Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 throttle body has the IAC valve fixed to it. THe 1.2 ones have it seperate.

You could first try cleaning it with some decarbonizing sprays.

THe Throttle body is quite costly. It was close to around 10K a year back if i remember right. With the recent hike....well...it all about how lucky you are!!

Last edited by gemithomas : 6th November 2008 at 18:19.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The 1.6 throttle body has the IAC valve fixed to it. THe 1.2 ones have it seperate.

You could first try cleaning it with some decarbonizing sprays.

THe Throttle body is quite costly. It was close to around 10K a year back if i remember right. With the recent hike....well...it all about how lucky you are!!
Hi Gemi,

My mechanic has tried cleaning it today,that didnt help. He will swap the throttle bdy from another 1.6 today to confirm the problem and accordingly further action will be taken. Sigh!!!
Old 4th December 2008, 18:24   #18
BHPian

Issue resolved. Finally!!!

I got my car back yesterday, all the issues resolved. Took a short Test Drive yesterday. The car seems to be fine. Saved from the charges to change the Throttle Body.
Will post elaborate details on Sunday. It was quite frustrating to wait for so long to get the car fixed, but the patience has paid. Saved from some heavy charges for spares.
Till then bye.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:58   #19
BHPian

Bump!!! Radnam, some details please? I am facing a similar issue and in a quandary. Any help appreciated
Old 5th March 2009, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

his problem was solved:

Quote:
Sorry mate!! was damn busy, hence couldt not reply. Ya, all's good and my beast is rocking.

The issue is done and resolved long back. I had posted the details as well. But they dont seem to appear in my thread.

The issue was with one of the four cylinders. One of them was not holding the required pressure. My mechanic said all the cylinders must have a equal/ standard pressure, around 200(psi?) and one of them was holding just upto 150.

He did some boring and cylinder/ Head gasket change. Done it! CLeaned the Throttle Body and thats it.

No speeding above 60/70kph for next 1000km and Oil change after that.
Buddy the problem is solved, but trust me it took over 3 weeks to diagonise and the 4 days to fix it. Almost a month!!

Hope this helps.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:39   #21

Fiat Palio 1.6 engine constantly hunting for idle RPM

Fiat Palio 1.6 engine constantly hunting for idle RPM
Hi BHPians,

I have a 2007 Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport with almost 60K on the ODO.

Apart from upgrading the tyres to 195/60 bridgestone rubbers and changing to fully synthetic oil, I got the following mods done on my car:
1. Engine grooved by Mr.Somender Singh
2. Power Drive package from Red Rooster performance (includes new headers,FFE and BMC DIA cold air intake). This does not include the Fuel Pressure regulator as mentioned in the package on the RRP website, since they said that this might not be required for the Palio.
Both these mods were done when my car had approximately between 45K - 50K on the ODO.
Everything was hunky-dory in the beginning, nice low-end due to the grooving, superb sound due to the FFE and headers, improved mileage of around 2-3 Kmpl due to the overall changes.
From the past 2 months I have been having a serious problem. The car starts fine in the morning and runs fine for a few KM. Then all of a sudden, the RPMs start going haywire. From the normal idling RPM (900-1000), the RPM suddenly begins to drop to 0 RPM and the engine threatens to go off, and suddenly there is a shudder and the idle compensator kicks in and gets the RPM back to normal. This keeps happening in cycles and the RPM keeps constantly swinging from 1200-200-1200. I have noticed this happening irrespective of whether the AC is on or off and it is not on a cold engine too. Sometimes when standing (idling) in heavy traffic, the RPMs suddenly surge to around 2500 RPM (without any throttle input) and starts to oscillate between 2500 - 1500 RPM. The engine has shut-off a number of times, when this RPM oscillation starts, whenever I engage first gear and leave out the clutch slowly without throttle input.
The following are the remedial actions I tried, but in vain:
- Informed Somender Singh sir, he indicated that this might be due to a problem in the idle compensator. Got it checked from Fiat, no reported problem. - No solution too!!!
- Took it to Fiat service station and told them about this - They investigated and said it was a choked Lambda sensor and replaced it - No respite
- Took it to RRP and asked for adivse and/or remedy - They checked the headers and FFE, no leaks there or lack of back pressure. They took out the BMC DIA filter for examination and I have to admit, I hadn't gotten it cleaned for a while. They did the cleaning and recharging and fit it back and asked me to get the throttle body cleaned at the Fiat service center. - No respite
- Got the throttle body cleaned from Fiat serive center - Still no respite
Apart from the RPM hunting problem, I have noticed significant reduction in the low end torque (have to rev the engine real hard to get to 3 digits on the ODO). Also there is a significant reduction in the SWEET MUSIC (exhaust note has become muffled).
I am at a loss on what to do next. Can the GURUs and Palio owners please help?
Old 24th April 2012, 18:21   #22
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio 1.6 engine constantly hunting for idle RPM

Did you get the injectors checked, whether they are choked or not.
I have faced a somewhat similar issue where the acceleration was getting stuck at 2.5k rpm apart from idle not being constant. Cleaning of injectors helped in solving the issue.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:49   #23
BHPian

Get Injectors, MAF/ MAP sensor cleaned. Also get the idle air controller solenoid cleaned. Do check the intake manifold for excessive carbon deposits & get that cleaned as well. That ought to get you smiling again! Did you fill bad fuel anywhere? That could also be the culprit!

Last edited by 1self : 24th April 2012 at 18:55.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar problem on my Palio 1.2 and the culprit was the accelerator cable. It had worn out.
Old 24th April 2012, 19:16   #25
BHPian

It seems to be faulty crank position sensor which is located under driver wheel side. It is notorious in giving up when the engine gets heated up. Replace and let us know the outcome.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
It seems to be faulty crank position sensor which is located under driver wheel side. It is notorious in giving up when the engine gets heated up. Replace and let us know the outcome.
Crank sensor a.k.a TDC sensor. Cause of all things evil to RPM and shuddering and shutting off. 800 rs odd if I remember correctly.
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks