Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:25   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Valve settings are to be done with engine at operating temperature and very hot. This method will result in a lot of spilt oil in the engine bay but is the fail safe and perfect method.
never do this. this is a wrong method. your concepts are wrong.
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Valve settings are to be done with engine at operating temperature and very hot. This method will result in a lot of spilt oil in the engine bay but is the fail safe and perfect method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
never do this. this is a wrong method. your concepts are wrong.
Valve clearance setting can be done on either on a cold or a hot engine. The clearance values will change depending on whether engine is hot or cold. Like the values I have mentioned earlier are for a cold engine.
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Valve clearance setting can be done on either on a cold or a hot engine. The clearance values will change depending on whether engine is hot or cold. Like the values I have mentioned earlier are for a cold engine.
The constraint is that makers invariably specify the valve clearance values for cold engine. Do any makers specify for hot engine?
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Yes they do specify for a hot engine also. At least Suzuki does. I know this as in the Swift workshop manual that I have for my car both hot & cold values are specified. They have in fact gone to the extent of specifying what the temperature of the engine should when it is hot. For the Swift the clearance setting should be done when the engine is either at 15 - 25 deg.C when cold or 60 - 68 deg.C. when hot.

So I am sure that even for an Alto they would have given both values in the workshop manual.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:23   #95
Senior - BHPian

so which ones is recommended? generally the A.S.S prefer to do it on the cold engine.
updates are that the vibrations have increased again. last 3 months i have cleaned my throttle body 3-4 times. once i got it cleaned and went for a continuous trip of 300 kms. at the end of this trip, the RPM again started fluctuating on the idling. i came back to pune and again got the throttle body cleaned.also got my K&N filter replaced saying that filter is not able to filter the dirt properly. for few days the fluctuations disappeared and now again the surfaced. now just few days back i had posted that along with the valve setting i got my throttle body cleaned.
now since yes night again the same fluctuations are occuring. what the hell, i am bugged up with this problem.
are there any openings/leakages possible from where the throttle body idling valve which operates on magnetic effect get fouled?
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

There is no recommendations from the company. Both hot & cold engine are OK.

I am now beginning to suspect fuel quality. Also when did you last replace the fuel filter? Try replacing the fuel filter and see if it makes any difference.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:42   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no recommendations from the company. Both hot & cold engine are OK.

I am now beginning to suspect fuel quality. Also when did you last replace the fuel filter? Try replacing the fuel filter and see if it makes any difference.
fuel quality is very good, also the fuel filter is brand new, the old one was also not fouled when i replaced it. and the issue is only with the idling. in normal operations my car has no problem at all. its only in idling that the RPM oes up and down. its just damn irritating.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:27   #98
BHPian

Quote:
so which ones is recommended? generally the A.S.S prefer to do it on the cold engine.
Hi Amit, I'm guessing it is recommended to set clearances on a cold engine. It would be cumbersome, not to mention dangerous, to do so on an engine thats 60 or 70 degrees hot ! The hot values are probably mentioned so that you can check them on a hot engine & see if they're out of spec. I presume the hot values are important since that's the operating regime for engines.

Quote:
last 3 months i have cleaned my throttle body 3-4 times. once i got it cleaned and went for a continuous trip of 300 kms. at the end of this trip, the RPM again started fluctuating on the idling. i came back to pune and again got the throttle body cleaned.
Why would you have to clean the throttle-body, on an average, once a month ? Are you seeing dirt or dust on the butterfly valve or the throttle-body innards ? And what does throttle-body cleaning at your service-center entail ? Is it the standard BG treatment ?

Quote:
are there any openings/leakages possible from where the throttle body idling valve which operates on magnetic effect get fouled?
If you mean the IAC, I remember reading (poorly !) in the manual that it's a sealed unit & if found faulty, its better to replace it than to open it up. Will confirm this from the service manual tomorrow.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Did you get the TPS values checked? Also check if the Idle Air Control valve is functioning properly.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

Amit I belive you have already compared your car with other Altos, if not then please do.

I am sure as before there is nothing wrong with your car.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you have to clean the throttle-body, on an average, once a month ? Are you seeing dirt or dust on the butterfly valve or the throttle-body innards ? And what does throttle-body cleaning at your service-center entail ? Is it the standard BG treatment ?
i had to do it frequently as the RPM was fluctuating on idling. every time i clean the throttle body this problem disappears and again the problem arises after few hundreds of kms.
throttle body cleaning includes dismantling of the throttle body, cleaning all the holes/ports/slots etc with carburetor spray, then blowing pressurized air and then fitting it back.
when the treatment spray is sprayed over the throttle body i see black dirt particles. please see the picture in the post. the valve on the throttle body is dismantled and cleaned too. i dont think the pic is of actual throttle body of an alto, but it will give an idea.

Quote:
If you mean the IAC, I remember reading (poorly !) in the manual that it's a sealed unit & if found faulty, its better to replace it than to open it up. Will confirm this from the service manual tomorrow.
then i think its not the sealed component they open, i think the pic will give a better idea.

Quote:
Did you get the TPS values checked? Also check if the Idle Air Control valve is functioning properly.
yes the TPS reads exact 0.8v. how to check the IAC valve functioning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Amit I belive you have already compared your car with other Altos, if not then please do.

I am sure as before there is nothing wrong with your car.
yes the vibrations on the gear lever though more after the valve tappet setting is fine with other altos too. but the case of RPM fluctuating on idling is definitely not present on other altos, nor was present on mine before.
and the thing is when the throttle body is cleaned then this problem disappears for a while and again comes back. i dont understand why the throttle body fouls again and again.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Behavior of my ALTO, Expert's Advice needed-0061.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd January 2009 at 15:06.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Amit I had the same problem when i got my car serviced last time. I told them that FE was less so they should check and do necessary things. Left the car with them took the deliver in the evening and next very day found out that the vibrations increased. Took the car back they checked almost everything. Changed Fuel Filter and spark plugs but still same problem. So i told them to reset the ecu by disconnecting battery and ever since then the vibrations are less but not as smooth as it was earlier.

Does the RPM drop while changing gears ?
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:33   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Does the RPM drop while changing gears ?
i have reset the ECU and checked the sparkplugs and other things too.
whenever i press the clutch while driving to slow down or to stop the RPM falls suddenly then the gear lever vibrates a lot and then the RPM again comes to a constant.
when i keep my car on idling and open the bonnet and observe the engine i see the rpm goes up and down after every say 5-8 seconds.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:40   #104
BHPian

I had a similar issue with my wifes Alto. The problem was with the OIL PUMP. The car seems to run fine after the Oil Pump replacement.

The Car is a second hand one I get it serviced regularly. My wife kept on complaining about a strange hissing noise while driving which I used to assure her to be normal and she also used to complain about performance difference while driving. Checked with the Mech and the diagnosis was that the Fuel Pump was choked. the metal mesh (Filter Net) in the fuel Filter had so much of sludge on it and was choked. It seemed that the previous owner had not changed oil for long and hence the problem.

This week she complained about a warrning indicator which stays ON. Its the Engine Indicator the one which looks like a tap.

Last edited by Cloud_Chaser : 2nd January 2009 at 15:58. Reason: Removed color tag
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

see the arrow and the circled part. its not sealed. it has screws to it and a valve which operates on magnetic effect. the A.S.S people removed it and cleaned along with dismantling the entire throttle body.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Behavior of my ALTO, Expert's Advice needed-engine.jpg  

Most Viewed