Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 23:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
While aquaguard is supposed to purify the water and get rid of bacteria etc., didn't know that it turned the same into distilled water. At least that is the inference I got from your statement..
i got an aquagaurd with reverse osmosis technology that reduces hardness of the water along with purification, along with reduction in minerals, so i thought of adding it in the radiator.

ya agreed nothing can compete with mineral water.

does the radiator or any of its components get chocked due to deposits in the process of evaporation , due to addition of normal water?

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 26th September 2008 at 23:13.
Old 26th September 2008, 23:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

It seems everyone is advicing like the mineral content of water is constant in everyone's tap!! Sigh... its not so! Hardness is very much a function of the area, source of water, etc.

Ideally you should be using only distilled water of a good brand. However, since you have added it just once, and the hardness of the water isn't too high, you are unlikely to see your radiator blast like RDX... LOL!

I'v had people advice me with great conviction that tap water is ok even for batterys... and that they have been doing it without any adverse results. But how can you be so sure? Firstly, tap water differs in hardness. Secondly, your battery that might have lasted for 5 years with pure distilled water may now just last for 3 years!
Old 26th September 2008, 23:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to worry mate its just fine. No harm will come to it infact topping up with water after coolant is slightly more advisable as water has got better heat dissipating qualities.
Old 27th September 2008, 12:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Topping up the battery reminds of an old folklore - if distilled water is not availalbe to top-up then use sodawater. Open the cap and keep it for sometime so that the gas escapes and it becomes flat. Now pour in the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I'v had people advice me with great conviction that tap water is ok even for batterys... and that they have been doing it without any adverse results. But how can you be so sure? Firstly, tap water differs in hardness. Secondly, your battery that might have lasted for 5 years with pure distilled water may now just last for 3 years!
Old 27th September 2008, 13:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Any water purifier/filter on the market will give out water with some mineral content, to retain some 'taste' to the water. That is what HUMANS want.
Distilled water is utterly without even trace elements or minerals, and that is what batteries NEED.
Old 27th September 2008, 22:47   #21
BHPian

Yes Aquaguard does not soften water - if you have RO then the water is much softer.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
- if you have RO then the water is much softer.
True, but you're even better off collecting the condensate from the airconditioner, if possible. That's as close to home-distilled water as you can get.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

although rainwater is also one of the purest form of water, if collected directly after the first few rains.
Old 29th September 2008, 20:49   #24
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just use regular tap water..and don't worry about anything that you shouldn't be..unless you mixed rose syrup along with it. Forget about the issue.. Happy Driving.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

You should only be bothered about not filling hard water.

How to know if its hard water or not?
Simple - use a normal bathing soap. If it doesnt foam well, or doesnt foam at all - its hard.

Hard water is differnet from our daily drinking water. Infact drikning har water can give you stomach cramps.

It is this hardwater that causes scaling in heating equipment.

If the water you put in was not hard, you dont need to worry. Whatever minerals that water may be having.

(Bore water is sometimes hard)
Old 30th September 2008, 12:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

PS: seems like ppl have forgotten primary school science.
Harness is caused by calcium and magnesium salts.

Usual drinking water has sodium, potassium, ... salts. But the calcium and magnesium content is very low.

It is these Ca and Mg salts cause problems.
Hard water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th September 2008, 12:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Amit no need to worry. The other day my battery died the car wouldnt start, checked battery & it was all dry, poured tap water in & voila it cranked in one go
Old 30th September 2008, 15:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

i think the coolant itself must be having properties like anti corrosion or anti rust. so pouring tap water in radiator shouldnt harm much.

but pouring tap water in battery might be harmful to the cells.
Old 30th September 2008, 16:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
hello guys,
i was unaware about putting distilled water in the radiator along with the coolant. i drained out the entire coolant , washed the radiator and put a new castrol coolant with normal fresh water (not the borewell water)

will it harm my radiator as i read somewhere that one should use only distilled water.

what are the steps i should take now
This was on the 26th Sept 2008

Quote:
i think the coolant itself must be having properties like anti corrosion or anti rust. so pouring tap water in radiator shouldnt harm much.

but pouring tap water in battery might be harmful to the cells.
And this on 30th Sept.

The typical Team-BHP effect. Makes everyone an expert in no time flat.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 30th September 2008, 16:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
had it been i knew it i would have got a bucket from my aquagaurd or distilled water bottles.
Aquaguard or any other water purifier do not give distilled water. infact, distilled water is inedible.

If you want distilled water without going to a shop, then collect the water that drops from your household air-conditioner. that water condenses from the water vapour in the air, hence is minerals free (distilled).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks