Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 20:44   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The best way to determine the 'life of oil' is by UOA (Used Oil Analysis) which basically sending a sample of your used oil to a test laboratory and have them analyse it and give a report.
Wouldn't it be cheaper (in time and $$$) to change the oil, instead of sending a sample for UOA . C'mon, oil change intervals aren't rocket science. 7,500 kms is a very reasonable change interval for synthetics.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes it would of course be cheaper to change the oil, but then UOA gives an indications which can be used for all subsequent oil changes... like telling you how good a particular oil will be, with your pattern of driving on a particular car. In that sense, it could save you money over time. Also, UOA gives other indications, like about the condition of your engine, etc.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well my "experience" with Shell Helix

4000 kms over 6 months in my Swift & when it went in for service & some other stuff to the workshop. I was asked "how long have you not changed the oil" ??

To my surprise & dismay, the above oil should have easily done over 7-8k kms on a petrol engine. (my Octy deisel does better)..

Any pointers ? Fake oil or driven hard ? Coz driven hard it was.

Cheers
Old 17th January 2010, 20:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Well my "experience" with Shell Helix

4000 kms over 6 months in my Swift & when it went in for service & some other stuff to the workshop. I was asked "how long have you not changed the oil" ??

To my surprise & dismay, the above oil should have easily done over 7-8k kms on a petrol engine. (my Octy deisel does better)..

Any pointers ? Fake oil or driven hard ? Coz driven hard it was.

Cheers
Was it shell helix synthetic (ultra) or the mineral variety (super, now called HX). if your SC goes by the colour of the oil then he could be off the mark and angling at getting an oil change done by him. 4K kms is not much mileage for either the synth or mineral variety. On the contrary an engine oil turning dark means it is doing its job well...an oil that stays clear for a long time is a cause for worry.

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2010, 21:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Was it shell helix synthetic (ultra) or the mineral variety (super, now called HX). if your SC goes by the colour of the oil then he could be off the mark and angling at getting an oil change done by him. 4K kms is not much mileage for either the synth or mineral variety. On the contrary an engine oil turning dark means it is doing its job well...an oil that stays clear for a long time is a cause for worry.

Cheers!

I know for a fact that it was synthetic, as my car is serviced & pampered at a friend's place.

Oil turned dark alright, so I guess he was just warning me to look after the car more than I do

Thanks for the input
Old 17th January 2010, 21:21   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I know for a fact that it was synthetic, as my car is serviced & pampered at a friend's place.

Oil turned dark alright, so I guess he was just warning me to look after the car more than I do

Thanks for the input

Dont worry buddy 4K is no big deal for modern engine oils. Oil dealers tried to tell me that Ultra can go for 25K kms, which is hogwash. And Shell markets their Helix range as a bunch of oils that keep the engine clean.

Just change the oil and filter at Maruti's recommended intervals and the engine will love you for it.
Old 18th January 2010, 00:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. If the engine and everything is in great shape, don't worry. There are a lot of mechs. out there who claim to know just by color and touch, that your ride needs an oil change. Rubbish.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:32   #68
BHPian

Re: Whats the life of the synthetic oil?

my 2 cars do less than 2000kms a year each, but is driven over short distances of around 1 km about thrice a week. I know all engine oils stress on the drain intervals by the quantum of kms driven. Even the cheapest of oils today have a drain interval in terms of kms, which my car never completes in a year. Any suggestions, which oils (indian, imported or available only abroad) have the best drain interval in terms of time rather than kms driven (need not be drained if kilometers are not driven even in a years time or more) ?

Heard of amsoil ows & voltronic but they too suggest a change after a year. Can a marine engine oil help increase in engine time, with a high TBN of 53 or 73? one car is driven delicately by my mother with gear changes under 2k rpm & the other is driven hard by me with gear shifts almost near the red line or in the peak torque range and sum times extended periods of idling in heavy traffic in the heat under the blazing sun with the AC on, averaging a few meters an hour!

When synthetic engine oil ages, does the viscosity decrease as it is a boosted with additives low viscosity base oil or does it increase due to adding of sludge?

Last edited by agent4ferrari : 18th February 2011 at 16:14.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:26   #69
BHPian

One car is driven delicately by my mother with smooth gear changes around 2 to 2.5k rpm with minimum trip distances over 50kms & the other is driven hard by me with gear shifts almost near the red line or in the peak torque range and sum times extended periods of idling in heavy traffic in the heat under the blazing sun with the AC on, averaging a few meters an hour, not exceeding a km or two max per trip !
Old 18th February 2011, 19:41   #70
BHPian

can this be true? i was just doing my research online about engine oil life and came across this page of Synlube that claims 15 years life once put in engine or 240,000 kms operation!!!

http://www.synlube.com/since1992.htm

SynLube™ Lube-4-Life 100% Synthetic Colloidal Motor Oil

Also note the stated Viscosity index (VI), operation time in hours and TBN values.

The formula for calculating a perfect oil change is:
Virgin TBN x 10 x engine oil capacity ( engine displacement in cubin inches / HP ) ( MPG ) = Service Interval in Miles

Last edited by agent4ferrari : 18th February 2011 at 20:10.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:44   #71
BHPian

so wish there would be a light 20 weight high detergent 0w60 protection engine oil with SN/CJ-4PLUS, GF-5 and A3/E6 certification and last for 5000 hours operating time, 15 years inside engine time and 2,40,000kms drain interval. supreme !

Last edited by agent4ferrari : 18th February 2011 at 20:50.
Old 19th February 2011, 08:56   #72
BHPian

Generally Regular Oil 5000 KM and Synthetic 7500 KM can be a descent interval to change.

And there can be exceptions too.

Slightly OT but Honda guys recommend to put Synthetic oil (I have seen them asking this to customers coming for the first service) I cant believe it is the right timing to put Synthetic at those few kilometers before engine bedding/running in. Where as Mahindra guys (scorpio to be precise) object putting synthetic oil and even went to say that if put during warranty period even effect any warranty claims!
Old 19th February 2011, 09:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Generally Regular Oil 5000 KM and Synthetic 7500 KM can be a descent interval to change.

And there can be exceptions too.
I believe most of the modern vehicles have an engine oil change interval of 10000 km. I think the Fiat Linea has a oil change interval of 15000 km. And this is the recommended change intervals for our conditions. So why should the synthetic oils not last that long since most of our cars come with mineral oil from the factory?
Old 19th February 2011, 11:00   #74
BHPian

Many cars nowadays are filled with synthetic oil from factory. That is the reason of longer service intervals.

I have tried out a variety of oils in my 800 & found that synthetics cannot be used more than 7,500 Kms.

A good mineral oil is sufficient as per my experience if you religiously change it @ every 5,000 Kms. Right now i am using Shell MGO.

If colour depicts the condition of the oil then most diesel engine oils would be changed at 500 Kms interval.

Once i put Mobil 20W50 Multigrade from my regular mechanic because he had just started stocking oils but regret it. After 5K Kms it was more or less the same colour. Even the guy admitted that it is unusual & never objected me bringing my choice of oils.

Of course Mobil would tell us to put synthetic 0W40 on our heads for "maalish" - Their business is selling oils; not engine oil consultancy for free.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I have tried out a variety of oils in my 800 & found that synthetics cannot be used more than 7,500 Kms.
My Alto's hand book itself recommends an oil change every year / 10000 KM for normal MGO. Therefore a better mineral oil will easily withstand this interval. A good full synthetic oil can easily stretch for another 3000 KM at least, provided the one year Laxman rekha is not exceeded. At the one year mark (or whatever other makes specify) the oil should be changed, even if the car has run only 1000 KM.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th February 2011 at 11:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks