Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 12:28   #16
BHPian

I guess I paid quite a bit, well its over now. I hope to find a good workshop somewhere around Andheri like the one you have mentioned KSM & get parts from better shops (may be one from the list in the link down below)

Most of the 'garages' around here are where the mechanic stays in the shed with his family and no bay, no ramp for under body inspection, nothing more than few sets of spanners and jacks. For a 'quick-fix' they might be good, not sure otherwise.

Also, this might be a repeat, but I found the below link that lists down either the manufacturers or authorised dealers/suppliers of various automotive spares in different cities. Looks interesting:

Indiacar Mall - Automotive Spare Parts, Local Parts Dealers, Buy Car Parts, Buy Two wheeler Spares
Old 17th February 2009, 11:22   #17
BHPian

I recently got disk facing / polish done. This included a change in brake pads and brake shoes, including a change of all cylinders. Basically, a full brake overhauling.

Went to Jaipur 3 days back and can tell you that the braking was FANTASTIC.
The rear wheel drum brakes were set very properly and carefully when the handbrake were not working (after the brake shoe change), this made a huge difference in the overall braking. The car was stopping so quick, which would otherwise have ended in a wheel lock situation or delayed braking.

Arush / Autopsyche has done an excellent job on this.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

brake noise from front and rear brakes

revivivng this thread with a a problem I am facing for last 1 month

on the right side of the car, both the front and rear wheels make a "kuch kuch " sound when i jack up the car and rotate the wheels.

this sound comes only when the wheel is rotating past a particular point. its not a regular continuous sound while rotating..

after noticing this i got the below done

1) got the front disc skimmed and brake serviced completely
2) rear drums also skimmed ( not sure how that is done but was told that has been done ) and the brakes were serviced

even after doing the above, i still get the same sound

do you guys know what this could be because of ??

i need some urgent advice so that i can get this fixed. thanks
Old 4th March 2009, 10:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

guys
i know brakes etc is among the most boring of technical issues. .. but i need some views from u on what the above could be due to ..

pls share ur thoughts so that i can explain to the mechanic accordingly.

thanks
Old 4th March 2009, 11:12   #20
BANNED

brakes and boring? whoever said that?? show me something that beats the sheer sight of manhole cover sized rotors and orange callipers.

could your problem be because the wheel isnt perfectly mounted and 'swings' as it rotates, touching something along the way?

also, I plan to convert my OHC's rear brakes to discs at some point in time. comments? suggestions? experiences?
Old 4th March 2009, 14:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

thalaivaa, who diagnosed it to the brakes?
if the brakes were serviced and the noise hasn't gone, then its a case of clear mis diagnosis.
Please check for a worn driveshaft.
Old 4th March 2009, 15:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Diagnosis given by a "reputed" workshop here sir..

so i guess it was a mere coincidence that both the right side front and rear drive shaft are worn out ??!!

are the shafts on left and right similar so that i can do some testing before buying new shafts ? ( i am guessing in the front, the right side shaft is smaller ? )
Old 4th March 2009, 22:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Agree with that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Drilling brakes will cause micro-fractures in the rotor. Not advised by some respected tuners here. Getting better pads and ventilation should be enough to give much better braking.
Check for the wheel bearing also. there is a remote possibility of something being wrong there because you would have got a constant rumble if there was something wrong with the bearing. but you never know.

Be sure that the wheel/rubber is not touching something..

well its not necessary that its a coincidence. they could have gone because of a bad hit that you have had on the right side.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 4th March 2009 at 22:13.
Old 4th March 2009, 23:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
so i guess it was a mere coincidence that both the right side front and rear drive shaft are worn out ??!!

are the shafts on left and right similar so that i can do some testing before buying new shafts ? ( i am guessing in the front, the right side shaft is smaller ? )
There's no rear drive shaft in an OHC Narayan, it's a FWD. And no, both side Driveshafts are unequal length.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
There's no rear drive shaft in an OHC Narayan, it's a FWD. And no, both side Driveshafts are unequal length.
true buddy !! basics na ! i jacked up the car today and realised that!

but the front wheels are hardly rotating freely while jacked up - as if there is some friction

i hope its just the brakes and not some driveshaft/bearing issue !

have been driving this car so so carefully - even slow down for small pebbles on the road
Old 5th March 2009, 14:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Get the Bearings checked first followed by the calipers. Make sure the sliding pins on the calipers are greased properly and that they have smooth movement.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Have they checked the wheel cylinders ?
They shouldn't be leaky or jammed.
Have a look at the wheel bearings as suggested by others too.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ishan anyway of checking the bearings separately whether they are worn out ? can they be removed and rotated with hand to know this ? will get this checked this weekend..

@Nitrous - yes i suppose the wheel cylinders are checked becos i got the entire brake assembly serviced last week
Old 7th March 2009, 02:44   #29
BHPian

@narayan: please get the rubber bushes in the suspension also checked. They might slit out due to a harsh driving style or wear out eventually.
Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
I plan to convert my OHC's rear brakes to discs at some point in time. comments? suggestions? experiences?
Same here.
I often feel the OHC wheels in the rear get locked during emergency braking and the car spins out. I also feel they are weaker when compared to a car of the same era; eg: baleno.
Tech Gurus help
Old 7th March 2009, 03:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
OHC wheels in the rear get locked during emergency braking and the car spins out.

That's because you pull the handbrake Drift King!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks