Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

^^^Any idea if any India cars have a magnetic drain plug? Anybody knows where they are available?
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:15   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
During the 'running in period' if you use a synth you are likely to develop a glaze in the cylinders 'freezing' the engine in a semi- run-in position. The run-in period will then be very long. The exact point where one can consider the engine as run-in can always be debated.

Some years ago one of my friends had installed a magnetic drain plug on his nearly new engine (1st oil change). The amount of 'kerf' collected by the magnet in 5,000miles was an eye opener.
True. Synth doesnt eliminate wear and tear but only reduces it. So your running in might last 2K-3K instead of 1. All I am saying is that you COULD use synth when the engine is new but might wind up with extended running in and of course the expense of changing the oil frequently to get rid of the metal grit.

My personal opinion is change oil as frequently as economics and common sense dictate keeping in mind mfrs recommendations and your driving conditions. Yes, synth is best but to my simple mind it doesnt make sense when I can change the oil 5 times over in 1 year (assuming a fill of synth takes you to the 1 year/10K kms interval) and keep my engine running beautifully. This is assuming I forget the inconvenience of going to the dealer 5 times a year. To be honest sir ji, none of us intend keeping cars for 10 years like it used to be in my father's day. So I will stick with mineral till synth appeals to my "economic and common senses".

Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Any idea if any India cars have a magnetic drain plug? Anybody knows where they are available?
My 1997 Tata Sumo came with a magnetic drain plug(bolt).
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:18   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Good question. But then I read there are some guys who have actually stuck a magnet on the outside of the drain plug for almost the same effect. Ingenious solution actually.

Rgds,
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:00   #50
BHPian

Last week I had given my NHC for service at Dakshin Honda. They did check the oil and said that there is no need for me to change now. The reason they gave is that they checked the oil for its viscosity and good for another 5K kms.
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
The only way to correctly tell is to send the oil for oil analysis to a laboratory. And we dont really have such facilities in India.
Yes, we do have such facilities in India. I suggest people email some of the multinational oil companies that have an Indian website such as Shell India, Castrol India, and Mobil India. Either they provide UOA (used oil analysis) themselves using their own laboratories (labs) or they will give you information about other labs in India.

For example, I have heard that there is a lab in Bombay that does UOA (used oil analysis) and VOA (virgin oil analysis) for about Rs. 1000

The name and number of the company is:

Intertek India - Tel: +91-22-28244767

India Testing and Inspection
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
Yes, we do have such facilities in India. I suggest people email some of the multinational oil companies that have an Indian website such as Shell India, Castrol India, and Mobil India. Either they provide UOA (used oil analysis) themselves using their own laboratories (labs) or they will give you information about other labs in India.

For example, I have heard that there is a lab in Bombay that does UOA (used oil analysis) and VOA (virgin oil analysis) for about Rs. 1000

The name and number of the company is:

Intertek India - Tel: +91-22-28244767

India Testing and Inspection
With this high quote it is better to get the oil changed. Anyway good info
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^^Very true. It will be cheaper to replace any mineral oil even in a car. But if they are giving a comprehensive test result, then it might be useful, as you can get to know the condition of the engine too. Besides this, one could do a couple of tests to determine how long a particular brand holds good with our pattern of driving.

Besides the companies mentioned above, I v recently saw it mentioned on Valvoline India's website. So I guess the facilities might be there.... but they aren't economically viable for most of us.

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd January 2009 at 14:24.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:23   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My personal opinion is change oil as frequently as economics and common sense dictate keeping in mind mfrs recommendations and your driving conditions. Yes, synth is best but to my simple mind it doesnt make sense when I can change the oil 5 times over in 1 year (assuming a fill of synth takes you to the 1 year/10K kms interval) and keep my engine running beautifully. This is assuming I forget the inconvenience of going to the dealer 5 times a year. To be honest sir ji, none of us intend keeping cars for 10 years like it used to be in my father's day. So I will stick with mineral till synth appeals to my "economic and common senses".

Cheers!
That is why I use a semi-synth. Modified to mimic (somewhat) the composition of a synth at a fraction of the price. I would go full synth if I was doing say 25,000km a year and stretch the oil changes.
Old 27th January 2009, 00:13   #55
BHPian

Just to add for those with FIAT 1.6l engines

For those with the FIAT 1.6 engines please turn to page 112 of your users manual. Though the service guys tells you there is no need for running in of your FIAT engines it is specifically mentioned there that running in period is for about 5000kms. In my GTX it stretched for about 9800kms. After this period the car was extremely silent that I had to have my hands on the gear lever to ascertain whether the car was on or look at the dashboard to confirm. The GTX has run 58000kms with change of a set of wiper blades, accelerator cable and fuel pump motor. Fuel pump motor going Kaput was totally my fault since I used to drive it around with about 2 liter of petrol max since I was using LPG from 12000kms. Thats all I have changed in the car since purchase on July 27 2003.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:14   #56
BANNED

Good read :

Ten Myths About Synthetic Lubrication CArheARt….where you learn about automotive..
Old 30th January 2009, 11:54   #57
BANNED

A very nice link which debunks a lot of theories. It more or less confirms my view that 'Synthetics can be used for longer distances'. However, the injunction of at least one change a year still holds.
Old 5th February 2009, 19:02   #58
BHPian

Synthetic oil has some extra life compared to mineral oil, but the oil filter has to also last as long as the s.oil.
Old 15th January 2010, 20:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A very nice link which debunks a lot of theories. It more or less confirms my view that 'Synthetics can be used for longer distances'. However, the injunction of at least one change a year still holds.
What if one is driving 20000 km a year. Using a good mineral oil conforming to manufacturer's specification one would change the oil at 5000km would have to change it 4 times. would it not be better for the engine rather than say using a syntetic for the entire period.
Co. specifies 7500 km or 6 months ,but i change at 5000km though i do this mileage in 3.5 months only.
Maybe stretching over full six months 7500km would be wiser as i still would be within the 6 months period ?
Old 15th January 2010, 21:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

The best way to determine the 'life of oil' is by UOA (Used Oil Analysis) which basically sending a sample of your used oil to a test laboratory and have them analyse it and give a report.

I've researched on doing a UOA here. And what I came up with is this:
There are labs here who do this for Marine and other heavy duty engines.
The process is quite expensive at ~ 3,000 rupees.

I'm attaching a UOA done in the US from a BMW forum.
Read the comments part of it which is the interpretation of the report for non-techies.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats the life of the synthetic oil?-uoa_330i_bmw5w30_7500miles.gif  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks