Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:21   #16
BHPian

If he had got it painted from a local shop wala, the paint must not be of a great quality and will come off easily.

Just use prill + rin + surf excel and scroch brite and remove the paint. Use the scrub pad slowly though.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
take a scrotch bright and rin bar. a towel type cloth.

Rub gently in circular fashion along with little warm water.
Problem is the paint is on a "ridged" surface. If it wasn't, I think it would be much easier to get it off with somthing abrasive like scotch brite or mebbe even light sandpapering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Try using brake oil.
Brake oil... but thats corrosive! I don't think I should risk that on tyres!!

Anyway, I checked in the daylight today. The WD40 rub seems to have done more than half the job. The numbers are no longer visible now... only some white smudging. I think the best thing to try now is pressure washing at some washing centre. Hopefully it will get the job done. Just need to find time for it...

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd February 2009 at 01:34.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

can you post image. would really like to see.
Old 22nd February 2009, 02:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Brake oil... but thats corrosive! I don't think I should risk that on tyres!!
Brake oil is corrosive to paint, not tyres. What do you think the service station does, everytime your car comes out with shining tyres.
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

U mean they use brake oil to clean the tyres? Are you sure??

Haven't seen the presence of any kind of oil or anything on the tyres, after getting it back from servicing. But never thought of looking too closely. I used to think whatever car shampoo or solution then use for washing the cars does the job...

Anyways, cant try that immediately as I'll need to buy some. Will consider if the pressure wash dosen't finish the job.

Quote:
can you post image. would really like to see.
Will try doing it tommorrow in daylight.

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd February 2009 at 03:25.
Old 23rd February 2009, 01:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is what the mess approximately looks like. Actually the white isn't this bright in real... but somehow looks so in the pic. The WD40 smudged off the paint to varying extent on the 4 tyres (Yokohama A.drives).

Will try pressure washing or scrubbing with a toothbrush in some soap/car shampoo solution next. Hope that will clean up the remaining mess. :( Problem is that the surface is ridged... else it would be a whole lot easier to get the paint off.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get rid of oil paint from tyres?-ugly-paint-tyres.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2009, 19:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Oh! its a mess. Use kerosene.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:40   #23
BHPian

Brake fluid isnt some super strong acid. Its just mildly corrosive like many household chemicals. Hell I think bird poop can do more damage to your paint than brake fluid!

That is a mess... let you wife drive it and within a week the writing will magically disappear from allthe scrubbing she does when parking
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:08   #24
BHPian

I second the brake oil theory. Don't worry it is not corrosive on the tyres and used in limited quantity will hardly do any damage. You can also try a cloth soaked in paint thinner.... or even use a tooth brush dipped in brake oil, scrub the portion and wash with water immediately if you are not sure.

Another alternative is Kerosene/turpentine, though the success rates could be lower compared to brake oil/thinner.
Old 24th February 2009, 01:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Oh! its a mess. Use kerosene.
Mess is right! I boil everytime I see/think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
Brake fluid isnt some super strong acid. Its just mildly corrosive like many household chemicals. Hell I think bird poop can do more damage to your paint than brake fluid!

That is a mess... let you wife drive it and within a week the writing will magically disappear from allthe scrubbing she does when parking
Hmm, thanks for the reassurance. I was quite apprehensive about the idea. But I guess I'll try it out... as that mess has to go... this way or that. As for my wifey doint that... I don't have one... at least not yet. But my dad is quite adept at those services. Heck... he created that mess in the 1st place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I second the brake oil theory. Don't worry it is not corrosive on the tyres and used in limited quantity will hardly do any damage. You can also try a cloth soaked in paint thinner.... or even use a tooth brush dipped in brake oil, scrub the portion and wash with water immediately if you are not sure.

Another alternative is Kerosene/turpentine, though the success rates could be lower compared to brake oil/thinner.
Would a paint thinner be available only in a paint shop? I hope its available in small quantity. As for the brake fluid/oil, should I just ask for a normal DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid?

Thanks a heap for the responses everybody. Really appreciate it.
Old 25th February 2009, 02:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Since nobody replied, I went ahead and bought a small (100 ml) KBX DOT 3 brake fluid bottle. Hope this does the job. Will try it tommorrow, if I get the time.

The oil shop owner where I bought it from is a chatty guy. He asked me which bike I want it for. I told him the real reason... kinda hoping he might have some experience with it. To my surprise he completely rubbished my claim that it can strip away paint! He told me not to waste my money and use kerosene instead. I told him I don't have any and don't have the time to hunt for it... and I'll just try the brake fluid anyway. I told him I know people for who it has worked. He said it definitely wont work, and told me to just open the bottle and pour some right now on his vehicle which was parked right outside his shop. And he was damn serious!!

I had a good mind to pour some on his vehicle right there... but while I opened the cap I saw the seal inside. Reminded me that its hygroscopic and I better not open it before I use it... also if it spills in my knapsack, it might ruin it. So I quickly declined. He made me promise to let him positively know if it works and prove him wrong... lol!

Now I really hope I can... else I'm gonna sue you guys.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

H E L P.... guys its not working!!

Applied the brake fluid with a toothbrush and scrubbed. Even left it on for about 15 mins and scrubbed again with the toothbrush. Almost no noticible effect!!

Wiped it off later with a cloth dipped in F1 car shampoo, just in case it has any adverse effect on the tyres.

What do I do now? Mebbe try paint thinner?

What about turpentine?

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th February 2009 at 18:00.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:14   #28
BHPian

Racoon, you are going in a very wild direction by putting such costly brake fluids onto the tyres.
just get a cotton ball/ rack dipped in kerosene and apply on it. surely it will come out. i had done the same thing when the puncture guy had put oil paint on my tyre for identification. in my case it was yellow
Old 26th February 2009, 18:22   #29
BHPian

Take car for washing. Those guys used to have kerosine with them. Try your luck there.
Kerosine is also used as thinner in some cases.

Last edited by shabahmad : 26th February 2009 at 18:23.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

how about fighting fire with fire - black paint

Most Viewed