Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2009, 10:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
Same here.
I often feel the OHC wheels in the rear get locked during emergency braking and the car spins out. I also feel they are weaker when compared to a car of the same era; eg: baleno.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You say the brakes are weak and also they lock! So what will happen if you put discs at the back?

In my opinion, a stock, or even rather a street stock modified OHC does not need any brake changes. Just a good brake service &/or upgradation of brake pad quality is fine.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 7th March 2009 at 10:43. Reason: Typos
Old 7th March 2009, 13:28   #32
BHPian

Even I got my Front Pads changed today.

Replaced with O/E Nissin. Braking has changed, i feel its got a little less bite than it used to have, but thats just an impression in Mid-day traffic, on a 2km drive home. Haven't got a chance to bed them in yet. Braking should improve once that is done.

Pads cost me 950/- and total came up to 1400. That includes skimming the discs + slight welding job on my exhaust.

Btw, stock lasted me 100770 KMS. And by the looks of things, still had plenty to go. No screeching no fade no loss of braking. Just changed them, cause I came across this thread and thought heck, everyone's doin it, I might as well get it done also. Don't want my baby to feel neglected.

Last edited by toiingg : 7th March 2009 at 13:32.
Old 7th March 2009, 13:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Even I got my Front Pads changed today.

Replaced with O/E Nissin. Braking has changed, i feel its got a little less bite than it used to have, but thats just an impression in Mid-day traffic, on a 2km drive home. Haven't got a chance to bed them in yet. Braking should improve once that is done.
Don't sudden (jam-in) brake for approx 20kms. Let the pads run in. Then feel the difference.
Old 8th March 2009, 05:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You say the brakes are weak and also they lock! So what will happen if you put discs at the back?
I said the wheels not brakes in the rear lock during emergency braking.. Didnt say the brakes were a cause.. If they were i believe the discs in the front would lock first in a fwd car because of the bias present. I projected a seperate observation by using the phrase ' i also feel' they are weaker 'when' compared to a car of the same era. Which means they fail to do the job in a fruitful manner when compared with another machine of the same time and caliber. It wasnt one statement like you said,' they are weak and they lock too' nor in that order. Just thought something could be wrong with the wheels or the braking or suspension or because of any other synchronized mechanism in the rear that is causing it to lock and sometimes also initiate a drift. Or is it the lack of ABS on it..
Thank you for your opinion on the braking pads upgrade. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Ali G : 8th March 2009 at 05:05.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Need to change my OHC brake pads. Whitefield Honda quoted almost 4K for brake pads+labour. Need to know which is the OE (manufacturer, part number) for OHC & also approx price for the brake pads & availability in Bangalore
Old 8th July 2009, 14:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Need to change my OHC brake pads. Whitefield Honda quoted almost 4K for brake pads+labour. Need to know which is the OE (manufacturer, part number) for OHC & also approx price for the brake pads & availability in Bangalore
Nissin is OE for Honda City
Old 8th July 2009, 15:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Nissin is OE for Honda City
Thanks ankit, shall check out in some automobile shops in JC road.whatz the price of the brakepad set ?
Old 8th July 2009, 18:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ankit, shall check out in some automobile shops in JC road.whatz the price of the brakepad set ?
Umm, I'm sorry, I just can't recall. I bought a set once for about 400-500. Then I bought another set later for 1.6k. Don't remember which was which :(
Old 8th July 2009, 18:50   #39
BHPian

AFAIK you will not get pads with NISSIN written on the box. They are sold as Honda OE and should cost you around 2200/-

The box has the Honda sticker on it and also mentions the part number. Its only when you open the box and check you will see Nissin engraved on the outer side of the pads.

Not all shops in JC road have these pads as they are expensive when compared to some malaysian/local stuff (which cost around 600-800).

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Old 9th July 2009, 10:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
AFAIK you will not get pads with NISSIN written on the box. They are sold as Honda OE and should cost you around 2200/-

The box has the Honda sticker on it and also mentions the part number. Its only when you open the box and check you will see Nissin engraved on the outer side of the pads.

Not all shops in JC road have these pads as they are expensive when compared to some malaysian/local stuff (which cost around 600-800).

Cheers
Shrey
Shrey,I had been to JC Road bylanes. I have found 2 shops having brake pads for OHC, one shop has original NISSIN brake pads with NISSIN written on the box, this is original, price quoted 1750Rs. Another shop has Honda sticker box with part number, with Nissin brake pads in it, Price quoted 1750 Rs... So confused as to go with which one, I may probably go with the Original NISSIN brake pads.Yep Local OHC brake pads start with 500 Rs.Strage to hear that toiing got OE Honda - Nissin brake pads for 950 Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Even I got my Front Pads changed today. Replaced with O/E Nissin. Braking has changed, Pads cost me 950/

Last edited by sushrutha : 9th July 2009 at 10:50.
Old 9th July 2009, 17:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
AFAIK you will not get pads with NISSIN written on the box.
True. All Honda OE parts come in the Honda Sticker packed boxes.

Quote:
I have found 2 shops having brake pads for OHC, one shop has original NISSIN brake pads with NISSIN written on the box, this is original, price quoted 1750Rs. Another shop has Honda sticker box with part number, with Nissin brake pads in it, Price quoted 1750 Rs... So confused as to go with which one, I may probably go with the Original NISSIN brake pads.Yep Local OHC brake pads start with 500 Rs.Strage to hear that toiing got OE Honda - Nissin brake pads for 950 Rs
That's quite a FIX there! I'd buy the Honda Sticker Box (at least you can be sure this part if for the Honda City). Also, see that the box just doesn't have 4 brake pads, but also some extra stuff as well (I think mine had some special sand paper kind of thing, etc)
Old 9th July 2009, 21:14   #42
BANNED

Rs.3500 for brake pads for OHC seems high, but it seems OE spare is high.

I have skimmed my 2 front discs of my lancer yesterday

brake disc skimming for Rs.200
TNG ceramic brake pads for Rs.650
labour Rs.150

Labour includes changing tie rod ends costed about Rs.700/set of sona make.

OE sumitomo brake pads cost Rs.2200...But i gone for TNG , some taiwan make i think. But it does its job good

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks