Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2005, 00:19   #1
BANNED

Cold Air

Do Cold Air induction Kits really work in a country like India where in summer there is real hot air flowing through them hence causing power decrese. Whats better a Cold air induction Kit or a Stock Replacement Filter for performance and FE. I asked one dealer to fit FIPK as its known on my City and he told me that there will be power decrese during afternoons as hot air will flow through the Pipe
Help Please. Is that true. Which filter is better?
Old 27th April 2005, 07:37   #2
BHPian

hey buddy i'm a stockist for performance parts ..i also stock K&N filter's wel what happens is the universal filter is positioned in such a way that it takes in hot air from the engine bay..so hence a fall in power and FE well on the other hand there are very few people here in india who know the ideal setup for the universal filter with the piping...well if the filter is installed properly...then it can take in maximum cold air ...hence not hampering the power of the car...but in a way it is true the climatic conditions in india...are not very suitable...so it all depends on your choice if you want the box replacement or the universal filter's or the fipk kits...well if you want that one extra bit in performance and are willing to compromise on a little bit of FE...well then universal filter's,fipk kits are the way to go...or else if you cant think out of the box...then yea box replcement filter's definately...that was my bit ..so if you need any other info please feel free to pm me...cheers...!!
Old 27th April 2005, 08:04   #3
BHPian

Hi, Well i'm not in india right now so dunno about that. But let me tell you that i had fitted AEM Cold Air Intake which I'd bought from CARDOMAIN.COM on my friends Accord 1993 2.2L engine. And it really works. I guess you already know the funda behind it... air intake goes all the way till the bottom of the car with the filter place at its tip behind the front bumper. Air below engine / front of car is cooler than air on top of engine (where intake opening of stock car is placed) so we have denser air (cold air = denser air) = more oxygen for the same volume of air that intake sucks in. Air-fuel ratio stays same but oxygen quantity increases= combustion is better improves EFFICIENCY of the car.= generates more grunt with each combustion stroke and also gives more miles per gallon.
I've however heard the opposite about the Cold Air intakes in the VW JEtta with 2.0L 2valves /head engine ... generates more power but gives lesser miles per gallon. I wonder why though.
other options wud be to "short-ram" which is a really short length pipe..stays on top of engine ... but i dont know how it works...
it depends on car to car...short-ram / cold-air intake either may work better for different cars. there's other intakes which give u an option of both... can plug additional tube to short ram to make it cold air intake...aisa working hai bhaiyya...
btw..i think it shud work in india too. temperature front/below car always cooler than on top of engine so more denser... most places on this planet i wud guess atleast in india for sure...
i will try and post some pics of the intake we installed on the accord in some days in this same thread... the intake cost $220
bhupi
Old 27th April 2005, 09:29   #4
BHPian

hey buddy blaze the air intake kit your talking about is called TYPHOON COLD AIR INTAKE from K&N ive installed a couple of them and yeathe performance and the out come is amazing...well the pipes are heat resistant...also the curves gives on the piping are perfect and hence very very marginal restriction of air flow through the pipe on curves and bends that's perfection redifned..hehe..cheers...!!
Old 27th April 2005, 13:30   #5
BANNED

Hey,
thanx dragger.
Whats the difference between cold air kits i.e FIPK and typhoon kits. Any difference in fe or performance. Will they fit in the New City.
Cheers buddy.
Old 27th April 2005, 18:49   #6
BHPian

hey buddy the typhoon cold air induction kit mainly concentrates on cold air intake into your engine system via your throttle body...well the FIPK kit is designed for FUEL INJECTION PERFORMANCE KIT...so it also concentrates on the fuel efficiency part of it...so they are different in their own ways and are installed according to the need of the driver...well i also provide custom made cold air induction kits which comprise of a universal filter and custom made piping which delivers maximum cold air to the engine...the reason being the piping is insulated so the cold air from the intake point till the time it reaches the throttle body remains cold only...well the advantage of chosing this custom piping is the availability of it...as it can be developed for any car ...and its more effictive...so well if you do need any other info..please feel free to pm me...cheers...!!

Last edited by dragger : 27th April 2005 at 18:59. Reason: Spell Check
Old 27th April 2005, 18:58   #7
BANNED

Thanx alot there Dragger. From your post i understtod that Typhhon is for performance and FIPK is for FE? THen whats stock replacement filter for. how are the Typhhon and FIPK different. Can i turbo my new City?
Old 28th April 2005, 01:37   #8

Have you considered NX's N-tercooler kit? It's a nitrous set up for your intercooler and sprays N20 on the Intercooler making it much colder than normal, resulting in colder denser air with more O2, allowing for better combustion and thus more hp. In India where it's considerably warmer I'm sure this could come in quite handy. At the push of a button you have 5-10 more hp (NOT from a nitrous kit, from the cold air as a result of colder intercooler). Anyway, something to think about, although it will probably have to be shipped from North America.
Old 28th April 2005, 07:33   #9
BHPian

hey buddy montoya the FIPK kit isnt only concentrating on fuel efficiency it also gives you a raise in power...as it is a conical filter and hence larger volume of air intake ..hence more power...wel the box replacement filter gives absolute fuel efficiency with marginal power raise as the air intake volume remains the same only difference is the air flows freely compared to the stock filter...cheers...!!
Old 28th April 2005, 07:36   #10
BHPian

Well about the new city if your reffering to the NHC then i don think the stock engine is capable of taking any boost...on the other hand a lot of other aspects of the car have to be taken into consideration which i dont think is possible in the case of the NHC..well if we do work on the engine chamber and the pistons and the head and valves may be then TC'ing the car is possible..but still it wouldn't be an absolute success...i would advise sumthing like a lancer or the OHC..if you want to turbo...anyways buddy if you need any more info pm me...cheers....!!
Old 28th April 2005, 08:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought.

Would it be beneficial to put dry ice around the stock air filter of a car??!
Old 28th April 2005, 11:53   #12
BHPian

you know gordan ive always thought about that too..but i wanted to stack it in the pipe that guides in air from outside and directs it to your conical filter.
Old 28th April 2005, 11:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

well grdon and anoops it does help..but for how long??? also the hp increase is not that phenomenal....exact same thing was being discussed by psycho and me...need to actually try it out since i have certain doubts about it...will keep you updated
Old 28th April 2005, 12:16   #14
BHPian

hey ice,
iam talking only in a drag scene..not going to be viable on an everdyday ride....but during a drag air filtered through dry ice will be a lot more colder and denser, it should make a diff.

Last edited by anoops : 28th April 2005 at 12:18.
Old 28th April 2005, 12:17   #15
BANNED

Hey thanx alot dragger. THat means that the Typhhon Kit will decrese FE and increase only performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks