Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:45   #1
BHPian

Fitness certificate for a 2 year old Alto?

Hi,

It happened last week when I was stopped by RTO while travelling to Nagpur from Mumbai in my 2 yrs old Alto.

All the general checking of papers was done (RC, Insurance, License and PUC). Later I was told that my car did not had the fitness certificate (FC) and the fine for the same is Rs.3500/-. I did not know the funda of FC and the officer was not ready to budge.

Later as it happens in India after much of haggling he bargained and fixed the deal at Rs.1000/-

All said and done now, I was searching for what the FC is and why is it needed in a 2yrs old Alto? Could not find much so need the help of the fellow TBHP members regarding FC.

Thanks and Regards,
Pankaj
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:23   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panks15 View Post
Hi,

It happened last week when I was stopped by RTO while travelling to Nagpur from Mumbai in my 2 yrs old Alto.

All the general checking of papers was done (RC, Insurance, License and PUC). Later I was told that my car did not had the fitness certificate (FC) and the fine for the same is Rs.3500/-. I did not know the funda of FC and the officer was not ready to budge.

Later as it happens in India after much of haggling he bargained and fixed the deal at Rs.1000/-

All said and done now, I was searching for what the FC is and why is it needed in a 2yrs old Alto? Could not find much so need the help of the fellow TBHP members regarding FC.

Thanks and Regards,
Pankaj
Were they real RTO guys??? The question of FC comes only for 15 years old vehicles. FC aka Fitness certificate is issued for the vehicles which are above 15 years old. The RC is valid for initial 15 years and it needs renewal after 15 years and then onwards every 5 years. this period varies from state to state. During the renewal process your vehicle will checked by the RTO and FC will be issued only if the vehicle is fit for using it. which means it will be checked for brakes, smoke, tail lamps, rear view mirror, etc a complete working condition of the vehicle.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with what star_aqua said; you have been taken for a ride IMO.
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

You have to really admire the new jargon which our officials can come up with to fleece us. Imagine asking a fitness cert. for a 2 year old Alto. Well Pankaj, you live and you learn. Now we know what these guys can try to fine us for if everything else is in order.
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure its FC? Or was it PUC?
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Are you sure its FC? Or was it PUC?
He mentioned PUC in his first post...

Quote:
All the general checking of papers was done (RC, Insurance, License and PUC). Later I was told that my car did not had the fitness certificate (FC)....

I have many times seen such things happening in new bombay... fake octroi and RTO guys stopping trucks and they run as soon as they spot a police patrol jeep coming their way...

They usual don't wear a full uniform, just khakhi pants and socks with black shoes and a white untucked shirt. They also ride an enfield or bullet or sometimes a sumo. And carry a whistle and police style lathi.
Best way to make these guys out is to check their shoes... they are almost never polished and you will never find a cop with dirty shoes (ofcourse little dirt will be there from usage, but they would be polished everyday).
Asking for an ID is practically useless since none of use are trained to spot a fake id anyways.
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

fitness certificate is mostly necessary only for TAXI permit/regn vehicle only. atleast in Rajasthan, Gujarat and West Bengal.
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

When in doubt, call the police - dial 100. Has always worked for me in such situations. The road blocks, manning personnel have vamoosed in no time at all.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks and Regards,
Pankaj
Old 4th February 2009, 00:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Fitness certificate is a regular (annual?) affair only for commercial (T-board) vehicles. For private vehicles, as mentioned above, it is required to be renewed after 15 years (the RC book doubles as the FC for private vehicles, I think).
Old 4th February 2009, 12:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

i think the police werent mentally FIT, thats why they were asking you FC. the other possibility is that they are highway looters who loot truck walas by pretending that they are POLICE. they have mugged up few words like PUC, License, Permit, FC etc which apply to old trucks and other permit vehicles.
thank god he didnt ask you permit for moving from nagpur to mumbai.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Amit, I think Pankaj mentioned RTO and not the Police....

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i think the police werent mentally FIT, thats why they were asking you FC. the other possibility is that they are highway looters who loot truck walas by pretending that they are POLICE. they have mugged up few words like PUC, License, Permit, FC etc which apply to old trucks and other permit vehicles.
thank god he didnt ask you permit for moving from nagpur to mumbai.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:19   #12
BHPian

Where this incident happened

pankaj, where this incident happened. I mean these RTO official have stopped you in city or on highway.

I also went to nagpur via pune, Aurangabad, Wardha but didnt face this problem.

Please let me know about it as i have to go to nagpur in next few weeks.
Mine is also a MH03 registered vehicle but 1.5 yrs old.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:37   #13

One thing I can do about this matter is to laugh..I have am sure that they were just expecting some bribe..usually when everything is fine with doc's they start with the sticker that has to cover half the headlight ,mirrors, etc etc
Old 4th February 2009, 20:29   #14
BHPian

Guys they were in uniform and were having a police qualis with them.

They were checking all the truck and trailors but it might be simply bad luck or the MH 04 number which made them stopped my vehicle.

But the way they bargained was the most amazing part. it was like if you want the receipt fine would be Rs. 3500/, then came 3000, then 2,500, then 2,000 and at 1500 he said "is se kam nahi hoga aage bhi dena padta hai."

But then some miracle happened and his heart was soft and he settled at 1,000.

I have been driving my other zen in and out of mumbai, pune, daman and nashik but nothing like that had happened.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys they were in uniform and were having a police qualis with them.

They were checking all the truck and trailors but it might be simply bad luck or the MH 04 number which made them stopped my vehicle.

But the way they bargained was the most amazing part. it was like if you want the receipt fine would be Rs. 3500/, then came 3000, then 2,500, then 2,000 and at 1500 he said "is se kam nahi hoga aage bhi dena padta hai."

But then some miracle happened and his heart was soft and he settled at 1,000.
If you got the name of the cop or the number of the qualis or even a receipt, you should lodge a police complaint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks