Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 06:26   #1
BHPian

Advise on Tata Safari Dicor clutch/No pick-up problem

I needed some advise from team-bhp forum(somewhere i feel team-bhp members are more capable than Tata engineers).
Tata-safari Dicor 3.0 Ltr. LX 4X4 2005.
Kms Done=14000 Km
My problem is after gear shift I press the accelerator hard but my safari will move slowly ,then after some time it will catch the speed.This happens occasionally.So please help me what could be the issue..Also clutch is too hard for a guy like me who regularly go for leg presses in gym..
I usually remain out so drove my safari only 14000 kms in last three years but i make sure that someone at home starts my engine every 20 days or so for 1 hour...
Also tell me some nice Tata workshop in NCR..

Thanks everyone..
Old 10th November 2008, 09:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Can you hear some noise also while you are trying to pickup like low pitch grinding noise, does the engine speed rise rapidly on acceleration, while the vehicle gradually increases in speed, these are sign of severe clutch slippage. Pressure plates along with the clutch need to be changed, if true.

Hard clutch could be due to air in the lines, since its hydraulic or due to the pressure plates too.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
My problem is after gear shift I press the accelerator hard but my safari will move slowly ,then after some time it will catch the speed.This happens occasionally.
Whenever this problem does occur, does it happen only when you start the car first time in that day?
I had a similar problem only on some mornings when i started my 3.0. If its the same, i will advice further...
Old 10th November 2008, 10:16   #4
BHPian

I think the reason for your vehicle not picking up the speed is that the clutch is not engaging properly, clutch slipage. And hardness of the clutch might be because of the clutch cable also. My suggestion would be to check the the clutch assembly thoroughly.

For understanding of the mechanism check this website HowStuffWorks "How Clutches Work"

Regards
Old 10th November 2008, 11:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

4x4? Go to Autolinks Gurgaon. Suman has heaped praises on them, and they are very competent.
Your problem seems to be a clutch related issue, so should not be very difficult to diagnose
Old 10th November 2008, 12:00   #6
BANNED

Please don't take offense - was the handbrake released completely when you faced this problem?
Old 10th November 2008, 15:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Clutch is gone but not completely.

Get the Clutch assembly changed,thats it.

Faced same 1 yr ago.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hope you have the extended warranty?
Old 12th November 2008, 09:54   #9
BHPian

My post was deleted due to repost by mistake,sorry for inconveniance
I am posting it again with all replies & with all care..

I needed some advise from team-bhp forum(somewhere i feel team-bhp members are more capable than Tata engineers).
Tata-safari Dicor 3.0 Ltr. LX 4X4 2005.
Kms Done=14000 Km
My problem is after gear shift I press the accelerator hard but my safari will move slowly ,then after some time it will catch the speed.This happens occasionally.So please help me what could be the issue..
I usually remain out so drove my safari only 14000 kms in last three years but i make sure that someone at home starts my engine every 20 days or so for 1 hour...
Most of the NCR Tata workshops are pathetic.

Replies::
dadu
Can you hear some noise also while you are trying to pickup like low pitch grinding noise, does the engine speed rise rapidly on acceleration, while the vehicle gradually increases in speed, these are sign of severe clutch slippage. Pressure plates along with the clutch need to be changed, if true.

Hard clutch could be due to air in the lines, since its hydraulic or due to the pressure plates too.

Tejas:
Whenever this problem does occur, does it happen only when you start the car first time in that day?
I had a similar problem only on some mornings when i started my 3.0. If its the same, i will advice further...

me_sid:
I think the reason for your vehicle not picking up the speed is that the clutch is not engaging properly, clutch slipage. And hardness of the clutch might be because of the clutch cable also. My suggestion would be to check the the clutch assembly thoroughly.

For understanding of the mechanism check this website HowStuffWorks "How Clutches Work"

Regards

tsk_1979:
4x4? Go to Autolinks Gurgaon. Suman has heaped praises on them, and they are very competent.
Your problem seems to be a clutch related issue, so should not be very difficult to diagnose

hrag:
Please don't take offense - was the handbrake released completely when you faced this problem?

simply_sunny001:
Clutch is gone but not completely.

Get the Clutch assembly changed,thats it.

Faced same 1 yr ago.

suman:
I hope you have the extended warranty?
Old 12th November 2008, 10:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Rohit,
You have just quoted all the posts, but where are your replies?
Old 12th November 2008, 10:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue with my 3.0 recently. I thoughtt that it was due to clutch slippage, but the problem was quite weird really.

there was a leak in a gear box seal that was dripping oil onto the clutch. that was causing the clutch to malfunction, ep in 3rd gear.

since the truck is under warranty, my TASC just replaced the entire clutch assembly

if your truck is still under warranty, insist on a clutch replacement.
Old 12th November 2008, 19:09   #12
BHPian

Yesterday I went to A-one motors,mathura road ,Delhi.
Some reputed mechanics inspected car due to my contacts with senior manager.
He inspected the car & ask for a test drive..He told me there are no issues with the car/clutch.Clutches malfunction have other symptoms attached.They checked all oil levels etc... but everythings were fine..I brought back the car..
This problem doesnt arise in 1st/2nd gear or I don't feel it....
Suggest me.....
I dont have any warranty now & amount for clutch assembly again is 16-17 K,i guess..
Regards..
Old 13th November 2008, 12:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
He inspected the car & ask for a test drive..He told me there are no issues with the car/clutch.
Suggest me.....
I dont have any warranty now & amount for clutch assembly again is 16-17 K,i guess..
Regards..
that mechanic is not competent,your clutch has gone but not completely,i repeat again.

You want to see it for yourself,then do this.

Go to a highway kind of stretch,take the beast to 5th gear
brake and downshift to 4th and press the pedal hard
and the same symptoms that you have mentioned earlier will be seen.
Ok

and you can live with it for some more time if you wish.

And whole clutch assembly change at TASS is around 8-9k.

Outside it should be 6k

i hope it helps
Old 13th November 2008, 13:02   #14
BANNED

When you are facing this problem , try depressing the clutch . If it takes less of effort to depress the clutch then the problem is with the clutch cover assembly . It is not getting released or there is a problem with the clutch release ocassionaly . This could happen all the more as you do not use the car very much . I do not think the clutch is worn out . Servicing the cover assembly will definitely help .
Old 13th November 2008, 13:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar problem although the extend was a very less.
The service centre said that there was no issue with the clutch.but i insisted that the clutch be opened.Even if it would be changed.
They opened it and found that oil had seeped into it.Clutch was replaced under warranty as well as the faulty gasket.Wasn't charged a single penny.

Also when i talked to an old mechanic he stated that the clutch of the dicor 3.0 doesn't last beyond 15-25k kms.anything more and you're the best driver in the whole world.lol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks