Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 00:57   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
The MASS engineer told me that in swift the cooling gets adjusted based on how fast you are driving.
I agree with that. I never keep my temp knob at the coolest setting. Its always a few notches up. I have noticed that when I'm stopped at a signal, the compressor switches off with an audible click. I fact at a certain setting it keeps clicking on and off quite frequently. However, this rarely happens when I'm driving and even less frequently at higher speeds on the highway.
What is the logic behind this? I would think it would depend only upon the position of your temp knob.

Last edited by Roy.S : 13th June 2009 at 00:58.
Old 13th June 2009, 01:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

ALl ac system has a thermostat. Its just like your home fridge. thats cuts off according to the settings set on the thermostat switch
Old 13th June 2009, 01:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
ALl ac system has a thermostat. Its just like your home fridge. thats cuts off according to the settings set on the thermostat switch
Thats what I thought too, but in the Swift it seems to depend upon the engine revs. Or am I just imagining this?
Old 13th June 2009, 06:27   #49
BHPian

Even my1999 Uno had a thermostat relay which controlled the temperature by switching off the compressor depending on the position on the knob.
Old 13th June 2009, 07:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Thats what I thought too, but in the Swift it seems to depend upon the engine revs. Or am I just imagining this?
Unlike home ACs or fridges, a car AC works at varying capacities. Higher the engine rpm, higher the cooling.
That is why, for a given temperature setting, the compressor cuts in and out more frequently at higher engine rpms.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2009, 07:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. I'd partly agree. In the daily expressway run, I always find the AC adequate at setting 1 (full cool). In the mall crawl, number 2 is required, even in evening.

But yes, courtesy the llumar - the AC is quite adequate. Never needed above 2, even when fully loaded
Old 13th June 2009, 08:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In the mall crawl, number 2 is required, even in evening.
An inherent property of R134a based systems.
R134a works at higher pressures and might not cool well at low engine rpms.
With the older R12 systems this problem was much less!
Old 14th June 2009, 08:13   #53
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
An inherent property of R134a based systems.
R134a works at higher pressures and might not cool well at low engine rpms.
Apologies if this is OT, but am curious--Does the engine rpm dictate the pressure of the AC? So, suppose you dont drive your car for like a month, will that lead to total loss of pressure in the system?

I thought it was to do with the inherent gas present in the system?

Do give me your inputs.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 14th June 2009, 09:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Does the engine rpm dictate the pressure of the AC? So, suppose you dont drive your car for like a month, will that lead to total loss of pressure in the system?
Engine rpm dictates the quantity of refrigerant that the compressor can deliver.
At low rpms the quantity will be less with refrigerants that work at high pressures as compared to those that work at lower pressures.

As for the total loss of pressure if the engine is not used for an extended period, LOL, that will not happen! The system is a sealed system. All that will happen over time is that the pressures in the system, on the LP and HP sides, will equalize. No harm done there!
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:52   #55
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs. Has anyone observed this compressor cutoff in a DDiS? I do notice that it switches on in petrol vehicles, but what about the diesel one's?
Old 24th June 2009, 02:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Swift has anyways what I personally consider a crap AC. Don't see much problem - it is inferior compared to Santro/innova and the likes. What does a checkup reveal?
Swift AC inferior compared to Santro/Innova
Sir ji, Santro has got the the worst AC in hatchbacks, telling you from my own experience and could be verified with almost any Santro owner). And for innova lesser we talk about better it would be

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd March 2010 at 16:29. Reason: See note in post
Old 3rd July 2009, 19:55   #57
BHPian

Swift AC

I agree completely with Turbo Head. Have done abt 53k now in my Swift Vxi, and faced nary a problem with the AC, having driven to places as diverse as Lucknow and Nagpur in high summer, from Pune...

As for the cutoff, I have observed the thermostat cutoff quite frequently and distinctly - actually i used to escape my office for a nap in the car, with AC on at idling. Am quite sure the cutoffs occur at higher speeds also, just that you can't here them over the engine noise.
Old 4th July 2009, 00:42   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

It works ---and, as roadie_swift says, it works even when the car is parked and the engine idling.

The "BUT" is that I really do not think it is up to tropical temperatures. I cannot deny that it cooled the car during recent Chennai hot-hot-hot days, but it would not have been capable of making it cold.
Old 13th January 2010, 21:20   #59
BHPian

ok guys,
ac problems in my swift d posted somewhere else also.please tell me if this is an isolated case or a common one.

direct sunlight on a hot day in late morning and afternoon, insufficient or no cooling. Passengers at the back do not feel any cooling at all.
on such a day, if i happen to be under some shade, the ac starts to cool rapidly. the moment i start to move into sunlight, the cooling starts to fade.

evening and night time, ac cools like a freezer.

i spoke MASS(Chowgule), they pointed out as no tinting as the issue here which i think is absolute BS.
a local mechanic pointed out the issue as something to do with the condenser. he suggested spraying water onto the condenser and observe the cooling.

i did the same, sprayed water on the condenser located in the front, and i noticed immediate cooling.

i read here as the cooling in swift d is insufficient, is my case as good as yours?

also if this is a condenser problem, will a heatsink or some sort of heat reflector installation in front of the condenser help? just a query.
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:57   #60
BHPian

From last week onwards, i am experiencing a drop in the AC cooling of my Swift Dzire VXi.

i have driven only 3500 odd Kms., what can be the issue ?

1. Is it the Gas Level.
2. Issue with the AC as a whole itself

Kindly provide valuable inputs, i need your inputs before going to MASS, so that i have information forehand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks