Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 23:58   #1
BHPian

Baleno strange problem !

Hi All,

This is my 1st post here on teambhp so please forgive me for my ignorance on anything i may miss.

I have a Baleno 2005 model which has done 65000 KM . All through the years, it has always been serviced at strict 5000KM Interval with plugs and air filter changed every 10000 KM . It gives me fuel economy of 12-13 in city driving and upto 16 on highways given the fact that i've never taken it over 100-110 till date.

Last week i opened the bonnet to check for water top up for wipers etc. and noticed that engine bay was not clean and so immediately took it to the nearest authorized service station for washing (NO Servicing but washing only this time). I've been with this service station for years and since day 1, the car has been serviced there and right in front of me so there was no issue of any tampering etc. with car.

The only wrong thing which i believe they did this time was, handed me the car hurriedly as it was evening time. Now after i took it off, it drove perfect for around 20 KM and thats when it started giving problems. The misfires were happening pointing that there was water in the plugs or coil. I took the car there the next day and they changed the plugs fearing that some plug had shorted out. The problem was resolved except 1 thing, the car now gives me 1 or 2 jerks while iam revving up from 1000/1500 to 2000 ! Its just 1 or 2 jerks but they are there and in every gear. There is no knocking nothing else but these 2 damn jerks !

I've yesterday got the injectors cleaned, the 2 spark plug coils and the fuel filter changed but its all in vain. The car has gained superb pickup ever since these 3 things were done but i still have those jerks and they are more felt when the car has a cold start.

What adds more to this problem is that i checked the average for the 200 KM i drove after the changes were done and it was 13 KM ! (It was easy to check average as I drive tank full and usually top up every 300 KM or so).

The fuel in the car comes from 1 of the best petrol pumps in new delhi which is also company operated so no question of fuel being bad either as far i can see.

Somehow i still feel there is some water in there somewhere which might be creating this fuss but ever since this ordeal, the car has done around 200+KM so is there any possibility of water being there anywhere ?

Iam not sure what could be the problem so here iam ! Needing help from all you guys who could !

Thanks & God Bless !
Old 11th October 2008, 01:41   #2
BHPian

I would like to add 1 more thing here, the new spark plugs the service station added are champion spark plugs. could that be the possible culprit for these jerks ?
Old 11th October 2008, 09:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
I would like to add 1 more thing here, the new spark plugs the service station added are champion spark plugs. could that be the possible culprit for these jerks ?
I think you hit the nail, most likely this is the culprit. Why don't you try sourcing the NGK's or Bosch ?
Old 11th October 2008, 09:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I think you hit the nail, most likely this is the culprit. Why don't you try sourcing the NGK's or Bosch ?
Spark plugs are the culprit ones... Change them to bosch atleast !
Old 11th October 2008, 12:13   #5
BHPian

I'm facing a similar problem, so can't really help you out here.. Try changing the plugs, and after the plugs are removed, make sure the mechanic cleans the plug holes through the tappet cover thoroughly, there could be some left over moisture.

If the problem still doesn't get solved, do a scan on the Tech2 and go through all the sensor readings and check for any malfunction.

BTW, how much did the ignition coils cost you?
Old 11th October 2008, 12:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Does the coil come with coil wires? If not check them along with the caps. Also all the electrical wiring for ignition and grounding.
Old 11th October 2008, 13:25   #7
BHPian

I had the exact same issue after I got my engine washed at a service station. High pressure water got into something. My MASS solved it, The bill says " Starting Motor(self) cleaning. Timing Belt Tensioner Adjustment" Came to 281/- I remember the service supervisor saying that something to do with ignition had got wet. No plugs were changed.
Old 11th October 2008, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

After engine wash it is always recommended to pull out the coils and its attached harnessof other two plugs and blow dry the water which goes into the spark plug chamber. Dont ever use champion plugs.
Filcord, starting motor cleaning for misfires and jerks? that fellow works for the duration you crank the car and stops the movement car starts(when the key is released). CAnt figure out how MASS blamed it for misfires!
Old 12th October 2008, 10:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
After engine wash it is always recommended to pull out the coils and its attached harnessof other two plugs and blow dry the water which goes into the spark plug chamber. Dont ever use champion plugs.
Filcord, starting motor cleaning for misfires and jerks? that fellow works for the duration you crank the car and stops the movement car starts(when the key is released). CAnt figure out how MASS blamed it for misfires!
Now that you explain it, yes it's a mystery what they did. Anyway,they solved the problem, perhaps by just blowing air as you say, and decided to charge me with the other thing!
Old 12th October 2008, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Hi all
changed the plugs to NGK but it seems the 1-2 jerk is still there

Not sure what else could be done to fix it .
Old 12th October 2008, 21:15   #11
BHPian

i also face the similar problem(jerks very badly in slow speed) since few weeks .. mine is a ZEN 2003(completed97k kms) mpfi. today was raining heavily here(chennai) and i went out in the rain in little less than knee deep water. the car became VERY sluggish, felt vibrations badly at slow speed (20kmph @ 3rd gear) and also noticed white smoke from exhaust . earlier i was using iridium plugs had few problems with it like the engine gets off when changing gears so shifted to champion spark plugs long back and got all the spark wires cleaned and that solved.. from about 1 month i experience virations like the engine is just to switch off in idle with a/c on the condition becomes very pathetic, what might be the problem? help me ..

i've told these problems at maruti service masters, venkateswara motors and also abirami motors.. no one is able to solve the problem completely.. but are able to fix it temporarily..
Old 13th October 2008, 09:31   #12
BHPian

Nobody around knows any solution to this ? Wondering..........
Old 13th October 2008, 10:22   #13
BHPian

One of your sensors could be conked off. I am not sure which sensor, ask the maruti guys which all sensors can get spoild by water.

TPS, EGT, Idle control motor is what i would check. This is a long shot and only a guess.
Old 13th October 2008, 10:48   #14
BHPian

I had a similar problem. In addition to the jerks, my fuel pump used to make noise when the ignition was turned to the "ON" position. The pump conked off after a few months. After changing the fuel pump, the jerks also disappeared!

Butttt.. now, the jerks have started again!

@delhi2009: have you done a hi-scan on the Suzuki Tech2?
Please check all sensor readings and error codes to evaluate all possible sensor malfunctions.

Last edited by shrivz : 13th October 2008 at 10:54.
Old 13th October 2008, 18:17   #15
BHPian

im also suspecting of a sensor malfunction. but how to get it checked ?

new problem observed today : earlier when i start the engine in a cold start, the RPM climbs to 1400(even 1600 rarely) and today when i started the car in the morning RPM was only 1000. i was surprised to see it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks