Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 17:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1980 View Post
They gave me Half engine cost of Rs. 12,000 ..... very cost effective compared to other MASS i spoke to. Full engine they gave quote around Rs. 30,000 - 35,000.

They also mentioned that, Half or Full overhaul can only be decided after opening the engine.
, Sounds good to me.

Quote:
Since its operated & owned by Maruti only, i have now decided to take my car to Naraina. Booked crane for thursday... towing car to the service station.
Quote:
@Shashank.A : It looks you get your Car serviced regularly at MSSD Naraina. How has been ur experience ?
Unfortunately, I am a firm believer in roadside Mechanics , and like to get the work done infront of my eyes. Thanks to Team-Bhp, it saves me a lot of money, and helps me ensure I know exactly what is going where.

Anyhow, I took my car to them last year for service advice, and I found them very straight forward, unlike some sweet talking agents as MASS. They give you a very clear picture, you might not like it, but they are usually right. And it was one of their advisers who advised me against A.S.S for my 11 year old car, and asked to me get it fixed at local mechanics only.
Old 11th November 2008, 23:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Also, ppl say after overhauling Car pickup goes down. Is it true ?

@SirAlec : Here's the answer to diff between Half or Full Engine overhaul. Dont know if it is true or not...but i got this one from a MASS workshop manager.

Half engine overhaul - includes Head , Block

Full engine overhaul - includes Head, Block, Gearbox

Will post more when i get overhauling done, the final cost..and my experience.

Thanks a millions again to all.

hitman

"Also, ppl say after overhauling Car pickup goes down. Is it true ?"
Actually if you do the head job properly the resultant engine will be much better than that build by maruti.

There is a lot of confusion over here. Engine job doesn't include GB.

Please go through my thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...project-2.html
It cannot be more comprehensive than this. total cost even if you buy the new block (i redid mine) from maruti will not exceed more than Rs.18000/- with 95% new parts plus labour
I will be in delhi in first week of december. if you can wait another 25days, will be happy to help.

Why are you people not getting a formal quote, parts by parts (check my bill). So you have a good idea what you are actually paying for.

35k is an overkill for an 800 engine. I nearly bought a 2007 total loss alto for 38k. And i was recuperating Rs.8k from kabadi for the junk, after i remove the things i nead, like engine, GB ecu, wiring, AC etc.

Last edited by SirAlec : 11th November 2008 at 23:14.
Old 12th November 2008, 21:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
"Also, ppl say after overhauling Car pickup goes down. Is it true ?"
Actually if you do the head job properly the resultant engine will be much better than that build by maruti.

There is a lot of confusion over here. Engine job doesn't include GB.

Please go through my thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...project-2.html
It cannot be more comprehensive than this. total cost even if you buy the new block (i redid mine) from maruti will not exceed more than Rs.18000/- with 95% new parts plus labour
I will be in delhi in first week of december. if you can wait another 25days, will be happy to help.

Why are you people not getting a formal quote, parts by parts (check my bill). So you have a good idea what you are actually paying for.

35k is an overkill for an 800 engine. I nearly bought a 2007 total loss alto for 38k. And i was recuperating Rs.8k from kabadi for the junk, after i remove the things i nead, like engine, GB ecu, wiring, AC etc.

Hi SirAlec,

I really appreciate ur help. Would have definitely took ur expert help, but i already paid advance to the Crane office. Will be coming tommorow early morning. Also, 25 days will be long for me.... the car is idle at one place for many many days. Battery is down now... plus one tyre punctured . Its better i fix the problems ASAP. But thanks again...for ur personal help, you just offering help is enough for me.

Also, you are correct... i should ask part by part quote plus labour cost. I will do the same. They will be able to assess the actual work & cost only after opening the engine. Once i get clear picture of the work that needs to be done... will first ask for part by part quote. And compare it with ur bill.

Will post more in coming days.

Thanks again,
hitman
Old 13th November 2008, 00:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Glad! i could be of any help.

Please note that I changed many parts and did an extensive overhaul with details given to every parts possible even as minute as 'O' ring at oil strainer.
Old 25th April 2009, 04:26   #20
BHPian

M800 model 1987

Hey all. I have a question.

let me first state that i don't live in India, but i do come down about once or twice a year for two weeks at a stretch max.

I have been gifted a M800 by my uncle whose last trip to india was about 10 yrs ago. I have just transferred all the paper work in my name.

Now the car does start. but it does off itself quite often at times and i don't think the mileage it gives me is any good.

I am planning on going back to goa for xmas, and i would like the car to be running. my dad does drive the car around in the city but he has said it does stop at any given time. it does start again but sort of like in its own time.

the maruti service place my dad took it to said theres no problem, yet it keeps doing this.

i have a few questions

1) should i overhaul the engine?
2) should i order a new or reconditioned engine from maruti?
3) is there any other method of increasing fuel mileage? i do not want LPG my dad was telling me about a hydrogen and water base mixture to increase fuel mileage.

anyway, i do not want to buy a new or used car. i just wish to fix this one somehow so that i can use it when im down.

any thoughts ? on how i can go about this?
Old 25th April 2009, 16:45   #21
BHPian

How many kms on the odo? Since it is an '87 model, at least an overhaul seems to be due. Also, how has it been maintained over the years?
Seems to be a prime candidate for a complete restoration job if you are up to it.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:27   #22
BHPian

I have a May 1997 Type 2 Carb Model Maruti 800 With a retrofitted Sanden AC in 2005, Done lot of work in past 2 years

City 11-12 KPL without AC
City 10 KPL With AC
Highway 16 KPL Without Ac
Highway With AC 14-14 KPL

City i mentioned is Bangalore

Is this the expected mileage for carb maruti or do i have to check something that help me to increase the mileage.

I normally drive without Reving the engine much

Maintenance Log Attaching
Attached Files
File Type: xls 800LogSheet.xls (54.5 KB, 818 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks