Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 17:51   #16
BHPian

I have never notices RPM shooting up in carburetor cars. This happens in some ECU fitted cars, not all. My Ikon has been giving this problem since I bought it. I have tried the service center, mechanics, etc. including Team-BHP to find the solution. No luck. I have learn to live with it.

However I don't buy the "Its normal" explanation. That's not how its suppose to behave. If one release the throttle, the RPM should immediately come down, not delay. If its normal, all ecu fitted cars should behave similarly, which is not the case. And by the way, the driving experience is not pleasant at all, especially when decelerating. I have to hit the brakes much sooner than a carburated car because the cars keeps edging foward more than it should. Imagine this happens on racing cars, that would be nightmare for drivers. Though I've never driven one, I bet that doesn't happen.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:24   #17
BHPian

I think this is normal behaviour in MPFI engines. The RPM does not drop when you take your foot off the gas pedal for 1-2 secs. In the mean time, if you dis-engage clucth, the RPM will go up marginally for 1-2 seconds, before dropping to idling speeds.

Say your idling RPM is 800, and you take your foot off the gas at 1500 RPM and immediately dis-engage clutch, shooting up to 1800 for 1-2 seconds would be normal.

However, if the RPM goes up by a big margin, say to 2000+, or stays that way for more than 1-2 seconds, then there is some problem for sure.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 25th August 2008, 23:06   #18
BHPian

i'm wondering if you should get your accelerator cable checked? esp at the end connected to the engine. I remember in my Palio 1.2, the accelerator cable had one string disengaged from the others (a few strings are twisted to form a cable). This untwisted string was hampering smooth flow of the cable. This caused the engine to keep revving at higher rpm, even when the accelerator pedal was disengaged, albeit for a second or so. I've had a Santro Xing and nothing of that sort happened. So is the case with my new i10 Kappa. Pls check this immediately, so that it doesn't become a safety issue!!

naveen
Old 25th August 2008, 23:26   #19
Ali
BHPian

I guess this is pretty normal,it happens in my santro ERLX too.It happens in the morning.Once the engine is heated up,it becomes normal.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:37   #20
BHPian

RPM shooting

hi

this behaviour is normal in ECU fitten in cars specially when you start the car first time, your RPM will go up and then slowly it will come down to idling RPM.

I have observed this in my Alto Vx also.

RP
Old 28th August 2008, 13:56   #21
BHPian

hi
even i m facing the same problem in my swift dzire vdi.covered about 600 kms.the rpm shoots upwards when the clutch is pressed for stopping/downshifting.

Is This NORMAL??

thanks and regards

ankit jhamb
Old 28th August 2008, 14:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. Just seen this in my friends Accent. He checked with Service guys and they said its normal. So, seems these are more on Hyundai based engines?
Old 8th September 2008, 00:43   #23
BHPian

same problem in baleno

hi i have a 2005 baleno and i m also facing the same problem of engine revving when i press the clutch. but this thing appeared only after i got 3m treatment for my engine. anyway this problem occurs only when the engine is cold in the morning. when its sufficiently hot and i restart the engine this problem disappears. so i think its got to do something with the engine temperature. i asked a few mechanics and they told me the same thing. i guess its normal for all mpfi cars.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:07   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. What I find weird however, is that this thing is seen in some cars and not in others of the same model and manufacturer.

drjankpatel: What is 3M engine treatment?
Old 9th September 2008, 14:29   #25
BHPian

I have noticed the same thing in my WagonR and in our Baleno too. But this happens only in the morning.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:48   #26
BHPian

its removing carbon debris from the engine and cleaning fuel injectors and all those things. the *** guy recommended it. usually done at 20000 km.
Old 9th September 2008, 17:24   #27
BHPian

ikon 1.6 here and same thing lol
Old 9th September 2008, 17:29   #28

I have an Accent GLE and have run about 30k so far. Recently after my major service at 27k, I started to notice that the rpm would go up while pressing the clutch. This was not seen before the service. The service center screwed up something in this case. I have already taken it to the center twice with no luck. I am going to give it one more try.

Ravi
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:13   #29

Same problem with my accent. However, the problem has started surfacing only recently. The car has already done 50k kms. Also, the problem is ocassional, so doesnot happen every time the clutch is engaged.

The problem actually started after i got CNG fitted/service from authorized service center (not able to pin point specifically as both done around the same time)

Can someone please help!!
Old 14th July 2012, 13:58   #30

Re: i10 1.2: RPM goes up when clutch is pressed. Normal?

i have a 1999 santro that has had similar problem since almost 1 year. I was naive when the service guys spun theories in early years. I noticed a few things that are solvable:
1. it happens only with a/c on. switch it off & us see this high rpm revving quieten down.
2. The trigger as rightly said kicks in when one presses the clutch. Its not a 2-3 sec stuff, this goes on many time over a minute & more. move to higher gear without acceleration to die it (it kinds of dampens down after some time at higher gears)

I have changed all that the service guys said: clutch-wire, injector-cleaning, etc, etc (the list is long). I think Hyundai has issues with the ECU board, the electronics seem to be the culprit. I have given up on all the Hyundai authorized service centers (tried different places/people).

It can be dangerous when driving in low-gear in traffic, you press clutch & the rpm shoots very high & when u release the gear, the car just jerks forward.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks