Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 18:42   #1
BANNED

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR

I hope this thread serves as a place where people can ask questions like "what is that thing looking like <something> under the hood".

I own a 2007 model WagonR. At the time of delivery, the dealer's people very helpfully told me things like "the spare fuses are in the fuse holder and the spare headlamps are in the glove box" etc. I know how to use (often in destructive manner, but that is a different story) screwdrivers, spanners and quite a few other tools, and take things apart (and put them together again) even without any proper tools at all.

But close to one year into car ownership, I find that if a fuse blows out, or a head lamp fuses, I have no clue how to replace them. I know somethings about automobiles - but this contraption I own now is quite different from what I have handled so far (what I have owned were old tech diesels - and that more than 15 years back, and the way you use and maintain a commercial vehicle is very different from the way you maintain a vehicle for personal use).

I have come across travelogues where people could not replace the fuse coz. they could not locate the fuse box. Then figured out that there would be others too like me would have similar questions, and decided to create a new thread for this, and post pics.

I knew how a fuse box would look like, and it was not difficult to locate it under the wagonR's hood. After some pulling and pushing and sliding, I find that I cannot open the fuse box. Guess it has something to do with those knobs / buttons / thingiess marked 1 in the first image.. But still I cannot get to open the fuse box cover.

So, the questions right now are:-

1. How do I open the fuse box?
2. What is that thing marked as 2 on the fuse box?

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-0.jpg

3. I got an extra horn fitted from the dealer. Think the 2nd image is showing the relay for that horn. Anything wrong with those wires marked as 3 and 4? Look like bare copper covered in insulation tape. The job is done by the dealer.

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-1.jpg

4. Image 3 shows the RHS head lamp assembly from inside. Leads 5, 6 and 7 are for ..... ? And How do I remove the head lamp bulb?
4a. Where do I look for the headlight focussing screw / nut?

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-2.jpg

5. What is marked as 8 and 9 in the next picture? 9 is actually longer that it seems in the image. 10 is air filter, right?

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-5.jpg

6. Where is the ECU?
7. I have Autocop (model 2k / 2000) installed. Where is it in the pictures?
8. I have read of a slot where you hook up the laptop / USB cable for engine diagnostics. Where is it? (Not that I will do it, but just want to know).
9. I have seen autowallahs cleaning the spark plugs. That is closest I have got to petrol engines. Looks like spark plug handling on cars are not DIY?
10. The battery - seems to be a sealed one? How do I pour distilled water into it (if I have to, that is)?
11. The relays marked on fuse box - what are they for?
12. What this marked as 11?

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-9.jpg

13. What do we find here?

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-8.jpg

12 is alternator, 13 is spark plug (There should 3 of them?) 14 is?

The 4 separate tubes from brake fluid reservoir - independent brake fluid circuit?

What is 15 (the tube)?

Edit:- I have scaled down the original images, and tinkered with the brightness / contrast to make them better. Hope they look good on others' computers too.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 20th August 2008 at 18:51.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2008, 18:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ha, quite some questions there. I guess it would have been better if you had posted them in bits instead of one big post with lotsa questions. Will attempt some of the questions.

Starting from the last question, No.15 (the tube as you called it) is the accelerator cable.

No.11 is the wiper motor.

Reg. the battery, you could still open the top and top-up the distilled water, even if it is the so-called maintenance-free type.

And you better figure out how to open the fuse box, because you never know when one of the fuses conks off leaving with a horn that dont work or a headlight that does not come on or a/c dont work. It should be simple opening it, though I find it tough to put it in words. I faced an a/c not working issue while on vacation and on a Sunday and it turned out to be a blown fuse.

Also, make sure you know where the spare fuses are in the car and how to access them. In the Baleno, the stupid guys have it fixed somewhere under the steering in a place that is not only tough to access, but also not visible.

And the headlamp accessibility is also a bit tricky - atleast in a Baleno, as I found when I wanted to change the stock bulbs to Phillips 50% extra bulbs. Was able to do it in minutes on my Dad's Swift, but could replace only the right-side bulb on the Baleno.

Try as much as I did, I could not reach the bulb assembly on the left-side (driver-side) to remove it. It was not accessible. So drove around for months with one bulb of each type. Then one day I decided enough was enough and I have to somehow change that bulb also. And found out how to remove a tube to make it accessible enough to change the bulb.

And yes, No.10 looks like the air-filter to me.

And while most men do not really like reading manuals before going DIY (or asking for directions), that is the best way to go about things. The way it is described in the manual might not be clear at the first read, but it sure helps.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th August 2008 at 18:55.
Old 20th August 2008, 19:02   #3
BANNED

Your fusebox looks like a snap-fit box. Move the male end (near 1) towards the fusebox and lift the female end / box cover.

5,6,7 should be headlight, parking light and indicator (order will vary as per your car's arrangement)
8 looks like the Autocop siren
Using a screwdriver, gently pry open the two "lids" from the battery from the outside edges. You can then peer in / top up.
Relays include ones for the fuel pump, A/C condensor.
14 looks like what is labelled Boost Sensor on my car.

Know your car: Under the Hood of a WagonR-img_0055_2.jpg
Old 20th August 2008, 19:06   #4
BHPian

First of all, yours has to be the cleanest engine bay I've seen yet

The fuse box opens via a tab at the front, you just have to pry it open.

The ECU is beneath the dash.

14 - DDLI for dual distributor-less ignition, each unit provides the spark for the plug underneath it & the plug it's connected to (wasted spark). I think the same unit's used in the F10D, G13B & G16B engined cars.
Old 20th August 2008, 19:14   #5
BANNED

BackseatDriver!!!
You've got many things wrong and I think it's not that easy to explain everything correctly via online picture marking. For example, I still have no clue what you want to know as No.9!!!! (I only see a 9).
Come for a Team-Bhp meet. We will be glad to explain all of these in person.
Old 20th August 2008, 19:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just some attempts to solve your queries:

10. It is very easy to check whether your battery requires a distil water top up or not. There is a viewing window which will look Green in color. If that is the case, then your battery is healthy, if not, just open the lids using a Re.1 coin and top up with distil water.

11. This is the wiper motor assembly. 12. i didnt get your question.

2. It is the ignition fuse link.

3. nothing wrong in 3 & 4. but would have been better if the dealer had used lugs on the relay.

5,6,7 are the headlamp / park lamp / indicator holders. Just pull them out to see the bulb.

8 & 9 need clarity. what do you want to know?

10 is the airbox or air filter. The filter element is inside the box.

BTW, the only thing you need to know is to open the fuse box. Read your owners manual which will explain in detail, about what one needs to do in case of an emergency. That is the best!
Old 20th August 2008, 22:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi buddy, I assume either you have lost the owner's manual or you have not opened it till today.

Pages 97 to 127 (Inspection and Maintenance) explain everything you have marked and asked above. It starts with page-105 on Oil level check, engine oil refilling, oil filter replacement, gear oil check, engine coolant check & adding, washer fluid, air cleaner details, spark plugs & cleaning, brake fluid, brake pedal checks, parking brake, steering check, clutch pedal check, tyres & roatation details, wheel changing, battery checks, fuse box under the hood and under the dashboard, checking and changing fuses, head light replacement, wiper check and replacement etc. everything with diagrams or pictures for easy understanding.

Now you can shoot questions on what you dont find in these pages. I bet there may be couple of questions !! Cheers !!

I had changed my headlights to philips crystalvision. Right side is easy to change, left side is very narrow space with the battery blocking the area. I had to get someone with lean and paper-thin hands to change that side ! All done in 15 mts flat !

Last edited by shajufx : 20th August 2008 at 22:06.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:23   #8
BANNED

Thanks guys, for the help so far.

@supremebaleno - that is precisely the kind of problem I want to avoid buying a better bulb and not being able to change it!!! The RHS is more accessible than the LHS headlight assembly.

It is not that I will do it myself. I just want to know the procedures before getting it done by somebody who actually does it. :-) Just my way of doing things.

@hrag - prising open the battery lids is something which never occurred to me. And no, the battery does not have the conventional turn to open type of holes to pour in distilled water.

@speedzak and @headers, see that long vertical thingie on left of the figure 9. It has a rectangular top. At first glance, it looks like a hi-tech dipstick. I almost pulled it the first time I opened the hood the week after I got the car - thought it was the dipstick (the engine oil dipstick is actually on the RHS of the car). This is flexible, about 9inches or so (did not measure it).

I just want to confirm that 12 is the alternator.

Where is the a/c apparatus situated - the compressor, etc? (at least, which part of the engine bay?) I have located the radiator and the fan (there is a black shroud around it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
12. i didnt get your question.!
[/quote]2. It is the ignition fuse link.[/quote]

Hmm. So how do I open this? Again snap fit? Or hinged somewhere? Also, no need to prise open the bigger longer fuse box if I find the ignition not working and know that the battery is healthy.

Quote:
3. nothing wrong in 3 & 4. but would have been better if the dealer had used lugs on the relay.
Whew!!!

Quote:
are the headlamp / park lamp / indicator holders. Just pull them out to see the bulb.
I think I can figure out which of them is the head lamp wire. So if I pull out the wire, the head lamp bulb will come out?

[quote] 8 & 9 need clarity. what do you want to know? [quote]

What is that round thing on left side of the figure 8? 9 I have explained above.

hrag says 8 is the security system's siren. So where is the wire we are supposed to pull out to disable the siren? :-) (when we misplace the remote of the system?) Or are we supposed to disconnect the battery only?

It is not that I may open anything. I just what to know what is what. I have had very bad instances of workshop owners trying to pull a fast one on me. One guy showed me an oil filter and said that it is the replaced diesel filter. Another guy put a broken main leaf from a tata vehicle and told me that it is from my vehicle. (It was a leyland). And once, the bearing of an alternator failed real quick. I got that opened in my presence, and out came an SKF bearing. I had purchased one from NBC (or was it NRB?). heh. In return for their "services", I increased the size of their vocabulary.
Old 21st August 2008, 00:06   #9
BHPian

hi i dont own a wagon-R, but i own a alto Vx 1.1 ltr 2001 model. I was told that its engine is same as wagon-R and after seeing your pictures i can say that they are exactly the same. many of your questions are already answered...but i want to add few points. 1 (Fuse box) which is given underhood in your picture (also available in alto VX), in that fuses will not go bad so quickly. There is another fuse box in my ALto Vx which is inside cabin on the right side just below the bonnet opening mechanism. It wont be visible easily in sitting position from drivers seat you have to put you head below steering and see it. It contains fuses of head light,parking light,ignition etc ( it should be there in your wagon - R too). 9 is the dipstick for checking the engine oil level and condition. 11 is wiper motor. 13 is the spark plug cable assembly ( was eaten by rats in my car and cost me 540/-) 15 i accelerator cable. your autocop fitting is 8 in your picture. 10 is air filter.

RP
Old 21st August 2008, 01:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

The ECU hookup socket will be under your dashboard, between the steering and central console. Try looking from below. You will find the Autocop too there, I guess. At least the NIPPON in my Swift was installed there.

I don't find the ECU in the engine bay, so maybe it is hidden in the dashboard. Do not mistake the Power steering control unit for the ECU. I had one of my friends remove it and send it to bangalore for some ECU tuning..LOL..
Old 21st August 2008, 14:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

That long vertical thingie on left of the figure 9 is the air breather for the gear box. It prevents bulid up of pressure on the oil seals. There is no need to pull it off.

Why do you feel there should be 3 spark plugs in a 4 cylinder engine?

The compressor maybe below the alternator or towards the front of the vehicle mounted on the engine. Check for the belt/s either you have one belt for both alternator and compressor or a second ... it will lead you to the compressor
Yes 12 is the alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

@speedzak and @headers, see that long vertical thingie on left of the figure 9. It has a rectangular top. At first glance, it looks like a hi-tech dipstick. I almost pulled it the first time I opened the hood the week after I got the car - thought it was the dipstick (the engine oil dipstick is actually on the RHS of the car). This is flexible, about 9inches or so (did not measure it).

13 is spark plug (There should 3 of them?)
Old 21st August 2008, 16:20   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
That long vertical thingie on left of the figure 9 is the air breather for the gear box. It prevents bulid up of pressure on the oil seals. There is no need to pull it off.
Ah. Very, very thanks for that. I was totally puzzled by the length and springiness of that thing. You know, like a kid smelling ice cream. ;-)

Quote:
Why do you feel there should be 3 spark plugs in a 4 cylinder engine?
My bad. I could locate only 3 of those. May be, I need to pull aside some wires and tubes. Problem is, I am too frightened of breaking anything.

@shajufx - saw the manual too. But at time of delivery briefing, the guy had first opened up the hood, and showed some things in there, and when we were seated in the vehicle, he was pointing to the LHS when he mentioned the spare fuses. I was (1) confused when I saw the manual, and thinking that the manual is wrong, or I got it wrogn, and did not believe in existence of another fuse box inside the cabin till you guys posted here.

Hmm.. So for some more poking now. ....
Old 21st August 2008, 17:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

you actually don't need to locate any. But in an earlier post it was mentioned that one plug is below each unit and one is away. So 1st spark plug is below the unit numbered 14 by you and the wire leads you to spark plug to cyl 4. The same is with the other unit above cyl no 3 and the wire from it leads to spark plug on cyl no 2.

Quote:
My bad. I could locate only 3 of those. May be, I need to pull aside some wires and tubes. Problem is, I am too frightened of breaking anything.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
saw the manual too. But at time of delivery briefing, the guy had first opened up the hood, and showed some things in there, and when we were seated in the vehicle, he was pointing to the LHS when he mentioned the spare fuses. I was (1) confused when I saw the manual, and thinking that the manual is wrong, or I got it wrogn, and did not believe in existence of another fuse box inside the cabin till you guys posted here.
Please read your owners manual thoroughly as that is the best source of information about your car.

The sales guys are all half cooked! And you wont break anything if you read about the "Dos and Dont" section in your manual. Or the troubleshooting section.

Last edited by headers : 21st August 2008 at 20:41.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:12   #15
BANNED

Should confess that I am still unable to open the fusebox.

I had to prise open the battery. The two lids (you can see one in pic1) have to be forced open using a screwdriver. I had to use a nail cutter's knife coz. the autocop (#8) does not give much space on the far side. Good thing I forced it. 4 of the cells have 2 inches of less liquid than the other two. BTW. the battery is amaron.

So next job is to get squeeze my 95 kg between the driver's seat and dash and locate the other fuse box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks