Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 13:10   #1
BHPian

Power steering oil leaked - is it safe to drive to workshop?

Hi BHPians - need some advice on the issue detailed below:

My Indica TDI has had a major power steering leakage while parked overnight in the basement. The oil has collected in a puddle on the floor.
I called the Concorde helpline and they sent a mechanic to check the issue. He couldn't figure out where the leakage has occurred and says that the car needs to be driven to the workshop.

The distance from my place is almost 14 kms. Is it safe to drive it this distance without any oil in the hydraulic system? What would be the best way to solve this?

Last edited by viper_711 : 18th September 2008 at 13:11.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its not safe to drive like this, best option is to tow, next best option is to fill the oil again and drive, hopefully its a leak and not an immediate drain and you will reach the SS. And to keep checking after every 3-4 kms.

If it drains out immediately chances are steering will become hard and pump will dry out which might cause damage to the PS components.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not safe at all, you could ruin your power steering system. Have it towed to the workshop.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Towing the car to the service station will be much much cheaper than damaging the power steering unit driving without the oil,please dont risk it driving the car.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I second Dadu's suggestion of filling & driving - also, maybe just the pipe from the fluid container has come off, has he checked that?

In a worse case scenario, I don't see any damage if you drive it carefully to the service center - just don't take any sharp or sudden turns, avoid potholes & you'll be OK. Its only 14 kms.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:01   #6
BHPian

my indigo had the same problem...infact happened thrice in 8days before i sold her..
dont even think of driving her without the oil..i was told that the power steering pump would get damaged if driven like that and it costs more than 10k..
Old 18th September 2008, 14:13   #7
BHPian

I don't know if it will work in your case or not.

But In esteem power steering can be disabled by removing a belt. Its connected to the Compressor bearing of the car, so if you remove the belt the power steering and air conditioning would stop working in the car, and the car would like driving the normal steering. So I guess in that case no damage would be done.

But again you must check it is possible to do in Indica.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I don't know if it will work in your case or not.

But In esteem power steering can be disabled by removing a belt. Its connected to the Compressor bearing of the car, so if you remove the belt the power steering and air conditioning would stop working in the car, and the car would like driving the normal steering. So I guess in that case no damage would be done.

But again you must check it is possible to do in Indica.
Pardon me if Im wrong but doesnt the esteem have an EPS? (electronic power steering)?
Old 18th September 2008, 14:41   #9
BANNED

There are rubber or plastic seals that give way, which causes oil to leak. In some cars seals can be replaced, but in others, whole steering unit has to be replaced.
Towing is best, but I had power steering oil leaking problem in my Ikon & I continued to drive for 3-400km, nothing got damaged.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Pardon me if Im wrong but doesnt the esteem have an EPS? (electronic power steering)?
I am not sure about the new ones, but my 97 model has a HPS.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Fill up oil and then drive to workshop, it won't fully leak within half an hour, unless you have hose crack leading to pressure loss and instant leakage.
If that is the case, even if you start the car, the power steering pump will work since the belt is common.
So best option, take off the alternator belt and drive to workshop.
Oil or no oil it won't matter as you will have manual steering with power steering pump off

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th September 2008 at 14:55.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So best option, take off the alternator belt and drive to workshop.
Oil or no oil it won't matter as you will have manual steering with power steering pump off
Thanks Tanveer - can you also guide me how to do this? is it possible as a DIY or do I need professional help? Where is this belt located?
I am stuck in Noida till Saturday and will have to take this up as soon as I'm back in B'lore.

Last edited by viper_711 : 18th September 2008 at 15:14.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Thanks Tanveer - can you also guide me how to do this? is it possible as a DIY or do I need professional help? Where is this belt located?
I am stuck in Noida till Saturday and will have to take this up as soon as I'm back in B'lore.
DIY is possible if you are mechanically inclined. Its very easy
1. Loosen the belt,
2. Take it off
But better will be to find any roadside mechanic and pay him 30-40rs.
Or you can ask the concorde guy to do the same if they are willing to come again.

But remember without the belt on alternator will also be off, so your battery won't be charging at all only discharging, so keep stereo etc.,

Such sudden leaks usually happen when you hit the underbody. In your case since the entire oil leaked I suspect something is busted.
I am wondering why could the Concorde guy detect the problem.

Fill 500ml oil and see if its leaking, start the car in a dry sport and observe. If its a big leak it will start leaking again.
If you don't see it leaking drive to the workshop.

Are you sure its power steering oil only. did the reservoir go empty?
Old 18th September 2008, 15:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Which is good, you can meet tanveer in NOIDA and he can demonstrate you this in his ....safaaa...eer...indica

Quote:
Old 18th September 2008, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:

it is hard to reach the alternator belt like that without professional help..i was asked not to drive the even for a km without the oil...
in my case the hose connecting the pump and reservoir was cut so the oil got drained in secs...

my advice would be tow her or get some help at your place...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks