Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 14:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
what do you mean by 'locally' ? Authorized service station guys will not do some Abra Ka dabra. They will put in a bottle of coolant and top it up with water itself.

Its surprising that you are aware that there is no coolant there and still you want to think about it. Just go ahead brother, purchase a bottle Golden Cruiser, empty that into your radiator and after that keep fiiling the radiator with normal water, till it starts to overflow.

PS : By the way, try and go with your car to see what the Authorized service centers do to your cars in name of service, you will stop going there after that.
My nearest Honda service center is 3hrs drive away!! 'Golden Cruiser' that's what i needed a name. also this is the first time that this has happened, usually they have all aspects covered when I go in for service.
Old 31st October 2008, 15:04   #32
BHPian

its kind of a weird coincidence. I have been thinking of topping up the coolant in my car for 2-3 days now, just wasn't finding the time. Today i come across this thread completly by chance.

Cleared a lot of doubts that i had regarding coolants and their concentrated use.
Old 31st October 2008, 17:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
My nearest Honda service center is 3hrs drive away!! 'Golden Cruiser' that's what i needed a name. also this is the first time that this has happened, usually they have all aspects covered when I go in for service.
In your case, you should have minimal reliance on the service station. For stuff like, coolant, oils, battery checkup, filters etc, you can very well rely on your local mechanic, as long as things are done infront of you.
Old 31st October 2008, 18:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
In your case, you should have minimal reliance on the service station. For stuff like, coolant, oils, battery checkup, filters etc, you can very well rely on your local mechanic, as long as things are done infront of you.
Ya, i guess you are right, and especially the 'In front of you' part so often these smaller places can get work done, but you need to be around to see if it's done right.
Old 31st October 2008, 20:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
Hi,

I read on the coolent bottle that we need to add 2 parts of water. A quick question came into my mind - What if I didn't added water or added less water say, 25% water and 75% coolent?

What will be the effect of no water or less water added to coolent?

Thanks in advance
My 2 Cents

All Coolant wouldnt allow the engine to heat up to the desired and recommended levels, or maybe take much more time to reach the desired temperatures. As discussed on another thread on T-Bhp 'How to get more mileage/average', if the engine is cooler than the desired temperature, then it consumes more fuel.
So this would have a straight impact on the fuel economy of the vehicle, Though unsure of the amount of impact.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
My 2 Cents

All Coolant wouldnt allow the engine to heat up to the desired and recommended levels, or maybe take much more time to reach the desired temperatures.
Hope this helps.
No it does not help, Vinit! What you are saying is the exact opposite of what would happen in real life!
It's the water that does the cooling, not the 'coolant'!
Old 31st October 2008, 22:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
No it does not help, Vinit! What you are saying is the exact opposite of what would happen in real life!
It's the water that does the cooling, not the 'coolant'!
Oops. Am not so sound technically! I went by the term 'Coolant' and understood it as its function.
Old 1st November 2008, 07:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I went by the term 'Coolant' and understood it as its function.
Which is why Thad has been saying it ought not to be called 'coolant'. 'Anti-freeze' or 'additive' are the better terms!
The Englishman has a point!
Old 1st November 2008, 13:33   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Somebody was posting elsewhere as to whether he should worry that his coolant reservoir is nearly empty --- he's the one who truly is running on less than 100% coolant

It had better be 'additive' here down South: people would fell they were being ripped off, being sold anti-freeze!
Old 2nd November 2008, 00:05   #40
BHPian

didnt get the bands of coolant i was looking for, the Lubes shop guy told me that it was best that i didnt put anything that was sold in his shop, esp if mine is a OHC (dunno why he said that?). So i called Honda and I'm heading that way tomorrow anyways, The guy on the other side asked me to fill my radiator with Plain Water. do the 130Km journey and they'll help me with the rest.
1. I did the filling water part.
2. Am I doing the right thing by waiting and taking it to the service enter.
3. should I just go ahead and fill the Local stuff inspite of the guy himself asking me to go to Honda?
4. why is a silly issue like Coolant making me loose my cool (jus quoting Thad!)
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:36   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

johnda... sorry for calling you "somebody". I should have looked back to the post
Quote:
why is a silly issue like Coolant making me loose my cool (jus quoting Thad!)

I think you are ok with water for a limited time. The problem is that stuff (well, iron, specifically) starts to rust, and the question is how quickly does it do that?

Hopefuly somebody knows...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd November 2008 at 01:38.
Old 2nd November 2008, 07:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
johnda... sorry for calling you "somebody". I should have looked back to the post

I think you are ok with water for a limited time. The problem is that stuff (well, iron, specifically) starts to rust, and the question is how quickly does it do that?

Hopefuly somebody knows...
Thanks Thad, I'm heading to Tvm this evening and will sort the issue out pronto. I got a bit when the Lubes shop guy said "if it's a honda city then i dont have the brand you use, pls go to your service center". first time that was happening too.
And - I got myself some coolant too - cheers!!
Old 7th April 2009, 08:16   #43
BANNED

I have 100% coolant.The (non amine) blue coolant,i got it filled fully this time.I dont think it would be bad idea this summer to have 100% coolant?
Old 7th April 2009, 08:30   #44
BANNED

Any idea whats the difference in the blue and green coolants?Can anyone tell me which one is best??
Old 7th April 2009, 12:55   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

You should chose carefully according to which suits the colour of your car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks