Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 09:41   #1
BHPian

Advice on timing belt replacement

Hi all,

I own an Alto VX which is going to complete 100000 KM. As per maintenance manual Timing belt should be replaced after 100000Km. I need certain inputs from forum if someone has got timing belts replaced earlier:
1. Is it necessary to replace timing belt, i am not facing any difficulties in running condition of vehicle?
2. What will be affect if my timing belt fails on road?
3. How much money replacement is it going to cost in mumbai?

Thanks in advance
RP
Old 11th December 2008, 10:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

1) Yes its relatively inexpensive job and can save you loads of cash in the long run. If you snap the rubber belt, you engine upper half is bound for disaster!

2) Car wont start, valves will go bonkers, pistons can break and you can land up with a major engine job.

4) IIRC belt will be around 750 Rs and labor of 500 bucks max at a MASS. Maybe its a good idea to get a good check up and service done along with this at 100,000 kms mark. ie if you dont mind spending couple of thousands for peace of mind.

I remember that the replacement was at 75,000 kms earlier models, so could you confirm from your manual if this has been increased.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:38   #3
BHPian

The labour would be in range of Rs.500. The belt as it is, is not very expensive. However generally people get the Timing bearing and Waterbody also changed.

Its more of a preventive maintenance.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I remember that the replacement was at 75,000 kms earlier models, so could you confirm from your manual if this has been increased.
Hi what would the change interval be period wise.My car's a 12 year 800,
it's done only 28,368 kms till date.

thanks
Old 11th December 2008, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Still, get the timing belt changed as the rubber gets harder and cracked over a period of time. Generally it is reccommended to change the timing chain after 100K kms and the belt after 80K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi what would the change interval be period wise.My car's a 12 year 800,
it's done only 28,368 kms till date.

thanks
Old 11th December 2008, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

A friend recently neglected changing the Timing Belt on his Octavia vRS (his version is that when he asked for it the Skoda service centre said they'll change it in the next service) and it broke while the car was being driven by his pop.

Net result, needed a head job with new valves, seats etc. etc. Skoda quoted his 1.5L for the job.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:17   #7
BHPian

HI Jaggu,

Thanx for information. I have been quoted Rs 2000/- as total cost for timing belt replacement at Sai service mumbai. what other services you recommend at 100000 Km. two years ago thats at about at 80000Km i had got done following checks/service:

1) Petrol tank Cleaning
2) Injector cleaning
3)engine decarbonisation
4) Compression test
5) raditor flushing
6) all oils replacement as per time
7) spark plug replacement
8) Throttle body service
9) Valve clearnace check

I just wanted to know whether Alto VX has a Chain timing belt or Rubber timing belt? I hope Service guys dont replace a chain timing belt with Rubber timing belt. Mine is a September 2001 Alto Vx and its manual specifies timing belt replacement at 100000Km.

Thanx
RP
Old 11th December 2008, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Rightly said, it is a part of the preventive maintenance.

I recently got my WagonR's timing belt changed (~ 84K on ODO then)
Before I got it changed, I enquired from at least 4 different M.A.S.S. and every one advised to get it changed at 80K rather than 100000 KM as advised in the Owner's manual.

I got the below job done:
1. Timing Belt Changed
2. Tappet Packing Changed
3. Water Pump Belt changed
4. Engine oil changed.

The cost for the above job was ~ Rs. 1800 (after some discount and excluding Engine oil cost)
I would advise to get this done from a M.A.S.S. only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
The labour would be in range of Rs.500. The belt as it is, is not very expensive. However generally people get the Timing bearing and Waterbody also changed.

Its more of a preventive maintenance.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:18   #9
BHPian

Alto will have a Rubber Timing Belt.
I guess, one must get this changed any time after 80K on the ODO - it doesn't cost much and it would be better to stay safe than sorry .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post

I just wanted to know whether Alto VX has a Chain timing belt or Rubber timing belt? I hope Service guys dont replace a chain timing belt with Rubber timing belt. Mine is a September 2001 Alto Vx and its manual specifies timing belt replacement at 100000Km.

Thanx
RP
Old 12th December 2008, 16:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to get the timing belt changed in our Esteem... its done approx 45,000 km... but since its 6 - 7 years old, I thought it might be a good idea, fearing the possibility of rubber cracking.

But the MASS I gave it to for servicing strongly discouraged me, saying that its good for around 100,000 km! I tried to point out that rubber may have degraded, and if it happens while driving, the valves and everthing else might get screwed. They still told me not to worry at all about it, as its highly unlikely that any such thing will happen before 100,000 km. Furthermore, I was told that in Esteem, breaking of the belt will not result in damage to the valves.... it happens in some other cars, but not in Esteem.

Can someone who knows the Esteem's engine confirm if this is true??

Also, granted that the belt is good for 100,000 km, but will how long will the belt hold in terms of years?

On their insistance, I opted not to change the timing belt for now.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th December 2008 at 16:33.
Old 12th December 2008, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the same Job is prescribed for diesel Indica's too ? earlier models @ 75000kms and latest models @ 90000kms.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
1) Petrol tank Cleaning
2) Injector cleaning
3)engine decarbonisation
4) Compression test
5) raditor flushing
6) all oils replacement as per time
7) spark plug replacement
8) Throttle body service
9) Valve clearnace check
Do a regular 20k service or tune up and checks (oil, brakes, suspension etc). Change the timing belt (yes its rubber in Alto), also check for any other wear and tear issues while opening up the timing cover, pulleys, tensioner, water pump etc. Also change the ac and water pump belts (fan belts gen term) if they were not changed in the last 40k kms.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Scorpip Tensioner Pullys And Timing Belt

Went to the M&M ASC today to grease the sound from the clutch pedal; no use, they need a whole day to do a thorough job to change the bush etc.,

My Scorpio CRDE has run 30.8K, last service @ 27k, they said the timing belt, pulleys, gear bearings look OK, but I will have to change the tensioner pullys soon as possible. Said the net cost would be 1.5 K including 2 pullys, labour etc.,

The service book says to chek and change all of theseAT 30 k, while the ASC guys say only the pully will do.

What's the best thing to do?

Thanks for your inputs,

Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 13th December 2008 at 14:36.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:46   #14
BHPian

Thanx jaggu,

I have already given my vehicle for timing belt replacement today at Sai Service mumbai. I am also getting my steering and front suspenion O/H as their was some noise coming. Service advisor also suggested Tac 1 test (supposedly test of all sensors) which i am getting done.

RP
Old 13th December 2008, 15:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Went to the M&M ASC today to grease the sound from the clutch pedal; no use, they need a whole day to do a thorough job to change the bush etc.,

My Scorpio CRDE has run 30.8K, last service @ 27k, they said the timing belt, pulleys, gear bearings look OK, but I will have to change the tensioner pullys soon as possible. Said the net cost would be 1.5 K including 2 pullys, labour etc.,

The service book says to chek and change all of theseAT 30 k, while the ASC guys say only the pully will do.

What's the best thing to do?

Thanks for your inputs,

Ramky
====
the service booklet advises to check and change IF REQUIRED at 30,000 kms. i think 30k is too early to change the timing belt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks