Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 11:15   #1
BHPian

Resting Foot on Clutch while Idling

I've a tendency to rest my foot over clutch pedal while idling like when I am waiting on traffic lights etc...the car is generally in neutral and all this while the clutch pedal is depressed.

Is it a bad practice - yes, Would it have any impacts on the clutch in the long term? - Don't know!!!

Please enlighten
Old 25th February 2009, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Certainly not a good practise.

This was discussed a while ago and feedback was that it puts stress on the pivot pin. I am not sure how the damage happens. So as a rule, I always shift to neutral and leave the clitch alone when at idle unless I am sure I will move in a few seconds.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:42   #3
BHPian

It is very tempting to keep the clutch pressed while idling on a signal in anticipation of moving quickly off the block. The practice is lethal for your clutch plates. One should shift to neutral and press the brake or pull the hand brake instead.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not a good practice at all. The left foot should always be on the floor except when engaging the clutch. It should not be used for anything else (in the car that is). The right foot should be used for accelerator or brake (not both at the same time) and not for anything else. In case you have the habit as noted by you, practice and within a day or two, this will not happen again.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:14   #5
BHPian

sonirohit,thats a very bad habit.It will wear out your clutch plates much faster.If the car is already in neutral at a signal,why would you do this?It doesn't even take a second to slot it into first when the light changes.
PS-I hope you don't also have the habit of riding the clutch in traffic while the car is in motion.That is a very dangerous habit.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Increase the clutch play to your requirement, you can surely keep a light foot on it.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:51   #7
BHPian

How about when you are driving and City limit where you need to change your Gear very ofter. If you just keep the leg on the cluth/ or just a slight press resting you heel on the floor. Will this situation also your clutch will have bad effect ?
Old 25th February 2009, 12:56   #8
BHPian

I think that pressing the clutch while at idle not only leads to shorter clutch life but also that it decreases FE as fuel consumption is increased.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:02   #9

Guys, any tips on how to use the clutch and breaks while going downhill (not so steep, about 25-30 degees) on a very very bad potholed stretch, virtually nonexistant rain-eroded road. I shift to second gear, depress the clutch completely and go slow breaking on and off to keep the car from sudden movements. Tried crawling down in second gear, leaving the clutch free, but feels very rough on the suspension when hitting those unavoidable trenches on the road and tends to stop as the car loses the momentum. I have to drive through 100 meters of this road to negotiate everyday, your suggestions/comments would help my Wagon R live longer
Old 25th February 2009, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

definitley not a good idea if you wanna get max life from your cltuch plates and fly wheel !
Old 25th February 2009, 13:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Increase the clutch play to your requirement, you can surely keep a light foot on it.
this may be a bit off topic here but is the clutch play adjustable when you are having a hyudarulic clutch ?
Old 25th February 2009, 13:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
How about when you are driving and City limit where you need to change your Gear very ofter. If you just keep the leg on the cluth/ or just a slight press resting you heel on the floor. Will this situation also your clutch will have bad effect ?
Not really !!. Infact in a city like b'lore it is really difficult to drive around within the city with your foot off the clutch completely !! as you come to dead stop every few meters.

Last edited by jango : 25th February 2009 at 13:54.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
this may be a bit off topic here but is the clutch play adjustable when you are having a hyudarulic clutch ?
Nope & thanks for reminding me too.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Definitely not a good habit and I'm sure that this habit will have a tendency to creep in while driving in heavy traffic too, like they say, habits die hard !! Clutch is to be used only to change gears, nothing else....some cars even have a dummy pedal to rest the foot on while not using the clutch
Old 25th February 2009, 14:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Give your feet rest, put the hand brakes and well, relax!!
This applies to Bangalore traffic, Here if you are stuck, you wont move that easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks