Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2019, 15:37   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What will be the effect of 100% coolant?

Surprised to see you perpetuating the misuse of coolant, which ought to have got cleared up early in the thread, but, unfortunately remains in the title.

What cools our engines is water. the other stuff is additives that act as antifreeze and corrosion inhibitors. Antifreeze is irrelevant to much of India but very, very relevant to those up north where temperatures fall below zero. A frozen engine is quite likely to be a destroyed engine.

So the question is how the thermal conductivity of the additives compares to water? If lower, then cooling will be worse.

But, as has also been mentioned on the thread, the "100% coolant" that many are seeing is a premixed combination of water and additive. The only thing I wonder about rust is how much people are paying for water!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 02:04   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Coolant has nothing to do with the cleanliness inside an engine. If your oil changes are well within the required time, the internals should remain fairly clean.

Btw, why ever did you need to change the pistons of a "clean engine"...!?

Your FNG is possibly using pre-mixed coolant.
I meant that there were no signs of rusting in the engine. The pickup had become a little sluggish so got them changed. Now the car behaves like new.
Old 19th July 2020, 10:55   #213
BHPian

Need to do a radiator flush and "anti freeze + water" refill, in my Toyota. But the ASC looks to be closed. They use a pink anti freeze as OEM.

I need to get it done from my trusted mechanic. What's the name of this pink colour anti freeze?
Old 19th July 2020, 11:18   #214
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Need to do a radiator flush and "anti freeze + water" refill, in my Toyota. But the ASC looks to be closed. They use a pink anti freeze as OEM.

I need to get it done from my trusted mechanic. What's the name of this pink colour anti freeze?
It is called super long life coolant and its premixed so no need to add distilled water, it costs around 300 per liter

Last edited by jav : 19th July 2020 at 11:19.
jav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 19:59   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
It is called super long life coolant and its premixed so no need to add distilled water, it costs around 300 per liter
That's correct. But since I can't buy it OTC, I need to buy the coolant separately and mix it with water at the garage.
Old 19th July 2020, 20:05   #216
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
That's correct. But since I can't buy it OTC, I need to buy the coolant separately and mix it with water at the garage.
you can buy it from the parts counter at the service center when it opens, please use the oem pink coolant as that is the best one and it lasts a really long time.
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:16   #217
BHPian

Update - Flushed the radiator clean. Filled in one "SSDV" concentrate 2 litres (pink colour) and 3.5 litres DW

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks