Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 14:10   #1

Engine Overhaul - Maruti 800 ( 1999 - Carb )

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum. Need help & suggestion on my Old Maruti 800 ( 1999 - Carb ) engine overhaul.

I have 2 cars, one is Maruti 800 ( 1999 - Carb ) ... which i purchased on June 2003 through Maruti True Value. Another is SWIFT LXI ... purchased 10 months back.

Since i purchased the new car, i almost neglected the old 800. Servicing was not done on time. Result of that, few days back my Old 800 car suddenly stopped on the way. Showed the Car to mechanic, and on checking he found there was little or no engine oil left. May be just a few drops...as he checked that engine oil check stick.

Mechanic told me that your Engine is dead/ jammed....as it was driven without or little engine oil. And now it needs overhauling.

I checked with 2 MASS.... Rohan Motors Noida , and DD motors Delhi.

Rohan motors told me that the engine overhauling cost will be around 17,000 for half , and 25,000 for Full engine overhauling.

DD motors says.... 18,000 - 25,000 for Half overhauling. They said something like assembly line change. I dont know what that means.

So, i need help/suggestion from you guys ... here's my Qs:

1) What does Half & Full engine overhaul technically means ?

2) How much i should pay for Half or Full overhauling ?

3) After overhauling will it be like a new one ? If not exactly...but close to that ?

4) Do MASS provide any type of Warranty something on overhauling ?

5) Is there any other way i can get the Jammed engine back. Or overhauling is the only option left for me ?

I use my old car rarely. Was actually planning to sell it off...and this all happened . So i generally dont want to invest much money on this.

Your valuable feedbacks & suggestions are welcome...

Thanks,
Bob
Old 7th November 2008, 15:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hitman, you are in luck.

Check this post out by SirAlec http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html

A 10 year old vehicle for which the engine was rebuild. He has given a detailed report and the cost also.

This one will certainly help you in your quest!
Old 7th November 2008, 16:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hitman, you are in luck.

Check this post out by SirAlec http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html

A 10 year old vehicle for which the engine was rebuild. He has given a detailed report and the cost also.

This one will certainly help you in your quest!
Hi HappyWheels,

Thanks for your reply. I just checked the link. SirAlec looks to be an expert. I enjoyed the pics added by him, very helpful. But since i dont know much about car except driving I dont think the link answers my Qs.

Waiting for more replies.

Hitman
Old 7th November 2008, 17:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1980 View Post

3) After overhauling will it be like a new one ? If not exactly...but close to that ?

5) Is there any other way i can get the Jammed engine back. Or overhauling is the only option left for me ?
disclaimer: i'm not a big expert on this. i just have some basic knowledge. so hopefully someone more experienced will chime in and elaborate.

1) half engine usually refers to the lower half of the engine. the cylinder with the pistons and rings etc. full engine would probably refer to the head that fits over the lower half + the lower half itself. it is where the fuel inlet valves sit amongst other things.

2) no idea. it's usually expensive but i'm not sure how much for an M800. if it helps tata engines are in the range of around 30k min. so you can guesstimate that the M800 figures mentioned are somewhere in the range.

3) yes it will be like a new engine assuming that the workshop is competent. if possible ask around on this forum for non company workshops because i don't trust any A.S.S in general.

4) most companies do. i guess MASS will as well.

5) not sure. it may be a remote possibilty but i don't know a whole lot about M800s.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

@hitman1980: the F10D (1.1L alto engine) half engine costs about 24K. i guess the F8B (800c) half engine should cost less than 24K.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:58   #6
BHPian

Half engine for 800 was 10-12k last time i saw(round 18 months back)
Old 7th November 2008, 18:00   #7
BHPian

HI Hitman

Just simply get it done full engine from any good workshop, will only cost you half the money when comapred to MASS.Maruti 800 spares are the cheapest spares avaliable in the country, on a whole should not exceed that 15k from any good workshop.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I use my old car rarely. Was actually planning to sell it off...and this all happened . So i generally dont want to invest much money on this.

Your valuable feedbacks & suggestions are welcome...

Thanks,
Bob
Dude! i am not an expert, a simple computer geek when fade up with chairwork likes to get his hand dirty. Would like to help if you may.

I guess you went through my post. Last two images is of bill. I guess thats preety comprehensive.

IF a MASS guy has given a quote, ask for a detail quote on what things he is changing. and do a comparo with my bill which is from a genuine MASS here minus the labour. standard labour at maruti is rs.2500 for engine overhaul. Your rates may be cheaper, thats the best thing about delhi.

Strange thing is what he meant by half and full engine??

Get a detail quote and post here.

thanks
Old 10th November 2008, 10:39   #9
BHPian

A local workshop will do the half engine for around Rs.10K, So Rs.15-17k in authorized one, doesn't seem to be bad.

But as others have said, get the details from MASS first.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:19   #10
BHPian

I just did my M800 engine overhaul jsut about 15days back. Cars piston rings had wore out. I changed piston rings did porting and polishing also so that it will become a bit free to drive in traffic.
Costing:
Engine overhaul : Rs. 6500/- (this include Porting & Polishing Rs. 500/-)
Front Suspension overhaul: 1500/-.
Now i am driving the car and work is good but still have to wait for a month to do all the proper settings as they are still new.
but overall i am satisfied.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:21   #11

Hi,

Thanks for ur valuable inputs : ( HappyWheels, silver_shadow, badboyscad, peugeot96, amitpunjani, SirAlec, Shashank.A, rakowli )

I really appreciate you all taking time and replying to my Qs.

Well, now the scene is that ... i am planning to chose between 3-4 MASS which spoke to, for engine overhauling. I already tried to find a suitable and reliable local mechanic or workshop. But no success. Also, not an expert ..so can't do this myself like SirAlec. I plan to get training under him to know Cars inside & outside.

Here's the quotes from different MASS i spoke to in last 2-3 days:

1) D.D Motors ( Mayapuri ) :

Quote - 18,000 to 25,000

They will do half engine. Change assembly line, pistons, head, block... etc.

2) D.D Motors ( Wazirpur ) :

Quote - 30,000 to 32,000

Again half engine. Head & block overhaul

3) MSM - Okhla

Quote - 25,000 approx

Half engine - Head & Block. If cranks need to be replaced...additional 1500 - 2000 Rs.

4) Rohan Motors ( Noida )

Quote - 17,000 to 25,000

Again Half engine - Head / Block

5) MotorCraft ( Noida )

I read some good reviews abt them. So i called them today. They have 2 branches in Noida. Sec- 8 , Sec - 63

I called both branches. And here the Quotes :

Sec 8 - 25,000 to 27,000

Sec 63 - 32,000 to 35,000

As you all see for the same job, same co.. charges different amount at different branches

* I am planning to go D.D motors Mayapuri or MSM - Okhla. Coz other 3 MASS seems to be charging more in comparison, and also they dont have good feedbacks as i have searched the forum.

PS: None of the MASS is giving any sort of warranty on overhauling. Is this common ? This is a concern for me. After spending 25,000..if car doesnt work properly and these MASS dont help me, waste of money

Also, ppl say after overhauling Car pickup goes down. Is it true ?

@SirAlec : Here's the answer to diff between Half or Full Engine overhaul. Dont know if it is true or not...but i got this one from a MASS workshop manager.

Half engine overhaul - includes Head , Block

Full engine overhaul - includes Head, Block, Gearbox

Will post more when i get overhauling done, the final cost..and my experience.

Thanks a millions again to all.

hitman
Old 10th November 2008, 23:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

answer to diff between Half or Full Engine overhaul. Dont know if it is true or not...but i got this one from a MASS workshop manager.

Half engine overhaul - includes Head , Block

Full engine overhaul - includes Head, Block, Gearbox

Will post more when i get overhauling done, the final cost..and my experience.

Thanks a millions again to all.

hitman
Half Engine means not overhauling the head and cylinder block. The complete set that includes cylinder block, piston, head which again includes cam, valves etc, etc are brand new. just changing these will make your engine brand new. This job doesn't involve any lathe work.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:31   #13
BHPian

Hitman, please remember the quotes are just estimates. It would depend on the service assistants intelligence, but the actual cost would be different.

Why don't you try the Maruti Owned service center at Naraina.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Hitman, please remember the quotes are just estimates. It would depend on the service assistants intelligence, but the actual cost would be different.

Why don't you try the Maruti Owned service center at Naraina.
Hi Shashank,

Thanks for the info. As suggested by you, i called up Maruti Sales & Service Naraina just now. They gave me Half engine cost of Rs. 12,000 ..... very cost effective compared to other MASS i spoke to. Full engine they gave quote around Rs. 30,000 - 35,000.

They also mentioned that, Half or Full overhaul can only be decided after opening the engine.

Since its operated & owned by Maruti only, i have now decided to take my car to Naraina. Booked crane for thursday... towing car to the service station.

Hope everything works out well. Will post my feedback once the car is up and running.

@Shashank.A : It looks you get your Car serviced regularly at MSSD Naraina. How has been ur experience ?

Thanks everyone

Hitman
Old 11th November 2008, 16:50   #15
BHPian

best of luck and do keep us posted (with pics if possible)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks