Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 11:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

@carboy: Are you sure it was not replaced earlier? usually MASS doesn't make such mistakes, especially when they get paid to do the job Ideally replace the filters at max 20k, pushing it beyond that in Indian condition is no way good.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:21   #62
Team-BHP Support

For the swift diesel, MUL recommends a new air filter every 20k. I change at every 10k. Its not a high value item, but definitely has an impact on the drive.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:38   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@carboy: Are you sure it was not replaced earlier? usually MASS doesn't make such mistakes, especially when they get paid to do the job Ideally replace the filters at max 20k, pushing it beyond that in Indian condition is no way good.
During my 40 K service (June, I think) the guy told me that my filter wasn't dirty enough to replace, so he cleaned & put it back.
I assumed that it must have been replaced at some earlier service also & hence it wasn't dirty. But last weekend, I check through all my service records. No charge anywhere for air filter in any earlier service.
One thing is that a majority of my first 30000kms were done on the Bombay-Pune expressway - so that may possibly be why it wasn't that dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Carboy, you should DEFINITELY replace the air-filter at 40,000 kms tops! Our conditions are way too dusty for any longer than that. Personally, I'd replace the stock air-filter anywhere between 20,000 - 30,000 kms. Note that the air-filter's effectiveness directly affects your car's performance & fuel efficiency.
I will surely replace it in the next couple of weeks.
However, I found a thread in t-bhp which says that it doesn't decrease the efficiency in modern non-carburated cars.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-economy.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
For the swift diesel, MUL recommends a new air filter every 20k. I change at every 10k. Its not a high value item, but definitely has an impact on the drive.
The manual says 20k for Diesel & 40k for Petrol.

My current commute has an average speed of 15-17 kmph :-). So my drive is miserable anyways.

All the same, I will be replacing the airfilter in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by carboy : 11th November 2010 at 11:40.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:27   #64
BANNED

Got a new filter from Amco Spares(MGP) & changed it - - cost Rs. 180, I think

Have a question. The filter looks symmetrical in terms of left/right orientation (though top & bottom are different). Does it make a difference which side goes left & which goes right? I forgot to note what side was where when I removed the old filter.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

My policy is to replace engine oil + filter once every six months and air filter once a year, even though my car does < 500 KM a month. I think the air filter costs just a couple of hundred rupees at the most. That is what I pay for the Alto anyway.

BTW I replace the foam air filter of my Splendor too once a year (~ 10 k KM).

@Carboy
The top / bottom orientation must be correct, left / right does not matter.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:50   #66
BHPian

What would happen if top bottom orientation is incorrect .. if the filter is all clean?
Old 15th November 2010, 19:54   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
What would happen if top bottom orientation is incorrect .. if the filter is all clean?
In my car, I don't think the lid would even close if top-bottom is ulta.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:16   #68
Team-BHP Support

Yes usually the filters will fit in only in one direction. But best is to check the direction of old filter before removing them from the box.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:09   #69
BHPian

Just got my air filter changed at 20K, the OEM filter for vista at 284/-. The engine after the change was much more free revving, and felt amazing to drive, like it was when i bought the car.
Wonder why i waited till 20K for the change. Given its so cheap, am planning to get it replaced every 5K now given the pollution and dust we encounter everyday in the city.
Old 14th January 2013, 14:46   #70

Air filter location

I've been through some of the very dusty parts of Maharashtra and Karnataka recently and feel my car's air filter may benefit from some self cleaning. Car is yet 5K KM away from servicing (Vento TDi).

Where is the air filter located in vento and in general otherwise? Is it something we can easily remove, clean and plug back? Is it advisable to clean it on our own before serviving from service station?

Best regards,
Parag
Old 14th January 2013, 16:44   #71
BHPian

Re: Air filter location

The air filter is located near the engine air intake. You will see a square/rectangular plastic box which has clips on it. From this plastic box, you will see a large cylindrical pipe which enters the engine block. That plastic box holds the air filter element. If you undo the clips on this box, and open it up,you should see the air filter element. It usually has an orange coloured upper part. It is easy to remove, clean or replace. Don't know where exactly it is located in the Vento (but should be within easy reach), as i do not own one.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 17:47   #72
BHPian

Re: Air filter location

2parag,

The red arrow shows the air filter. Open the box, remove the filter carefully, use low pressure compressed air to blow away the dust, box it back & you're done!
Attached Thumbnails
A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-img_0468.jpg  

1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 01:10   #73
BHPian

Re: A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)

Yesterday, while admiring the Tbhp sticker on my car's bonnet I was struck by the idea of cleaning the air filter and good bye to procrastination. As it is a paper filter element, I didn't had much to do. . Btw, its a Ritz Diesel.

The screws holding the air filter box were pretty loose and thanks to the ' take it easy' attitude of MASS
A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-dsc_0242.jpg
A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-dsc_0243.jpg

The odo shows 18500 kms and it's the original stock filter. Never replaced so far and had accumulated a lot of dirt. Look the color. A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-dsc_0244.jpg
A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-dsc_0245.jpg

Managed to pull a lot of dust with slight tapping and vacuuming
A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-dsc_0246.jpg

Did a small test drive and Voila! The engine felt refreshed and revvs are more free now. The turbo kick has also gone up. Now planning to change the filter every 10k kms instead of 20k as specified by Maruti.
junaid12345678 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 11:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Yesterday, while admiring the Tbhp sticker on my car's bonnet I was struck by the idea of cleaning the air filter and good bye to procrastination. As it is a paper filter element, I didn't had much to do. . Btw, its a Ritz Diesel.

Did a small test drive and Voila! The engine felt refreshed and revvs are more free now. The turbo kick has also gone up. Now planning to change the filter every 10k kms instead of 20k as specified by Maruti.
Thanks for the pics, Junaid. I am also planning to do it on my Ritz Petrol. It has clocked 16k kms as of now. Your pics will really help.
Old 24th August 2013, 13:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Thanks for the pics, Junaid. I am also planning to do it on my Ritz Petrol. It has clocked 16k kms as of now. Your pics will really help.
I am not sure about Ritz petrol whether it has paper or sponge type filer element. But just make sure that you never wash the filter. Just tap, blow or vacuum the dust off. Once my friend did the same with his alto. By seeing the dust on its sponge filter he went on to wash the filter with water and detergent. What happened afterwards was the sponge changed its shape and the engine ran all over the tacho. Went straight to MASS driving like a maniac (no other way as the engine has gone crazy) and replaced the filter
junaid12345678 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed