Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 19:41   #46
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon intermittent overheating problem (probably Thermostat?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It should not. Can you please check if the slow speed fan is kicking in at all in non AC use. You will have to idle the engine, wait for the temperature to rise and watch if the slow speed fan is turning on. It can be heard. If you are unsure, just pop the hood and observe.

I suspect blocked water jackets around the engine block or a failing water pump Coolant is not circulating well enough. A higher rpm is required for more water pressure to be pushed into those clogged water jackets.

I would check the water pump too. Only a mechanic can do this.
I had done a similar test a few days back with the AC on, and the slow speed fan did kick in. Today evening (7pm), i trooped down to the basement and started and let the car idle w/o AC on. It was idling for about 8 min, but the slow speed fan did not kick in. I poked the torch below the car and there are no signs of any leaks, its bone dry.

Quote:
The condenser and radiator are right up front. Its what you see behind the bumper grill where the Ford logo is and below it. The section below exposes more of the condenser and radiator components. Get this pressure washed well. A visual inspection is enough to tell you the condition of the condenser and radiator.
It is always kind of bad lighting in the basement, poked a torch around the radiator, could not make out if it was really dirty or not. Maybe I can have the car wash guy only point the hose at the radiator/condenser and not the whole insides, no?

I think the higher RPM required to get the water pressure going seems to be pointing towards something about a water pump.

I will take it to the FNG in a day or two. Meanwhile, the car is sitting in the basement.
Old 17th April 2013, 21:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout_boy View Post
I had done a similar test a few days back with the AC on, and the slow speed fan did kick in.
If it did, then you are alright. However; it is worth checking if it is functional at low speed in non AC use. You have reported the high fan speed working at times. This happens only when the temperature is heading north a little too soon. Else; the slow speed fan is sufficient to keep temperatures in check.

Quote:
Maybe I can have the car wash guy only point the hose at the radiator/condenser and not the whole insides, no?
This will do. You can use a industrial air blower to blow out dust from the engine bay. You will need to water spray if it is very dirty.

I now rule out any fault with the fan. If the temperature is not reducing with the high fan speed, this is clearly lack of coolant flow around the engine block. Scale build up in the water jackets or a failing water pump could be the culprits.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 21:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
If it did, then you are alright. However; it is worth checking if it is functional at low speed in non AC use. You have reported the high fan speed working at times. This happens only when the temperature is heading north a little too soon. Else; the slow speed fan is sufficient to keep temperatures in check.
On non-AC usage, the high speed fan kicked in only after a few km (4-5) of driving, today evenings test was on a stationary car, maybe that is why it never kicked in. During driving, engine gets hotter than when its standstill and because of hiccups in coolant flow (due to water pump, maybe), the high speed fan kicks in.

Quote:
I now rule out any fault with the fan. If the temperature is not reducing with the high fan speed, this is clearly lack of coolant flow around the engine block. Scale build up in the water jackets or a failing water pump could be the culprits.
Yup, its the lack of coolant flow...

Will update what happens when i take it to the FNG on saturday...
Old 17th April 2013, 22:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I think the higher RPM required to get the water pressure going seems to be pointing towards something about a water pump.

I will take it to the FNG in a day or two. Meanwhile, the car is sitting in the basement.

I have a feeling you have a small leak somewhere and it is pulling air in, Might be worthwhile to check the lower radiator plumbing.

The cost of the Water pump is 900 rupees , I have a spare with me could have given it to you if you were in Delhi.

If the cap does not lock ( meaning it can rotate when tightened really hard whereas it should never ) can cause this problem too. If this is the case replace the coolant tank and cap for 1200 rupees.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 22:23   #50
BHPian

[quote=Catalyst_delhi;3097660]I have a feeling you have a small leak somewhere and it is pulling air in, Might be worthwhile to check the lower radiator plumbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
The cost of the Water pump is 900 rupees , I have a spare with me could have given it to you if you were in Delhi.
gee, thanks! i live in Pune, so am gonna try my luck with the local garage.

Quote:
If the cap does not lock ( meaning it can rotate when tightened really hard whereas it should never ) can cause this problem too. If this is the case replace the coolant tank and cap for 1200 rupees.
The coolant tank top seems ok, when turned on tight, it does not rotate at full tightness.

Today evening after an idle running test of 8 minutes, i cautiously opened the coolant tank, and faint wisps of smoke were coming out of it. I think this is quite normal, no?
Old 17th April 2013, 22:32   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you checked the temperature sensor? It may be malfunctioning,or on it's way out. Also, is there a mix of old and new parts? Say, old hose on a new socket, or an old cap on a new bottle?
This could explain the loss of coolant without any trails, as the loss happens during hot runs.

You really should, though, get your sensor checked.

PS: the part about it being normal for engines to run at 75% on the gauge in pune weather, it's a load of bull.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 22:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ikon Engine Overheating and Damage

Hissing when opening the cap is normal. Because, the entire cooling system is pressurized. But there must not be any hissing when it is closed.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 22:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Hissing when opening the cap is normal. Because, the entire cooling system is pressurized. But there must not be any hissing when it is closed.
Yup, there is no hissing when it is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Have you checked the temperature sensor? It may be malfunctioning,or on it's way out.
Nope, have not got the temperature sensor checked? is this the same as the resistor switch?

Quote:
Also, is there a mix of old and new parts? Say, old hose on a new socket, or an old cap on a new bottle?
This could explain the loss of coolant without any trails, as the loss happens during hot runs.
Not as far as I know. The only thing that got replaced was the thermostat housing (whose picture I attached earlier).

Quote:
PS: the part about it being normal for engines to run at 75% on the gauge in pune weather, it's a load of bull.
Well, in fairness to the garage owner, he was talking about 50% being normal under load in this hot Pune weather. I may have not expressed it correctly when i put in the figure of 75% (i was referring to how high sometimes the engine temp needle goes with AC on)
burnout_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 17:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I drove it to the garage this morning (about 4km away) and the problem surfaced up. So it was kind of easy for them to see it. They diagnosed it as a stuck thermostat. 1800 for part, 400 for coolant, and 200 for labor. Drove back about 7km, 80% of it w/o AC - no issues, engine temp stayed at 1/3rd, turned the AC for the rest of the journey, and the low speed fan kicked in, engine temp needle stayed at 1/3rd, popped open the hood in the basement and verified the fan running at low speed.

Picture of the blown thermostat attached.

So far seems good. I have nowhere to go except short errands to run tomorrow around my neighborhood; I will report back with an update over the week-end.

Thanks to catalyst_delhi and sandeepmohan
Attached Thumbnails
Ikon Engine Overheating and Damage-thermostat.jpg  

Old 19th April 2013, 22:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I drove it to the garage this morning (about 4km away) and the problem surfaced up. So it was kind of easy for them to see it. They diagnosed it as a stuck thermostat. 1800 for part, 400 for coolant, and 200 for labor. Drove back about 7km, 80% of it w/o AC - no issues, engine temp stayed at 1/3rd, turned the AC for the rest of the journey, and the low speed fan kicked in, engine temp needle stayed at 1/3rd, popped open the hood in the basement and verified the fan running at low speed.

Picture of the blown thermostat attached.

So far seems good. I have nowhere to go except short errands to run tomorrow around my neighborhood; I will report back with an update over the week-end.

Thanks to catalyst_delhi and sandeepmohan

This is the coolant temperature sensor not the thermostat and Thanks

Temp at 1/3 when the AC is on is perfect , mine does the same as well.

From the looks of your CTS ( coolant temp sensor) you seem to have serious electrical corrosion , Most probably you had acidic coolant ( old coolant). Change the coolant every 2 years

Last edited by Catalyst_delhi : 19th April 2013 at 22:12.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 23:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the coolant temperature sensor not the thermostat
Price seems to be high? And i guess we get a 2nd(cheap) brand as well. I guess the usual story: original only at Ford and 2nd variety at shops.

For diesel, i recall the 2nd variety costs Rs.650
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

It is good the problem has been sorted. The temperature readings you are observing now are the way it should be. It will take the hottest of summers, which is now, to be the best judge on how effective your cooling system is.

You seem to have a capable FNG too.
Old 24th April 2013, 06:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
It is good the problem has been sorted. The temperature readings you are observing now are the way it should be. It will take the hottest of summers, which is now, to be the best judge on how effective your cooling system is.
Oh, I am very glad that it got sorted out. I drove the car to work and beyond a bit, a total of about 25km, with one eye on the temp needle and one ear peeled out to listen to fan speed noises no problems on yesterday's ride.

Quote:
You seem to have a capable FNG too.
It seems like it. It is a small outfit close to home. Sometimes the FNG gives decent quality service, although, they may overcharge at times (as ramzsys mentioned in his post), but then the Ford dealers are not averse to quoting high prices for parts. For example, I need suspension work done on this car, dealer says replace all four shockers (agreed), but quotes Rs 3900/each for front, and 3200/each for rear and other parts (bushes, etc) to a total of 22750 for parts and 2250 for labor+taxes+etc. Compared to this, my FNG says - "oh, leave the car, I'll open it up and let you know, but mostly it will be around 15K".

Quote:
From the looks of your CTS ( coolant temp sensor) you seem to have serious electrical corrosion , Most probably you had acidic coolant ( old coolant). Change the coolant every 2 years
Hmm, that seems plausible. Though, I used to assume that Ford dealers, as part of the service, would drain the coolant out each time. Nevertheless, a helpful tip.
burnout_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 00:06   #59
BHPian

Guys,

Some 7~8 months back i too faced a similar issue of engine over heating issue with my Ikon 1.6... Here is the long story,

When i was riding back to home from office suddenly noticed there was a smoke coming out of engine bay. Immediately stopped the car and checked the bay.
To my horror almost the entire coolant was leaked and whatever left was boiling and leaking with smoke...

Called my trusted mechanic and given the car, explained the issue and went home. Next day went to workshop and asked the mechanic what was the issue.

He said there was no issue found, refilled the coolant and asked me to take it home. When i was on the way same story repeated.. Leak/smoke...

Went back to workshop and asked him to check everything properly.. In the afternoon i got a call from him saying issue with water pump and it has to be changed... i said ok...

Water pump changed & TD with mechanic done for about 4~5 kms, issue not repeated... I was happily returning home and guess what...Leak/smoke...

This time i got frustrated and told the mechanic, either he should fix the problem permanently or he has to refund the water pump cost... Left the car @ workshop and next day i went there.

He said issue seems to be with coolant cap ,he changed the same and he assured me the problem will not repeat again. I have done TD for more than 15~20 kms and the problem not appeared again.

Fast forward to present day... ever since that incident, i have noticed the high speed fan was always running for say 80% of the time when car was on the move. Due to busy schedule i could not get it checked.

Yesterday i went the workshop for regular service and told the mechanic about the high speed fan issue. He said he will get it checked, today when i was taking delivery he said the issue is fixed, problem was due to faulty temp sensor.

While returning home i noticed that temp gauge was raising very fast within 2~3 kms and the needle went to maximum. Checked the coolant level and whether fan was running or not. Everything was ok.

Called up the mechanic, since workshop was already closed,he said if coolant is not leaking and fan is running fine... i should not worried.

He assured me will get it checked by tomorrow...

Now guru's please suggest me what should i do.. i have had enough with this temp issue and not able to find a way out
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:12   #60
BHPian

Today morning went to workshop and given the car... Afternoon taken it back and temp gauge showing normal temp during TD... Mechanic said again he changed the temp sensor, now it should be ok...

Fingers crossed for evening ride back home...

Most Viewed