Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 09:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Almost every car sees a good FE bost after the first 3 services. Please be patient and wait.
That is true, but I have doubts whether the boost would be more than say 1 kmpl.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:54   #17
zma
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Exactly, just wait till you get the 2nd servicing done.

BTW ZMA looks like you are from KTM. Which place to be precise ?
i am near to manorama-erayilkadavu...
Old 2nd March 2009, 02:15   #18
BHPian

I hadn't done my oil change for the last 10,000 km and hence my gas mileage was kinda low. But after getting some decent synthetic oil for my engine (Castrol Syntec 5W-30) I've noticed almost a 25% increase in my gas mileage.

Keep in mind that I almost always fill up the same brand of gas (Shell), so fuel quality shouldn't be a concern.

I can imagine how sludged the engine must've been before, with the extreme cold weather and 10,000 km old oil.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 2nd March 2009 at 02:17.
Old 29th January 2012, 23:06   #19

Re: Low mileage of new I1O KAPPA

I am currently experiencing a low FE on my i10 kappa, around 10 kmpl with 30% AC in city driving conditions and thats when I tried to look for more information on TBHP.

The vehicle has clocked 11000 KMS in 2.5 years and I have got the servicing done only for the first 3 mandatory ones. Is it necessary to get the service done every 6 months as per the maintenance chart, or after every 10,000 KMS is good enough? In that case I would still wait for another 7,000 KMS on the Odo as the 3rd service was done at 8,000.

I used to drive on higher gear with low rpm , so that is something I will be careful about. Any tips on periodic servicing as I mostly use my car for highway drives not longer than 500 kms in one trip (once in 3 months) and when in city, not more than 100 Kms a month.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:17   #20
BHPian

I have filled fuel in my i10 as many as 57 times since we purchased the car in December 2010 and I have run an FE test on 25 occasions.

The worst FE: 15.69 kmpl
The best FE: 21.1 kmpl
The average FE: 17.19 kmpl

Check out the attached FE file for more readings.

FUEL COST.doc
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:05   #21

Misquitas, thanks a lot for posting the FE range. I am really thrilled to see the kind of analysis you have done each time you refuelled. This proves to be good benchmark for Max-Min range to monitor the FE. I will now closely watch the reading after the next service as I fee I am getting a very low mileage on my Kappa. Hopefully I should fall in your given range.
rohitkadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 18:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitkadam View Post
Misquitas, thanks a lot for posting the FE range. I am really thrilled to see the kind of analysis you have done each time you refuelled. This proves to be good benchmark for Max-Min range to monitor the FE. I will now closely watch the reading after the next service as I fee I am getting a very low mileage on my Kappa. Hopefully I should fall in your given range.
Thanks for your interest in my FE chart. You may notice the "(T)" indicator which suggests that I have used the auto-top up method. Also, I have scrupulously used the same dispenser from the same petrol pump all these 25 FE tests so that the discrepancy is as minimal as possible. Besides, my sedate driving style and my practice of shifting gears at about 2K rpm (my gear changes closely follows that of the gear-shift indicator on the new i10 models), has helped maximise FE figures.

If you follow a similar system, you will be in a better position to monitor your FE readings over a period of time.

I must admit that you may find it difficult to get similar FE figures in the traffic-infested Bangalore, unless of course you drive the car between 1 am and 5 am! Having said that, the aim of my FE readings has been to prove that the i10 CAN deliver good FE readings in real world conditions, provided the road conditions and driving styles are favourable for this purpose.

In any case, I would be interested to read about the FE figures on your i10. Do keep us informed.

Last edited by misquitas : 5th February 2012 at 18:25.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Thanks for your interest in my FE chart. You may notice the "(T)" indicator which suggests that I have used the auto-top up method. Also, I have scrupulously used the same dispenser from the same petrol pump all these 25 FE tests so that the discrepancy is as minimal as possible. Besides, my sedate driving style and my practice of shifting gears at about 2K rpm (my gear changes closely follows that of the gear-shift indicator on the new i10 models), has helped maximise FE figures.

If you follow a similar system, you will be in a better position to monitor your FE readings over a period of time.
Thanks, this really helps. When you say "auto-top up method", does this mean doing a full tank each time you refuel? So the reading would be taken as the difference between the current top-up and the next top-up?
Old 6th February 2012, 22:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitkadam View Post
Thanks, this really helps. When you say "auto-top up method", does this mean doing a full tank each time you refuel? So the reading would be taken as the difference between the current top-up and the next top-up?
Yes. Let me explain what I do. Let me, for example, say that my current ODO reading is 1000 kms.

1. When my fuel tank is at half level or slightly below it, I go to my regular petrol pump and to the same dispenser.

2. I then ask the attendant to top up the fuel using the auto cut-off (since I pay by credit card, the attendant is not bothered about the odd value of fuel inserted).

3. Once the dispenser automatically cuts off fuel when the petrol tank is nearly full, I note down the amount and value of fuel filled at the pump.

4. I then travel for, say, about 300 kms and repeat Steps 1 to 3. Assuming this time, I top-up with 15 ltrs of fuel.

My FE would be as follows:

Distance travelled = 1300 ODO - 1000 ODO = 300 kms
Fuel consumed = 15 ltrs
FE = 20 kmpl.

The same procedure is repeated as often as possible.

Last edited by misquitas : 6th February 2012 at 22:10.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:26   #25
BHPian

My Father-in-law has been driving an i10 for about couple of years now and he hates his i10 for the mileage. Likes the way it drives, but says the mileage under similar conditions is better in Honda City. I must add here that most of his driving is done inside Rourkela (a quaint small town in North-west Orissa with exceptional roads and absolutely no traffic).

Reading at owner's opinion on the mileage (other than of Misquita), I have a feeling that the low fuel economy of i10 is more a rule than an anomaly.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
My Father-in-law has been driving an i10 for about couple of years now and he hates his i10 for the mileage. Likes the way it drives, but says the mileage under similar conditions is better in Honda City. I must add here that most of his driving is done inside Rourkela (a quaint small town in North-west Orissa with exceptional roads and absolutely no traffic).

Reading at owner's opinion on the mileage (other than of Misquita), I have a feeling that the low fuel economy of i10 is more a rule than an anomaly.
Since you mentioned that the road conditions are great, kindly ask your father-in-law to consider the following while driving his i10 :

1. Change gears at around 2K rpm.
2. Get into the 5th gear at around 60kmph.
3. If the climatic conditions are favourably cool, consider driving without/minimal AC (especially given the fact that your dad-in-law's town has less traffic, hence less dust/exhaust pollution)
4. Drive in a sedate manner.

Ask him to conduct an FE test using the auto cut-off method on 2-3 occasions (you may use a chart similar to the one that I have attached in an earlier post on this thread). Then, let us know the results.

Last edited by misquitas : 7th February 2012 at 10:46.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Since you mentioned that the road conditions are great, kindly ask your father-in-law to consider the following while driving his i10 :

1. Change gears at around 2K rpm.
2. Get into the 5th gear at around 60kmph.
3. If the climatic conditions are favourably cool, consider driving without/minimal AC (especially given the fact that your dad-in-law's town has minimal traffic, hence less dust/exhaust pollution)
4. Drive in a sedate manner.

Ask him to conduct an FE test using the auto cut-off method and let us know the results.
All that sounds so good. But, I guess most people are used to driving instinctively and I must point out here that he drives multiple cars (read SX4, Toyota Corolla, Honda City currently) and i10 seems to perform the worst in terms of fuel efficiency when compared to the listed ARAI specs.

This is pretty much apples to apples comparison since he drives all the cars in pretty much the same manner.

@Misquita: You might have a very technical approach to your driving and I am sure you take care of your car and driving better than most people do. So I can also assume that you would get most out of any other car as well.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
All that sounds so good. But, I guess most people are used to driving instinctively and I must point out here that he drives multiple cars (read SX4, Toyota Corolla, Honda City currently) and i10 seems to perform the worst in terms of fuel efficiency when compared to the listed ARAI specs.

This is pretty much apples to apples comparison since he drives all the cars in pretty much the same manner.

@Misquita: You might have a very technical approach to your driving and I am sure you take care of your car and driving better than most people do. So I can also assume that you would get most out of any other car as well.
It is true that I take interest in attaining good FE figures from the cars (which I have owned so far) without compromising on the basic comforts inside the car (e.g. if it is warm or dusty, I will freely use the AC, etc). If you check my previous posts on my Alto 800, you will find that I have got consistent FE figures of around 19 kmpl.

But there's nothing technical about my driving skills. A common sense approach to achieve the maximum out of a depreciating asset, without compromising on the benefits of owning a car (basic comfort, basic safety, etc.)
Old 7th February 2012, 14:06   #29
BHPian

My i10 Kappa asta manual:
Its well built, nice interiors, useful Bluetooth, steering audio & BT controls..
but has poor fuel efficiency (my much more powerful and fun-to-drive 1.6 Fiat Siena had about the same mileage), doesn't pull well in any gear (have to keep downshifting in city traffic for turnings and overtaking), engine doesn't like to be revved, strains on steep hills..
Its just not a driver's car, its OK for pottering around in town at snail's pace..
anyway with the traffic nowadays you just can't be an enthusiastic driver.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

The driver remaining the same, the fuel efficiency depends completely upon driving conditions. No matter what you try, every car will give poorer fuel efficiency in stop - start city traffic compared to open roads. If there is not much traffic, one will average much better than when in stop start traffic where much fuel is burnt at traffic signals.

In Bangalore city traffic, my cedia averages 10km/l while my new brio averages 12.5km/l. On the highway, this jumps to around 14 for the cedia and upto 18-19 in the brio. I drive enthusiastically and don't drive for fuel economy and am happy with what i get. Even when I do try driving in hypermiling mode, there's barely a difference of 1-1.5km/l so I don't see a point of enduring the pain of a fuel efficiency drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks