Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 14:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add 'good reflex' to the list of essentials. But I guess this is something you are born with and one may not be able to aquire it.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:04   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Exactly.
The point is I have often heard friends and some BHPians themselves say what is there in driving fast. You don't need good tires, suspension, brakes at all. So this is to enunciate the importance of all so that everyone who likes to drive fast is aware of the fact that to be safe its important to have a complete package. Not just titanium, CF whatever.

Quote:
I agree.
Like I said earlier, kindly feel free to correct me or add you views to the thread.

Quote:
As Ananth has already mentioned, if you need to drive fast or know how good you are, do it in a controlled environment. Theres no use taking unnecessary risks on a public road.
Farhan isn't that the reason why some of us turn up at all the track days held?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
So controllability becomes better, so does your confidence, hence maybe a little step on the gas
Exactly what I meant. Better grip enables you to hold greater speeds in a corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I would like to add 'good reflex' to the list of essentials. But I guess this is something you are born with and one may not be able to aquire it.
Hhhhmm. I think I have mentioned that in my first post? If not, thanks for pointing it out. Completely agree, quick reflexes is as important as well.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:12   #48
BHPian

I am still waiting to understand the point of this thread. But great entertainment though

Keep it coming.
prabhuav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2008, 15:16   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I am still waiting to understand the point of this thread.
Maybe, you should ask the same question on the "not to do" thread?
Old 12th December 2008, 15:28   #50
BHPian

On track, the most amount of time lost or gained is under braking.
There are some places where you would be fast carrying your braking into the corner, while in others, that would not be the case. It all depends on the track.

But, on road, the time lost or gained by perfect driving skills is totally insignificant compared to time lost or gained by knowing and predicting others' movements and 'antics'.

the fact that you will be the fastest guy on the road if you can predict others movements cannot be overstated.

Obviously, you need to have basic skills necessary to drive fast, but, you dont have to be Schumacher. You dont even need to take unnecessary risks.

I am slightly out of time now, but i will post the nuances and techniques of driving fast as soon as i have time, they will cover braking, cornering, shifting, everything.
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2008, 15:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I am still waiting to understand the point of this thread.
Its quite simple, Prabhu. The point of this thread is to make people believe that there is more to driving fast on public roads than just being plain irresponsible or leaving your brains at home.

If a cabbie cuts and overtakes you from left side, you have full right to blast him, for he is ignorant. But if someone who believes in all the points listed here cuts you and overtakes you from left, then its ok because he supposedly possesses all these "essential" tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Maybe, you should ask the same question on the "not to do" thread?
You mean, the one in Shifting Gears???
Old 12th December 2008, 15:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What? You get best engine braking in diesels. I bought diesel Jeep over petrol Jeep/Gypsy because of engine braking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Samurai - diesel engines ignite on compression. You compress regardless of whether you have a foot on your accelerator, except probably in modern ECU-based diesels which your CJ surely isnt.
My experience as well, Diesels offer more "engine braking". A lot more than petrols, although no idea why. Applies for CRDi engines as well.
Old 12th December 2008, 16:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tires: Tires play as important a role as brakes do. Remember the only form of contact between the car and the road is tires. Respect that, if you want to be safe & quick. Softer compounds give you tremendous grip while at the same time they have less life. If you are one of those who drives fast, do not compromise on tire compound to longetivity of tires. In trying to make sure tires long laster, you might end up shortening your own life. A complete NO NO!

Kindly remember that to be able to drive fast and safely its important to keep all these points in mind.
Then, why do u still have those crappy Jk's on your Swift D?
Don't tell me that its your Dad's car or u don't drive FAST.

Quote:
Completely agree. Take the accent crdi and the OHC Vtec for example. Wonderful cars, good engines but suspension is such a big let down. One could kill themselves easily trying to extract the best from their engines.
OHC VTEC suspension is soft ??
Dude!! Please accept the fact that not everyone buys cars to drive on track.
Quote:
Agree again. But I have had two experiences. Once when my Baleno was shod with Eagle F1's and the comparison to the grip levels after switching to AD07's. AD07's being ten folds better, actually 100 folds would be more apt. Secondly, switching S-drives on an elantra to PP2's. Phenominal difference in braking and corner speeds.
Agreed AD07 is miles ahead of F1s but u can't say thats the best for Indian roads where there u need to consider more factors than just the grip levels of a tire.
Both PPs and S drives are great performance tires. U can't generalize and say that there's phenomenal difference between S drives and PPs just because of one bad experience in an Elantra.

Your statements can be quite misleading especially for newbies.

Quote:
Also, I know instinctively when you see a biker cross a road when you are doing say 140kmph the first thing you do is either swerve or just sit on the brakes. That is because it comes instinctively to us. But with a little practise don't you think you can frame your mind to brake, downshift and then use the power to steer away safely. Another thing with just sitting on the brakes is that you are often not under any control if the tail steps out under braking.

How and where do u that?
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2008, 17:10   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Then, why do u still have those crappy Jk's on your Swift D?
Don't tell me that its your Dad's car or u don't drive FAST.
Honestly, I do not drive that car fast. If you notice carefully I never take it to TBHP drives but tag along with someone because of that exact reason (and most members here know that). When I go out of town I only stick to an average of 120kmph which is by my means and considering how the swift handles (chassy & suspension) NOT FAST. Also let me add that I am not comfortable pushing that engine past 140 kmph and I have re-iterated that on several threads.

I was planning to shod the car with my AD07's for the Yelagiri drive but since I couldn't get time to swap the rims & tires I decided to leave the car at home.

Quote:
This is the "honest" feedback from all those owners of Vtec's in Bangalore who have modded their cars for street use. If you do come down to Bangalore, I would glad to show you around so that you can judge for yourself and speak to some owners. But then you will always have people who try to convince themselves there is "nothing lacking" in their car in all segments. Maybe you could PM Ajmat, wolf, Peter on this.

Quote:
Agreed AD07 is miles ahead of F1s but u can't say thats the best for Indian roads where there u need to consider more factors than just the grip levels of a tire.
Prajesh, kindly read up. I never said ALL have to change their tires to AD07's or such. For those who prefer longetivity of tires to driving fast they should do so. My only point is if you wish to drive fast, as a precautionary measure get good rubber.

Quote:
Both PPs and S drives are great performance tires. U can't generalize and say that there's phenomenal difference between S drives and PPs just because of one bad experience in an Elantra.
Let me quote my experience with my cousins swift. He had S drives on his car (fitted by Thouqueer & Anwar), but after Tadu's experience I decided to take his car for a spin. Shockingly the experience was quite similar and he too said he had managed to lock up tires often. I asked him to switch to PP2's and since then he has had no issues whatsoever and confirms that S drives aren't as good as the PP2's. Besides we have had members like brraj, cmiuc, prabhuav, karthikkumar see the difference between the two tires on Tadu's elantra too. How do you explain the difference between the two?

Quote:
Your statements can be quite misleading especially for newbies.
I think we should come out of our stereotype recommendations we shower all over the forum without sufficient proof. All I would do is request any member opting for S drives to drive it back to back with PP2's and take the call themselves. Boss, understand I am an ardent fan of AD07's that are made by Yokos. But I prefer calling a spade a spade when I say S.drives aren't in the same league as PP2's. But thats just my opinion (and that of serveral others on this forum), you are free to point out yours.

Quote:

How and where do u that?
You mean where did I or the other guys who I mentioned in my post learn the art of engine braking? Its on a TRACK.

PS: Pardon me for the spelling mistake. Didn't know you were my English teacher deducting marks for spelling mistakes .

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 12th December 2008 at 17:12.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Quote:
This is the "honest" feedback from all those owners of Vtec's in Bangalore who have modded their cars for street use. If you do come down to Bangalore, I would glad to show you around so that you can judge for yourself and speak to some owners.
You can PM me too. First thing i changed on my OHC when i got it (it had done 60K odd kms at that time) was get the suspension stiffened.

Stock suspension was scary!! Plus the car used to bottom out at every hump

Quote:
i will post the nuances and techniques of driving fast as soon as i have time, they will cover braking, cornering, shifting, everything.
Dude, also post how to avoid someone from rear ending you when you are forced to brake and stop suddenly.

Last edited by amitoj : 12th December 2008 at 17:28.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting and informative thread. Keep them coming.
IMO i have always maintained - Its not the car who wins the race but the person who is driving it! Thats why driving skills are always more impo than the car you are driving.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:36   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dude, also post how to avoid someone from rear ending you when you are forced to brake and stop suddenly.
Quite simple. Use the RVM's to position yourself in a way that you will avoid being rear ended and do remember the disclaimer sticker posted on ORVM's.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite simple. Use the RVM's to position yourself in a way that you will avoid being rear ended and do remember the disclaimer sticker posted on ORVM's.
Simplistic scenario yields simplistic results.
What if you go from center lane to right lane to overtake a vehicle after overtaking a truck that is in right lane. Suddenly a two wheeler, whom you could not see since he was in front of the vehicle in the center lane suddenly comes into right lane, bang in front of you, doing atleast 80 KMPH less than you. You hit the brakes. Now how do you prevent the truck you just overtook from banging into you?
Old 12th December 2008, 17:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. Sounds pretty simple provided we have crooked eyes, one to keep on road in front and one to keep on the RVM.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:44   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

For eg, if you have a truck with a container thats crossing the road on the wrong side and you have had to brake, try stopping near the left corner of the road instead of braking in the middle or the road and stopping in the same path. The chances that a car following the same path behind you, might not be able to stop as quick as you could. Moving away from his line MIGHT save your car from being rear ended. Ofcourse, to know what path he choses you need to use your mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Simplistic scenario yields simplistic results.
What if you go from center lane to right lane to overtake a vehicle after overtaking a truck that is in right lane. Suddenly a two wheeler, whom you could not see since he was in front of the vehicle in the center lane suddenly comes into right lane, bang in front of you, doing atleast 80 KMPH less than you. You hit the brakes. Now how do you prevent the truck you just overtook from banging into you?
Different scenarios will need different kind of reactions. One needs to use his logic in such cases depending on the on road & traffic conditions. If one could predict every move and have a remedy for it in advance there would be no accidents. Besides this thread is not on how to "avoid accidents", its to educate the precautionary measures one needs to take before setting off.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 12th December 2008 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks