Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 23:43   #1
BHPian

IKON HEADLAMPS! Axed my own feet!

Hi guys,

Well, I had broken my headlamp because of the car cleaner's stupidity. Now here i was in a spares store searching for a headlamp for my Ikon. I was told that a Lumex headlamp (set of 2) would cost me 3400 and same imported from China would cost 2800. I saw both of them, their being identical purchased the Chinese one.

Now, the fitting was perfect, quality terrific....but to my surprise 90/100 bulbs are not providing sufficient lighting even in city, leave highway alone. I bought new philips bulbs with the headlamps too (so gave away old 55/60 something bulbs to my cousin for his Ikon, so can't test the lights again.). Guys, is this because of pathetic rather miserable illumination from Chinese lamps or did I buy some low power 90/100 bulbs of Philips. I paid 180 bucks for this bulb.

Can anyone in that case suggest me the best possible 90/100 bulb set (got the cutout installed for this upgradation), or have I ruined it all because of the Chinese lights. In Lumex I had 55/60 bulbs which were giving better lighting then what is now (is it that I had some better quality bulbs before...no clue). Totally clueless guys, please help. My highway trips are very unsafe with these lights.

Thank you all! - Gaurav
Old 15th November 2008, 00:42   #2
BHPian

My first suspicion is on the Chinese HL assembly. Looks may be same, but the reflector may not be of the same quality. If you have the earlier broken unit, try checking this out.
Bulb part – can’t really comment from your description. Best it to buy from a reliable source.
Old 15th November 2008, 00:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav

I know it is easy to lecture after the event, but was Rs.600 really worth taking that chance? If its chinese it should be half-price to take a chance with it - if the difference is not that much, it really isnt worth trying.
Old 15th November 2008, 01:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

did you also get relays and upgrade your wiring or just put in 100/90w bulbs?
Old 15th November 2008, 08:21   #5
BHPian

Your lights are not focussed properly. Please get that checked. There is a thread on this forum regarding that, go thru it.
Old 15th November 2008, 09:44   #6
BHPian

When you say Chinese, do you mean Lumax China or is there any brand name of that ?

1. Check the focus of lights.
2. Ensure that holders are proper and wiring is done properly with relay and all.
3. Change the bulbs, I am using Philips Rally 90/100, and they are simply lovely. Cost around Rs.300 for a pair.

If all this does not work, then you have axed your own feet
Old 15th November 2008, 11:53   #7
BHPian

No issues man. just try and get your headlight focussed properly , you could do it at home itself al you need is the tool. also ikon has 3 ways of fitting the bulb. three positions in which you could clamp on the bulb .play around with that a little ,set the beam to what you need and am sure you will feel much better . please do buy better quality bulb, a 90/100 bulb should cost you anywhere between 300-500 bucks.trust me its worth it .
Old 15th November 2008, 12:00   #8
BHPian

If you have not installed the relay, then please do it ASAP or your Battery is going to drain out much faster and after the installation of the relay if the lighting does not improve then buddy you have been duped.... if it is chines then most probably it is the reflectors in the head lamp which are at fault...
Old 15th November 2008, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav, I ditto what Santosh said... In hindi here they say - "mehenga ek baar roye aur sastaa baar-baar roye"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Gaurav

I know it is easy to lecture after the event, but was Rs.600 really worth taking that chance? If its chinese it should be half-price to take a chance with it - if the difference is not that much, it really isnt worth trying.
Old 15th November 2008, 13:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Gaurav, I ditto what Santosh said... In hindi here they say - "mehenga ek baar roye aur sastaa baar-baar roye"
Mehenga Roye Ek baar, Sasta Roye sau Baar
Old 15th November 2008, 17:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ooops..sorry for the misquote. Thanks Shashank for posting the correct saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Mehenga Roye Ek baar, Sasta Roye sau Baar
Old 15th November 2008, 21:34   #12
BHPian

Headlamp Relay

Hey Gaurav, as Akshay rightly pointed out, did you get the 90/100 lamps fitted with a Relay or did you just replace it with the Stock Bulbs.
Old 16th November 2008, 02:35   #13
BHPian

Guys, the relay was fitted from before and the lights are well focused. Its just that the lights are not even half sufficient. Are there different types of 90/100 wattage bulbs....can someone suggest me the best one. Only the best will do I suppose......and yes, i saw everything else in the Chinese lights but u see difficult to check the reflection in the shop

And since both were same, I immediately bought!
Old 16th November 2008, 06:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Gaurav - In all probability, the reflectors of the Chinese lights are not good at focussing the beam. Don't think the bulb is the issue, but you can confirm by switching bulbs from a friends car.
Old 16th November 2008, 08:31   #15
BHPian

Keep off chinese parts

As far as possible do not use chinese parts for critical applications in any product including toys for children.

As far as computers is concerned try gettting a Taiwanese made product and use Chinese stuff as a last resort. Easier said than done as Chinese products have flooded the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks