Team-BHP - Accidently drove my car with handbrake on!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Accidently drove my car with handbrake on! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/54092-accidently-drove-my-car-handbrake-2.html)

Its okay, driving around with E-brake will do nothing too severe, since you drove only 5 Km

This should be in the driving typo thread! :D

And next time, NK, make sure to fully engage the hand brake. If you were able to drive with the hand break on, then it seems that they were not fully engaged.

This is one way to make sure that you do not do this again, since you will certainly feel a good amount of resistance, a very good amount.

If you drove 5 kms then probably it was partially engaged. So dont worry, no immediate damage will be there except fo the reduction of some of the brake pedals life. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1187430)
Dudes, tyres will not be affected due to this. The brake pads that are engaged (not all four pads... but may vary depending on the car) will of course take a big beating.

Engine life will suffer to some extent.

Definitely not something not to worrry about... in the sense, try whatever way you can to not forget to disengage the parking brakes in future. For me it has become an infalliable habit to check the parking brake before taking off.

I stand corrected... No damage to tyres indeed.
By the way I almost decided to putting up some post-its on my windshield to remind me to disengage handbrakes.
And this was after I had drive 25 kms on handbrakes stupid:
Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramie2400 (Post 1187375)
you realised after 5kms and not after 50kms

Yes, this happened with my friend.
We were going to some place in 118NE. It was my friend's car.
He was driving and was telling us that car not pulling well.
We checked engine bay etc. Of course, not found any problem.
After about 50 km, we stopped for chai paani. Friend checked the rear tyres. Hot stuff.:D
Aahaa, got problem. No no no, not handbrake but assumed that brake pads are locked.
Jack put on, seperated tyre, and found that brake pads are in active condition.
Tried to pull brakepads to free condition with help of screw driver and what not but invain.
At last, friend checked the handbrakes and all are relieved.:D

the only damage that happens - will happen to the brake pads. If you drove moderately over a smallish distance i.e. around 5 kms - expect no damages to either the engine or the tyres. However with a heavy foot - the engine could have been affected over a longish travel distance. Don't worry about the tyres. No damage done here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1187688)
Yes, this happened with my friend.
We were going to some place in 118NE. It was my friend's car.
He was driving and was telling us that car not pulling well.
We checked engine bay etc. Of course, not found any problem.
After about 50 km, we stopped for chai paani. Friend checked the rear tyres. Hot stuff.:D
Aahaa, got problem. No no no, not handbrake but assumed that brake pads are locked.
Jack put on, seperated tyre, and found that brake pads are in active condition.
Tried to pull brakepads to free condition with help of screw driver and what not but invain.
At last, friend checked the handbrakes and all are relieved.:D

50kms..well sometimes the most obvious reasons are overlooked..so true isint it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec (Post 1187720)
50kms..well sometimes the most obvious reasons are overlooked..so true isint it?

While i was travelling from Bangalore to Hyderabad my car was hit by a rock which rolled down to the middle of the road. The rock had badly damaged the right rear wheel and hammed and locked the rear brakes. It was around 1AM and nobody were around, so changed the wheels from stepny and drove back to bangalore with one wheel breaks locked. I drove for 70Kms that way. Next day the damage the damage was assesed to be Break Bads, Wheel cover melted and break oil.

As others have said, 5 km is not too much to worry about. Nearly all of us may have done this for some distance sometime. However, did you not notice the drag and the noise. Perhaps your mind was on something else (also may have happened to nearly all of us sometime).

My car doesn't move a bit with handbrakes on!
May be because I fully engage the handbrake every time I put it on.

actually its always a good idea to check the instrument cluster before talking off and shutting.
Please!! those are not show piece in your car.

Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. I would be careful the next time around. I think one of the members asked if I didn't hear any noise. As I mentioned in my OP, I did feel some resistance and noise, but since I am a new driver, I thought I wasn't driving properly. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NK@Hyd (Post 1189401)
Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. I would be careful the next time around. I think one of the members asked if I didn't hear any noise. As I mentioned in my OP, I did feel some resistance and noise, but since I am a new driver, I thought I wasn't driving properly. stupid:

Also try to engage the handbrake fully every time. This will give you a chance to know you are on handbrake when the car doesn't move.

ya thats a good way of keeping track of the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj_koova (Post 1189442)
Also try to engage the handbrake fully every time. This will give you a chance to know you are on handbrake when the car doesn't move.

if your car moves even with handbrake on that means you havent enganed the brakes fully. so dont worry they havent wore out.
my wagon R wont move even a bit when my handbrake is engaged. i think you should take a couple od seconds and engage the brakes completely.