and not 14 V.
the technician told me it has to be abt 13.75 range.
and as soon as the regulatore was replace it showed an immediate reading of 13.75 or something within the normal range.

But now i am wondering HOW? why shud the ac smoke up then?

I am seriously thinking abt the wiring. BUt tehre are no rat nibbling problems as far as i know.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
Babe let me know if they have given you back the defective voltage regulator they replaced -- if not I think they must have not replaced it and have duped you by simply doing some JUGGAD. Also check your alternator, you should see the place (Connector) where the wires are connected looking relatively new (meaning black and shiny) than other parts of the alternator. Cost of 2.5 Grand for a regulator for the denso alternator beats me.
They gave me the old regulator. I infact took it from them. Well as far as the cost is concerned its FORD they are pocket diggers!

Now The technician is himself lost as to what the problem is. Alternator has been checked the last time and so was the battery.
THis is absolutely baffling me!
Old 20th August 2008, 11:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

2.5 grand for regulator? What is this, a skoda?
A brand new Ford Ikon Alternator from outside market is 8-10K. you will even get 1 year warranty for it.
Try finding a good electrician near your place. Ask around.
In your car's case there could be two problems
1. Short somewhere(Very tough to find problem)
2. Alternator problem(Even if replacement is needed, the problem is simple labor wise)
Old 20th August 2008, 11:44   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Above all, I think you need a better electrician too. Please refer to another competent mechanic and get your problems solved.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thats easier said than done GTO. Nowadays, the so called electricians dont know how to use a multimeter. Dont know difference between voltage and current!

But what needs to be done IMO is get the complete wiring harness checked / replaced!
Old 20th August 2008, 16:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
2.5 grand for regulator? What is this, a skoda?
A brand new Ford Ikon Alternator from outside market is 8-10K. you will even get 1 year warranty for it.
Try finding a good electrician near your place. Ask around.
In your car's case there could be two problems
1. Short somewhere(Very tough to find problem)
2. Alternator problem(Even if replacement is needed, the problem is simple labor wise)
well i also consulted another guy from a pretty decent garage here in thane. and that guy was in his own trip to loot me! so i chucked that fellow.

yes, a ford ikon regulator costs about 2,300 /- i actually saw the spare parts box as well.

secondly there is was a fault in the diode in the regulator which cannot be replaced or repaired as its welded pretty much compactly.

the fellow who told me the alternator assembly would be as expensive as 18,000rs was absolutely wrong. He misled me into believing the same.
it actually costs about 7,169/-

so they have agreed to take back the regulator replaced and refund me the same amount for the battery costing the same.

took a test run sometime back it runs fine now.

so ultimately found out the diode had a problem and was damaged. so the entire alternator was replaced. and so was the battery.

totaly set back 9,100/- inclusive of labor etc.

AMEN!
been a helluva day!
Old 20th August 2008, 16:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thats easier said than done GTO. Nowadays, the so called electricians dont know how to use a multimeter. Dont know difference between voltage and current!

But what needs to be done IMO is get the complete wiring harness checked / replaced!
the wiring had been checked.
NO PROBLEM IN THAT.

so it was finally taken care of!

Thank you all for all the inputs. really appreciate that.
Old 20th August 2008, 18:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

good, you got your problem sorted. The alternator diode / regulator failure is a very common occurence. The diagnosis is more difficult than the replacement.

A simple solution is to keep checking at the alternator regulator whether it is charging the battery at 14V [can read anything between 12.5 to 14V] based on the engine RPM.
Old 21st August 2008, 14:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your alternator 'whines'.

I just replaced my esteem alternator for 4.7k, Denso. I had the same problem of the battery light not switching off. My mech immediately diagnosed the problem & got me a brand new Denso alternator. Costs $.2k, 500 for the labour.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

John, 2K alternator + labour = 4.7K ?
Old 21st August 2008, 22:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
John, 2K alternator + labour = 4.7K ?
yes labor can be quite the culprit with the spares along with the service tax + the VAT ! Mine turned out to be almost 7.2 grand for the alternator.
but maruti guys also charge so much? i didnt know!?

Last edited by babe_on_wheels : 21st August 2008 at 22:58.

Most Viewed