Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Oil change - interchangeability / compatibility chart

Can anyone give a list of models that can work on an oil from a different car model? That is, can (good) oil from Tata Indica Petrol be put into MPFI Zen or a Santro? Something of this type would really help the owners of 2 or more cars - from the same segment.

Why would one want to do that??? - The newer car is not due for oil change, but the older (less favorite) car is. So, instead of putting fresh, brand new oil into the old cow, put it into the new car, and put the good oil from the new car into the older one...
Old 14th December 2008, 19:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I wouldnt even think about it...
Old 14th December 2008, 20:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
Can anyone give a list of models that can work on an oil from a different car model? That is, can (good) oil from Tata Indica Petrol be put into MPFI Zen or a Santro? Something of this type would really help the owners of 2 or more cars - from the same segment.

Why would one want to do that??? - The newer car is not due for oil change, but the older (less favorite) car is. So, instead of putting fresh, brand new oil into the old cow, put it into the new car, and put the good oil from the new car into the older one...
. If you dislike your old car so much, you should really just get rid of it instead of subjecting it to such indignities!

However, let me understand this a little further. Assuming your new oil has a 5000 km change interval, when you do the oil change in your new car, you fill the old used oil from the new car into the old car. Now your old car will need an oil change in say 2500kms since the oil is already half degraded while your new car will need a change in 5000 kms. What oil do you use for this next change at 2500 kms, since you will presumably not be changing the new car oil again? Also will you be changing the oil filter in the old car with every oil change?

Anyway, I wouldt do it if I were you. Any car I have, old or new, would get the same loving maintenance in the engine department at the very least.
Old 14th December 2008, 20:54   #4
BHPian

Why even bother to change the oil in the old car then ?
If you would have 2 pets, would you feed the second pet the excreta from the first one?
Old 14th December 2008, 23:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toing
If you would have 2 pets, would you feed the second pet the excreta from the first one?
This is actually true.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Why even bother to change the oil in the old car then ?
. agree.

No idea why one would think about this anyways. Is the current recession that bad?
Old 15th December 2008, 10:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your post helped me truly comprehend the meaning of the much abused word 'step-motherly'!
Old 15th December 2008, 12:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think a new organisation needs to be set up, especially for dealing with such cases - S.P.C.C. (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Cars)!
Old 15th December 2008, 13:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I think a new organisation needs to be set up, especially for dealing with such cases - S.P.C.C. (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Cars)!
Come on guys dont be so harsh I do see some use cases for reusing OIL.
Example New car owners over pamper their cars and change OIL at 1500KM
instead of recommended 15000 In some case , Throwing away good oil is not eco-friendly , so why can't this oil from enthusiasts car be sold to Taxi industry where they continue using engine oil beyond its age and add to pollution ?

In fact I can envision classifieds on T-BHP where owners can offer their used oil for recycling in some other vehicle provided small time Taxi operators ( 1 or 2 Vehicles) also join T-BHP

Note to OP : Engine oils have grades in case the grade of Oil in doner car same or higher then the receiver you can re-use provided the Oil is still good. Also Do not mix multiple types of oils.
*TYPO Corrected*

Last edited by amitk26 : 15th December 2008 at 13:56.
Old 15th December 2008, 16:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... it might not be so simple. Used oil... esp. from new car will have metal debris... not to mention a lot of other unwanted stuff. I'm not sure how this will affect the other car it is used in. I can imagine some other issues too...

All in all, this idea (of transferring oil to other cars) sounds as stupid as those nutty, paranoid owners changing oil every 1,500 km! Changing the oil at this interval a couple of times when the engine is brand new might be a good idea, but after that, it is a sheer waste... not to speak of the ecological impact.

Quote:
Throwing away good oil is not eco-friendly , so why can't this oil from enthusiasts car be sold to Taxi industry where they continue using engine oil beyond its age and add to pollution ?
How does this add to pollution? In fact, it might be the reverse - they are using less oil which would be MORE eco friendly (tho they would be shortening their engine life by overusing the oil, but thats another issue). Didn't quite get the logic of that?!
Old 15th December 2008, 18:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Oil once put in into the crank-case, must not be used again.

Why would even think of such a thing ? A car like that would take about 3-4 litres of oil. About 500-600 bucks, even if you use Castrol ?

Quote:
amitk26 : In fact I can envision classifieds on T-BHP where owners can offer their used oil for recycling in some other vehicle provided small time Taxi operators ( 1 or 2 Vehicles) also join T-BHP
The taxi operators may already be using re-cycled oil, for all we know. Waste oil from service stations (A.S.S's) is collected for re-cycling - and must end up somewhere, right ?

p.s: doing an oil change at an A.S.S/A.S.C does have this one advantage.

Last edited by condor : 15th December 2008 at 18:14.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Waste oil from service stations (A.S.S's) is collected for re-cycling - and must end up somewhere, right ?
You're right, and some of it is even used for frying pakoras! I even ate some near Ranikhet once, and truth to tell the flow next morning was ultra smooth!
Old 15th December 2008, 19:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god, when I thought we got a break from one attack, we have another one here
Old 15th December 2008, 23:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Used oil is bought at Rs.7 per litre ,processed and sold as cheap motor oil by shady dealers.

Last edited by nitrous : 15th December 2008 at 23:20.
Old 15th December 2008, 23:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... I was told that the used oil is also bought by paint manufacturing companies. They obviously use it in paints, after processing.

Furthermore, I'v heard that the old oil is also used (of course after processing) by people who conterfeit containers of well known oil brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks