Team-BHP - Accidently drove my car with handbrake on!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Accidently drove my car with handbrake on! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/54092-accidently-drove-my-car-handbrake.html)

Okay, first laugh all you can :uncontrol

So, I took out my almost 2 month old Hyundai i10 today and forgot to push down the handbrake. I could feel some resistance but thought since I am a new driver, its just me. When I finally realized my folly, I had already driven for almost 5 kms.

Should I anticipate any damage to tyres, brakes etc? I checked with a mechanic and he casually said that if I am able to apply brakes, there's no harm done.

NK@Hyd welcome to the world of driving!

No laughing matter dude. This has happened to most of us.
Apart from reducing the life of your tires/brake pads by a few 100 kms, no other damage.

By the way, I am very sure your next thread will be titled something like this "Cranked my engine when the car was already started. Is my engine damaged?" :)

Regards,

nothing for worry about..we all learn from our mistakes. I am sure you will check on your hand brake from now on and will know what the problem is if you feel resistance..

Quote:

Originally Posted by amohit (Post 1187285)

By the way, I am very sure your next thread will be titled something like this "Cranked my engine when the car was already started. Is my engine damaged?" :)

Regards,

nothing to worry about NK almost all of has done this mistake in the begining.

that was one funny reply lol:

Quote:

Regards,

Spooky! That has already happened to me. Errrm...does it damage the engine? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec (Post 1187289)
nothing for worry about..we all learn from our mistakes. I am sure you will check on your hand brake from now on and will know what the problem is if you feel resistance..

Thanks KSM. I hopefully will not repeat this mistake. There's always scope to commit new onesstupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by karankapoor (Post 1187300)
nothing to worry about NK almost all of has done this mistake in the begining.

Phew...I finally feel part of a group :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by NK@Hyd (Post 1187231)
Okay, first laugh all you can :uncontrol

So, I took out my almost 2 month old Hyundai i10 today and forgot to push down the handbrake. I could feel some resistance but thought since I am a new driver, its just me. When I finally realized my folly, I had already driven for almost 5 kms.

Should I anticipate any damage to tyres, brakes etc? I checked with a mechanic and he casually said that if I am able to apply brakes, there's no harm done.

hmmmmmm....you drove for 5kms with the handbrake on........hmmmmm......that means only one thing......you didn't have to brake to slow down, all you must've had to do is release the gas pedal & the car would AUTO BRAKE lol:
Only kidding bro.....happens to a lot of us, even I've done it, but not for 5 kms at a stretch :D. You would eventually get used to the subconcious checks everyone performs before starting from a standstill.

NK, i also made the same mistake some years back. i stepped hard on the gas pedal while reversing but my hand brake was fully on. you can guess the situation. don't worry, things like this happen, but be careful from now on.

Relax..its good you realised after 5kms and not after 50kms :p so nothing to worry about,make sure next time you see the instrument cluster for indications before driving :)

It Happens with me sometimes as well, Good thing there is a Alarm in the Civic and City which keep beeping if you move the car with the Hand-Brake On along with the warning light on the instrument cluster. A useful thing

as every ones already mentioned, its happened to a lot of people...and we jus learn from our own mistakes..and no serious damage jus slightly reduced the life of your brake pads..

Quote:

Originally Posted by NK@Hyd (Post 1187338)
Spooky! That has already happened to me. Errrm...does it damage the engine? :D

no engine damage but it doesn spoil the starter..

rev

In skoda there is a long beeping sound if something like that happens.

Still, it wont harm your engine. Just a small decrement in life of your rear brakes and tyres.

@NK@Hyd
Though you posted in Deb but your post reminds me days when I started driving..
I know that feeling when we realise what has happened!

Hi NK,

If you were able to drive 5 Km with only "some resistance", it also means you had not pulled the handbrake lever up fully (another common mistake all of us make).

If you pull the lever up fully, your attempts to move the car will be met with more than "some resistance", a handbrake is effective only if it is fully engaged.

If fully engaged it will also remind you to disengage when you try to drive off!

Cheers,

Quote:

No laughing matter dude. This has happened to most of us.
Apart from reducing the life of your tires/brake pads by a few 100 kms, no other damage.

Regards,

Dudes, tyres will not be affected due to this. The brake pads that are engaged (not all four pads... but may vary depending on the car) will of course take a big beating.

Engine life will suffer to some extent.

Definitely not something not to worrry about... in the sense, try whatever way you can to not forget to disengage the parking brakes in future. For me it has become an infalliable habit to check the parking brake before taking off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravveendrra (Post 1187422)
Hi NK,

If you were able to drive 5 Km with only "some resistance", it also means you had not pulled the handbrake lever up fully (another common mistake all of us make).

If you pull the lever up fully, your attempts to move the car will be met with more than "some resistance", a handbrake is effective only if it is fully engaged.

If fully engaged it will also remind you to disengage when you try to drive off!

Cheers,

very true clap:

i think thats something all of us should keep in mind as well.