Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 01:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Lol! That was a good one! Better still, install a car fridge like they have in the west. Then you would have a dubious in-house distilled water production plant for free. Or would you recommend collecting the car AC water instead, for lesser folks like me (who don't have a car fridge)?

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th October 2009 at 01:32.
Old 13th October 2009, 02:35   #122
Senior - BHPian

Touche',

you got me man! I never thought one of the advantages of joining the forum would be that you get to end the day with a hearty laugh.
Old 19th October 2009, 14:40   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Again, although I agree with your point, you are confusing the issue with your use of the word coolant.

The system (assumng it isn't empty) always contains 100% coolant!
I agree that whatever be the fluid in the radiator whether 100% aqua or 100% antifreeze is the coolant. However, I think in this discussion the term coolant is used as a synonym for Antifreeze.
Old 19th October 2009, 14:56   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes... but that is exactly the mistake many of us are trying to sort out. It is not a synonym for anti-freeze.

I'm preferring to say "additive" , rather than "anti-freeze", as many of our members may not have heard of "freeze" even, being blessed with being born where such a thing does not happen
Old 19th October 2009, 22:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks! Are you from Navy/Merchant Navy background, sir?
Indeed I am; from the latter.
What made you ask, may I ask?
Old 19th October 2009, 22:22   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Aye, it would be!
I've mentioned it here:
Quote:
Indeed I am; from the latter.
What made you ask, may I ask?
The "Aye" sir! For a while our company had a shipping division and I was in-charge of the pay roll of the floating personnel. Had heard this usage whenever I went on board at Indian ports.

Just a shot in the dark!
Old 18th November 2010, 12:42   #127

Uh-oh!

I recently got the coolant changed when I went to fill fuel. The guy told me that there was too much water and the mixture was too thin; so I asked him to change it. Since i just purchased the car ('98 carb'd Esteem) I'm not well aware of these things.

He put in 3or4liters (not sure) of pure coolant.

What should I do? Flush a portion out and top up with water? Or just let it be?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 18th November 2010, 13:21   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Aaaarrrggghhh (sorry, not personal, this is just one of my 'things'

Pure coolant would be --- water.

Putting aside my language rant, though, and trying to be more useful: I think you should have it checked at a service station, where, hopefully, they will do so properly. I don't know how they do it, but I guess it is like checking the SG of battery fluid. This used to be a regular autumn thing, back in UK, in the pre-sealed days, to check the anti-freeze concentration and top up if necessary.

Still being cynical... can't help wondering if this guy just wanted to sell you 3-4 litres of additive! I wonder how many people he tells to add water!
Old 18th November 2010, 13:30   #129
Senior - BHPian

@Thad
The can itself announces loudly it is such and such brand of "engine coolant". So nobody uses the term "anti freeze" here! Moreover I think it has some anti-corrosive properties as well.

@David
As Thad says, the actual cooling is done by the water. The so called coolant is added to prevent freezing during very cold weather and to minimize scaling/corrosion. It also raises the boiling point of water to minimize evaporation. Take the car to a workshop asap and tell them what happened.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th November 2010 at 13:32.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:37   #130

By coolant I mean the additive, not a cooling material. To the best of my (limited) knowledge, the additive we purchase at petrol bunkers/pumps is known as coolant; which is why I referred to it as coolant; Am i mistaken? I in no way meant the actual material (water) that performs the cooling.

So coming back to my question, should I drain out some of the so called "coolant aka green stuff" and pour in some distilled water?
Old 18th November 2010, 13:49   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.mcgreggor View Post
So coming back to my question, should I drain out some of the so called "coolant aka green stuff" and pour in some distilled water?
Absolutely. Take the car to the MASS, tell them what happened and they will do the needful. For most cars the ratio will be two thirds water and one third coolant.

Before that please check the can of whatever coolant was filled in your car. Some brands may come pre-mixed with distilled water, ready for use. If what you filled belongs to this category, you can rest easy and need not worry.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th November 2010 at 13:54.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:52   #132

Cool, will take it to MASS this weekend. Thanks!
Old 18th November 2010, 15:11   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep... don't try correcting the concentration yourself, a you cannot measure it.

Hopefully, MASS will do the job properly.
Old 18th November 2010, 19:06   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It also raises the boiling point of water to minimize evaporation. ....
Not really! The boiling point elevation is achieved by having the system under pressure.
Old 18th November 2010, 19:19   #135

Quote:
Not really! The boiling point elevation is achieved by having the system under pressure.
Makes sense to me!

Anup, What would you say are the possible issues with running the car with only the "green stuff" in the radiator (sans water)

If I'm not mistaken the "green stuff" also has some amount of water in it, and I doubt its too viscous so as to not flow if not diluted. What's your take on this?

Cheers,
Dave

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks