Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 14:32   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
The noise has again started, what to do now?
Swap the left and right brake pads.
Old 7th November 2008, 14:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Swap the left and right brake pads.
How will that help? Any technical reason?
Old 7th November 2008, 15:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How will that help? Any technical reason?
The wear pattern when you swap them will be different. It's normal practice in workshops to swap the left and right pads when such a sound comes.

More often than not the sound goes away if it's due to a small particle in the brake pads.

An alternate is to request for a new set of pads under warranty.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The wear pattern when you swap them will be different. It's normal practice in workshops to swap the left and right pads when such a sound comes.
True. But please correct me if i am wrong:- in a brand new car, there won't be such significant wear (should be hardly 2% IMO). Then how will it help?
Old 7th November 2008, 16:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
True. But please correct me if i am wrong:- in a brand new car, there won't be such significant wear (should be hardly 2% IMO). Then how will it help?
Not wear but wear pattern. So when put on one side it rubs one way and when swapped it will rub the other way. If theres a particle in the pads causing the sound it will get worn out.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not wear but wear pattern. So when put on one side it rubs one way and when swapped it will rub the other way. If theres a particle in the pads causing the sound it will get worn out.
Hmm... sounds alright. Ym-enjn let us know what happens next.

BTW: Why is everyone concentrating on the pads only. Couldn't there be a manufacturing defect in the discs?
Old 7th November 2008, 16:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturing defect in the disc will not cause that kind of sound.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:29   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Manufacturing defect in the disc will not cause that kind of sound.
why not? if everyone is saying that a stone or something is between the pad and disc or rust on the pad which causes the noise, then even a small elevation on the disc should theoretically make the noise.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

A small elevation would mean constant sound and it would have been there from day one which is not the case with this car. Also a small elevation on the disc would have made a similar but depressed mark on the pad and there would be no sound.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
A small elevation would mean constant sound and it would have been there from day one which is not the case with this car. Also a small elevation on the disc would have made a similar but depressed mark on the pad and there would be no sound.
Correct. You're right. My bad.

Let's see what his final cure turns out to be...
Old 7th November 2008, 16:43   #26
Team-BHP Support

Not only that, a small elevation on the rotors would mean that the car would shudder under braking. When the elevation passes under the pads you can feel the shudder from the pedal.

Had a set of rotors replaced FOC the very next day on my Lancer when I got the rotors changed and the new set was shuddering like crazy. Found that one rotor had a fraction of a mm elevation on end causing the shuddering.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

I completely forgot about that point. Right said Vid.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Then again with two people the noise was not there, so i asked for one person to get down and it helped and the noise was there.
This is strange. Is the recurance in similar fashion as above.
Old 7th November 2008, 18:11   #29

Simply ask Toyota to replace the parts (whatever it is, brake pad or clips or disk, you really don;t care). Let me explain to you why I said so....

I brought an Altis on Oct 17th. On Oct 18th evening, I first got the same screeching sound on braking. Slowly it became really loud and I started feeling embarrassed. On Oct 19th morning, I took the vehicle to the service centre(though Sunday, fortunately the service station was open for half a day). They then did some cleanup and lubrication job. The sound was gone. Next day morning again the sound came back. Then I told the Sales guy that I want to talk to someone from Toyota. He then gave me the contact number of their Sales in-charge from Toyota (not the dealer). I took off on him saying that how can a new vehicle be like this? I told them that I want him to replace whatever part is faulty. Also, from Toyota Customer Relations, they called me up and took a detailed note of the problem. I again told them that I want the faulty parts to be replaced. They agreed to look into the matter. I also threatened that I will go to consumer court if the problem is not resolved immediately. Then the dealer guy again took the vehicle for repair and returned it to me after the servicing (without any replacement) and claiming that the problem won't reappear. I threatened the service in-charge that if it reappears then I will take it up with the consumer court. After this round of servicing, the problem did not repeat for a few days. In the meantime, Toyota customer relation called me up and said that they will be replaing the faulty parts in a few days. To my surprise, the problem again resurfaced within 2 days and by that time already the parts arrived at the dealer. The dealer then took the vehicle and replaced the parts (I assume it is the brake pads). It is now about 10 days and there is no more sound. In the meantime, I also took the vehicle on a long distance trip (about 400kms in total) and there was no sound.

Hence, I guess that there may be some problem with the current batch of brake pads and the same needs replacement.
Old 7th November 2008, 18:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

On the other forum as I mentioned earlier, the guy got his car checked and company replaced 3 of his shockers which they said was the reason behind this noise and also told that there is some issue with shockers of 2000 cars. Is that possible?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks