Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 01:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Reusing the same filter for years at a stretch is certainly not a good idea, but I dont think there should be any harm in blowing the dust out once 2 months or so.(Provided care is taken to not to damage the filter).

Regards,
Mohit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I change air filters in my Viva CRDi every 5000 kms. But at every 2500 kms, I normally follow this procedure...

Take out OE filter...

"Thoko" it gently against a wall or something, for a minute or so making the loose dust falls out...

Reinstall....

Is it a good way/bad way?
Guys,
Paper media filter elements are designed to trap particulates in the filter media. This is not supposed to be a reversable process. Compressed air is the most likely way to cause damage to the filter media. Light tapping may not damage the filter, but at the same time will not really remove that much dirt out of the filter.

If you really want to reduce expenditure on air filters, increase the time between replacement, or replace when it starts to literally clog the air flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
I agree with you. A better option will be to get a K & N stock replacement. Though priced a bit higher, but its worth it. Cleaning required only after 20-30k kms and never need a replacement. (Unless you drive your vehicle for more than 1 million Miles - thats 10 lakh Miles!!!)
A K&N is not a better option for providing clean air for your car engine. K&N filters have less filtration efficiency and allow more dirt into your engine. If your goal is to increase performance and can accept more contamination, then go for the K&N.

What would probably work better is to use a K&N as a pre-filter. This would actually provide your engine with cleaner air and extend the life of the stock filter.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
What would probably work better is to use a K&N as a pre-filter. This would actually provide your engine with cleaner air and extend the life of the stock filter.
Hi
can you explain how we can use the K&N as a pre-filter.

thanks
Old 28th November 2008, 09:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

I found dusting against a wall the best way to clean a filter. even using presurized air didnt do much compared to it. usually do it once in 3 months and get it replaced during the 6 monthly service.

ot : tata seem to have a wide variety of colours for their filters, first it was bright yellow and now i have a bright orange one
Old 28th November 2008, 09:58   #34
BHPian

Anyone knows the OEM brand for tata air filters ?

I recently bought a purolator brand filter for my Indica (2004 NA DLS). It costs just 140 Rs and is a good alternative to cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I found dusting against a wall the best way to clean a filter. even using presurized air didnt do much compared to it. usually do it once in 3 months and get it replaced during the 6 monthly service.

ot : tata seem to have a wide variety of colours for their filters, first it was bright yellow and now i have a bright orange one
Old 28th November 2008, 10:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
bottle : I found dusting against a wall the best way to clean a filter. even using presurized air didnt do much compared to it.
Actually, that's the way they do it at the A.S.S. It is not so obvious with panel type filters, but it is hard to miss with the likes of the cylindrical filters that are found on the Sumo & older Safari's. The filter is taken out of the casing and then used to play bounce-ball.... er, bounce-the-filter ! Check any old filter from these vehicles, and you can see the dents & other impact effects.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:13   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Slightly OT, I tried a lot to get the K&N cleaning kit in Bangalore 2 months ago. Tried in JC Road and Hot tracks. Everyone said that it was not available in the market anymore. Finally I had to settle down to Green cotton filter kit. Now my K&N looks ugly with green streaks on violet background.
Did any Bangalore guys buy the K&N cleaning kit recently? let me know the place and cost.

The Green Cotton cleaning solution is a mild soap solution. I used to make soap solution out of bathing soap and dip the Green cotton/K&N air filters in it for about 20 minutes, occasionally sloshing the filter in the solution every 5 minutes. At the end of this 20 minute ritual i can see debris and oil in the soap solution. The filter is then taken out and washed from inside under a slow steady stream of tap water. The end result is as good as using the Filter kit cleaning solution. The filter is oiled with K&N / Green oil after this procedure.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:35   #37
BHPian

Any filter need frequent cleaning here

@zero - Don't fall in the assumption that K&N needed to be cleaned only every 25-30 K kms. At some part of the world where the air is more pure and dust free it is OK. But in our conditions it is better to clean more frequently. I use K&N cone in my Bullet 500 and Green Wind CAI kit in my Swift. I used to clean them both 5K intervals and can see a lot of dust/oil/foriegn particles. If you love your engine, clean it more frequently, atleast 5-7K kms.
redfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2008, 10:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

I pour 4-5 drops of Pril in water and clean the Green filter of my Scorpio. Some stuck dead insects etc., are removed with a toothbrush. Then it is washed with fresh water under tap. After the filter is dry, I apply a thin film of Singer machine oil..

BTW, when I checked about this with Turboindia, he said that the Green filter should be cleaned with the cleaning kit only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The Green Cotton cleaning solution is a mild soap solution. I used to make soap solution out of bathing soap and dip the Green cotton/K&N air filters in it for about 20 minutes, occasionally sloshing the filter in the solution every 5 minutes. At the end of this 20 minute ritual i can see debris and oil in the soap solution. The filter is then taken out and washed from inside under a slow steady stream of tap water. The end result is as good as using the Filter kit cleaning solution. The filter is oiled with K&N / Green oil after this procedure.

Last edited by gd1418 : 28th November 2008 at 10:47.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi
can you explain how we can use the K&N as a pre-filter.

thanks
even I'm curious
Old 28th November 2008, 11:24   #40
BHPian

I usually wash my RX's foam filter with a ariel or surf soak the filter for nice 40 to 50 mins in the solution, and then wash again in plain water and dry it in the sun for sometime, it has worked wonders for me.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Actually, that's the way they do it at the A.S.S. It is not so obvious with panel type filters, but it is hard to miss with the likes of the cylindrical filters that are found on the Sumo & older Safari's. The filter is taken out of the casing and then used to play bounce-ball.... er, bounce-the-filter ! Check any old filter from these vehicles, and you can see the dents & other impact effects.
thats where i learnt it from anyways since they replace it at each service it seems to survive the occasional beating
Old 29th November 2008, 20:04   #42
BHPian

I would agree with the replacement part for paper element type filters. I replace them at 10 K or 10 months - 1 year - Gurgaon has higher SPM.

For foam filters, you can wash and reuse them after application of an oil film.

For my scooter, a toothbrush and kersene oil - it a mesh type filter - Bajaj standard. Never needed to relace it in the past 14 years irrespective of SPM.
Old 8th December 2008, 06:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks White_VDi. I cleaned mine on the weekend and it did feel good. I agree with Gaurav's logic though - so just shake it a bit/gentle bump on the wall. That itself made me dirty enough for a second bath
Old 8th December 2008, 14:21   #44
BHPian

the pleasure is all mine phamilyman!!!
Old 8th December 2008, 14:47   #45
BHPian

Hi guys
I have been servicing my baleno regularly for last 3 yrs as per manufacturers recommendation with required filter changes at the *** center, but just wondering if i should try out stock K&N filter (i dont want to change it to conical filter).
Will it really change the performance?
is it worth changing the OE filter change it to K&N stcok filter?
what changes can i expect ?
regards

Most Viewed