Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 21:50   #61
BHPian

Graphite Pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Once done use Graphite Powder(commonly found in pencils) in the channels and see the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Will try your suggestion. Is Graphite Powder available off the shelf or do we need to crush pencil lead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Interesting solution. Will have to try it.
Using graphite is a good idea because it is a natural carbon lubricant. Pure Graphite pencils are available at stationery stores under the art section, for example, a brand such as Progresso by Koh-i-noor. If you use an ordinary pencil, use 6B or higher because it is extremely soft and easy to powder.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody used Waxpol's DRY GRAPHITE LUBRICANT ? Definitely seems worth a try... but have been unable to find it in the shops I'v visited.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:55   #63
BHPian

I know this thread has not been updated for a while and I do not know if this is the right place to post this query as well.

On Esteem's I have noticed that on the front windows, on the A-pillar side, there is a small rectangular kind of projection on the beading on both the LHS as well as the RHS. What exactly is this thing? Have not been able to figure out it's purpose yet. This is missing on both sides on my car and there are two holes on the beading where it once used to be. Is it in any way responsible for the untimely old age problem almost all Esteem power windows face? I'd once asked MASS for it and they said it is not sold loose and I would have to replace the entire beadings set.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:17   #64
BHPian

Had recently got the window channels of my cousins OHC serviced. The guy said that oil degrades the rubber channels and causes dust to settle in, thus causing the window to move slowly and at times stop. What he did was he removed all the rubber channels and washed it with water and soap and let it dry for a while. He then sprinkled some talcum powder into the grooves and it was good to go. its been 3 weeks now and the windows work perfect. I did a similar DIY job on my lancers window channels using ponds talc which cost some 10bux, was happy it worked on mine too.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:19   #65
BHPian

I just fixed(again) the driver side window in the esteem. This time problem was with the motor - there's a rubber gasket on the motor casing - it deteriorates with age and then rust forms on the insides of the motor when water gets inside - this makes the motor get jammed.

I opened the motor and cleaned it, also realized that the magnets (which are stuck to the sides of the motor casing) had come off - so cleaned them and stuck them with feviquick. For the rubber seal - there's no way to get a replacement so i just put some m-seal around the place where the gasket used to be(i have no plans to open and fix it again - will buy a regulator assembly with the motor @ 1.6K the next time it stops working - had enough of fixing it!)

Hope this info helps someone

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 15th September 2010 at 13:23.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^^Motor costs 1.6k? I guess it would be third party stuff? MASS quoted something much higher for the motor... something like 4 or 8 k each. :o
Old 16th September 2010, 09:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
On Esteem's I have noticed that on the front windows, on the A-pillar side, there is a small rectangular kind of projection on the beading on both the LHS as well as the RHS. What exactly is this thing?
I believe its a guide kind of thing for the glass. Coz of the curve on the A pillar, when you are rolling up the glass, incase the glass moves out, this block will ensure that the glasses are guided correctly into the channel. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by jeeva : 16th September 2010 at 09:24.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Got a 2000 Esteem Vxi.

I have been plagued by the PW problems for quite some time. Took it to a window expert in Zamrudpur. Here is the diagnosis and solution

- Over time the motor bushes wear out and/or the commutator gets glazed. Remove the motor assembly and service it.
- Some times the mechanical part of the window mechanism gets worn out or bent. Either get a second hand one from Lajpat Nagar, or order the whole set including the motor from MUL. Secondhand ones would cost around 600-1000. New ones are in the realms of 2-3K.
- As pointed out above, wash the channels with soap water and use talcum powder to lubricate.

I have got the motors serviced and the mechanical parts straightened out and lubricated the channels. The windows are now fine but move slower than when new. Good enough for me.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:27   #69
BHPian

What are the advantages & disadvantages of fitting a more powerful motor for window?
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:08   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Motor costs 1.6k? I guess it would be third party stuff? MASS quoted something much higher for the motor... something like 4 or 8 k each. :o
Its around Rs. 2000 for the MGP ones motor+regulator assembly - they dont sell the motor seperately - aftermarket motors are available but quality was nowhere close to the OE denso motors. The MASS guys must've quoted with the labour costs(which are getting insane these days!)

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 3rd October 2010 at 11:10.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
What are the advantages & disadvantages of fitting a more powerful motor for window?
1. It would be difficult to get powerful motors matching the original specs.
2. If excessive current is drawn it can blow the controller, and that is expensive. I paid 4K for a second hand controller after my driver fiddled with and blew the controller.

If properly serviced; motor, channels, mechanical winder; the windows wind up and down quite fast and there is no justification for more power.

What can be done to speed up the power windows -
1. Change the wiring from motor to the controller. This would get rid of half the problems, as old wiring gets frayed, pinched and shorts at times.
2. Service the motor - clean the commutator, lubricate the bearings. This would ensure the motor is at its peak performance.
3. Service the mechanism - clean, straighten and lubricate
4. Service the channels - clean and lubricate
Old 4th October 2010, 11:11   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As someone who had an Esteem for 10 years, I can tell you this : live with it! Thanks to Maruti's infamous cost-cutting exercises, the motors are simply too weak to cope with daily use. I spent good time in the first couple of years repairing & servicing the PW assembly, looking for a permanent solution. Nothing worked. In the end, I just stopped using the PW, unless I really had to (say, at a toll booth).
Old 4th October 2010, 12:55   #73
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes this is an OLD and IRRITATING problem. I always hated it in the Esteem and between my Dad and me, having owned 3 different Esteems between 1997-2006 we never found a solution to this problem.

the only thing I can suggest now given that there are so many new Maruti's there in the market is to check if the newer Power Window motors from the Swift/Ritz etc can be retro fitted on an old Esteem. With the typical "jugaad" possible in our country I am sure some creative Maruti mechanic/ garage will find a way!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks