Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 11:22   #1
BHPian

FIAT Petra 1.6 RPM falling down to ZERO

Hello BHPians!
I have been facing a peculiar and frustrating issue with my Fiat Petra 1.6 (Year 2004; clocked 38K). Once every 300-400 KM, the engine refuses to pull the car. I am able to start the car but suddenly the RPM falls to ZERO and engine is off.....after giving several tries the engine finally starts but as I proceed, the engine keeps getting off between gear shifts and I have to give it self every 100-200 Meters. After running 7-8 KM the problem gets rectified itself. I asked my dealer (Dynamic - Noida) for a solution but he failed to provide one.
There is absolutely no other problem with car pick-up, speed, mileage, everything is fine except the above stated problem. I used LPG (Lovato) as fuel for around 10K KM, but since last 5K KM I've completely stopped using LPG. I am expecting to receive some info/solution regarding the same.

Cheers!
Old 26th August 2008, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

get the throttle body cleaned - does it happen when the weather is hot and driven in stop and go traffic? what is the condition of the spark plugs?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 26th August 2008 at 11:36.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
get the throttle body cleaned - does it happen when the weather is hot and driven in stop and go traffic? what is the condition of the spark plugs?
Throttle body got cleaned and spark plugs also replaced during last service. Not only in hot weather, I face this problem when I start the car after keeping it parked for 1-2 hrs.
Old 26th August 2008, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sounds more like a dirty fuel filter/failing fuel pump.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sounds more like a dirty fuel filter/failing fuel pump.
I got the fuel filter changed during last service but the problem still persists.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
I got the fuel filter changed during last service but the problem still persists.
Dear BHPian,

I am waiting for your responses. Please help me with your expertise and experience in resolving this problem.

Cheers!
Old 26th August 2008, 20:42   #7
BHPian

I does sound like a fuel pump issue, but then, I am not an expert.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:06   #8
BHPian

Have you replaced your air filter recently?

The other thing to do is get your car hooked up to the engine computer at dynamic auto. I know that they have one. There is a routine in the diagnostic that checks the throttle position motor. Just stand by the technician's side and make sure he does all the tests.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:39   #9
BHPian

check your ignition switch. maybe it is the culprit.
when you say rpm goes to zero, you obviously mean the engine shuts down.
while running the engine try to move the key in the ignition switch a bit violently, if the ignition cuts, it is the ignition switch.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Have you replaced your air filter recently?

The other thing to do is get your car hooked up to the engine computer at dynamic auto. I know that they have one. There is a routine in the diagnostic that checks the throttle position motor. Just stand by the technician's side and make sure he does all the tests.
Thanks e1t1bet/RedMM340/amitverma !

Air and Fuel filter got changed recently. I'll get the fuel pump checked.
Regarding engine check by computer, they say they do it every time my car visits their work-shop for a service, but as suggested by RedMM340 now I'll stand by the technician when he performs the computer check.

Cheers!
Old 28th August 2008, 02:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
Thanks e1t1bet/RedMM340/amitverma !

Air and Fuel filter got changed recently. I'll get the fuel pump checked.
Regarding engine check by computer, they say they do it every time my car visits their work-shop for a service, but as suggested by RedMM340 now I'll stand by the technician when he performs the computer check.

Cheers!

It is very unlikely that Dynamic does a scanner test at every service. They charged me Rs. 300 for the computer testing an couple of months back.

There are several tests available on the computer, and when I went there, I had the tech run through ALL tests and he found the fan low speed to be not working and had to change a resistor. You will be amazed how helpful and willing the tech will be to run all tests if you slip him a Rs.100 note.

I would be very interested in what you find out, since I also see my engine rpm dip very low once in a while.
Old 28th August 2008, 11:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
It is very unlikely that Dynamic does a scanner test at every service. They charged me Rs. 300 for the computer testing an couple of months back.

There are several tests available on the computer, and when I went there, I had the tech run through ALL tests and he found the fan low speed to be not working and had to change a resistor. You will be amazed how helpful and willing the tech will be to run all tests if you slip him a Rs.100 note.

I would be very interested in what you find out, since I also see my engine rpm dip very low once in a while.
I'll be taking my car to Dynamic Auto this weekend. I'll certainly update you regarding the test result.

Cheers!
Old 29th August 2008, 16:14   #13
BHPian

FIAT Petra 1.6 RPM falling down to ZERO

Dear Deepak,

Get the ECM Reset & Fuel line cleaned & Fuel Filter changed cleaned,

I hope this would solve your problem.

In case problem still persist pm me & I would let you know the number of Fiat Service Head.....

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
Old 4th March 2010, 17:24   #14
DRC
BHPian

Fiat Petra 1.6, unstable idle

Bumping up this thread with a new problem....

I need your expert advice and help with my Petra.

Timing belt replacement for my Petra was long over due. Should have replaced by 60K, but stretched till 87K. Yet the belt was good but the idler had given way. Finally got the work done 2 weeks ago.
I got it replaced at Hariprasad. Soon after that during the test drive, I noticed that the engine was missing a beat once in a while in idle. POwer delivery is neat, starts at the first crank, everything else is neat.

During the 2 weeks of driving the things got worse. Idling would not stay out in hot afternoon. Some times too high, sometimes too low.

Yesterday, took the car back to the garage and opened the hood to notice small traces of soot in the manifold (intake). When we opened the throttle body, there was quite a bit of it inside. The obvious suspect was the timing belt alignment which in fact was found a bit off. Yesterday, garage fixed that too but the problem persists.

Did a ECU scan, found errors related to Evap Emmission valve and MAP sensor. I expected this as both of them were stuck with soot in the manifold.
I don't know what direction to proceed now!
The car is still in the garage and the mechanic is trying trial and error. I quickly need expert's advice before my bill fattens because of his experiments. Please help
Old 4th March 2010, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

i am facing the similar sticky RPM issue (again) since last week.

I guess the ICV in the throttle body needs cleaning - open the hose and spray with an in-let spray. in the mean time try and reset the ECU and see if the problem persists.

in my case the air-filter / intake hose pipe were opened while the clutch fluid pipe was replaced. and i guess they started the engine w/o the filter/ hose pipe fitted.

i have applied WD40 near the hinge (where the accelerator cable is connected to the TB - outside) and it has shown some results though i am not fully satisfied. IMO it still needs cleaning from inside.

see this: Cleaning Your Inlet Control Valve - The FIAT Forum

Also see this: http://www.fiatforum.com/search.php?do=process

Last edited by planet_rocker : 4th March 2010 at 18:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks